Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Ford Bus

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scotts52, Mar 26, 2015.

1. scotts52

scotts52

Bus 1.jpeg So I made a deal to drag this old girl home. I need help identifying what year it is. I know it's Ford, just don't know what year. I'm thinking motorhome or just simply something unique to have fun in. Bus 4.jpeg Bus 2.jpeg Bus 3.jpeg Bus 4.jpeg

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. scotts52

scotts52

Don't know why the one pic posted twice. Oh well.

3. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Looks like it missed the scrap drives,lots of work for that one,35 ford is my guess.you can see the shape of the front fender on the body.

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. dos zetas

dos zetas

I'd be totally worth it. Maybe you could find a big ol' farm truck of the correct year for the missing front parts, a big one that rodders didn't need.

volvobrynk and scotts52 like this.

5. Lots of work ahead indeed, can't really help on the i.d. but, no disrespect intended, it would make a good chicken coop.

6. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

How much did they give you? ;)

7. '37 Ford. Only year for that dash. Notice it has a starter button on the dash. '36 and earlier had a foot pedal starter switch.

8. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

Looks a lot like my '36 dash. '37 has the battery tray notched into the firewall.

Gary

9. scotts52

scotts52

Body is by Superior

10. scotts52

scotts52

I'm thinking about making a motor home out of it. Too cool to leave it sitting and rotting. I'm a sucker for oddball vehicles.

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. scotts52

scotts52

I used to know what an even older Chevy bus was at. He crushed it. Not for the money, just because. The remains are still where he crushed them.

12. scotts52

scotts52

Will other years bolt up to the cowl?

13. scotts52.....good save.....and good luck.....

14. scotts52

scotts52

Thanks. I've know about it for a few years. Out in this part of the country it's boom and bust. Lots and lots of nothing and once in awhile BOOM, you find something everyone else has either overlooked or didn't know about. I think up towards Spokane things may be more plentiful but not around here. I've seen a lot disappear in the last 6 years that I wished I'd followed up on. Just didn't have the space at the time.

15. well....were're not in Kansas any more.....

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

That's a nice body, and I like your plans a lot. But I would go and look for a 1935-1937 truck, to take frame parts and body work from. The dash looks very similar in that year span. There is a threat about 1935-37 Trucks for the masses. There is some damn good info.

Any plans for drivetrain?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  17. I'd just look for a old motorhome and do a frame swap... I know, that's frowned on, but this would be a perfect candidate and older motorhomes with crappy coaches and low-mileage running gear are cheap and easy to find. Find one with roughly the right wheelbase, then all you need to track down is the front sheetmetal.

18. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I see your point, but I got to ask this:

Will there be any tittle issues with the frame swap, will it be possible to title it as a 1937 Ford, if the frame is a 1973 Winnebago?

Over
    here the frame sets the title name and year of manufacture.

But if you run a stock frame, that fit the body a sheet metal, but run a modern drivetrain, from said mobilhome, and adapt it to fit on the frame. You get no issues with look, and shape of you floor, general body etc.

But if there is no title issue find a good, strong running Mobilhome and get cracking.

But I like the close to stock appearance, and I would love to see a School bus converted in to and auto camper, but keeping as much as the stuck look as possible.
    If you could build a dinning area with buss benches, use the seat frame as table, and construct a bed from the two seats turned so they face each other, with good madrases between and so on.

On not cutting out the windows, or block them off. Just keep it looking like a school us. That would be cool.
    But I know I'm unique in an odd way, and few guy gets my Ideas.
    But that doesn't barthes (sp?) me.

19. Moby

Moby
    Member Emeritus

Use 34-36 International truck front sheet metal - big enough, relatively cheap and a great looking grill.

IHCs had two hood lengths in those years and the longer one would probably look best. I'm no expert but C-1 through at least C-15 (which I own) are short hoods, I think C-30s and up are longer. Not sure what other numbers there are. I had a big block Buick in the short hood model with only a slight recess behind one valve cover, so the short one isn't extremely short. Easiest way to tell the difference from a photo is short hood models have "skirted" front fenders (like 34 Ford cars) and long hood models have unskirted front fenders (like 32 Ford cars).

Whatever nose you use, that bus will look cool and be totally fun when finished, it's just the right size. How do I know? Me and a buddy drove a full size, totally stock 1951 White school bus from the east coast to the Rockies back in the day, quite an adventure! Top speed was about 60 mph so we held it to about 52 mph. 46 hours from DC to Denver (with a stop at the arch) took 46 hours, we were just ripping it up!!! We picked up hitchhikers along the way and had 7 on board at one time. There may have been some partying going on but I can't remember. :)

Model T1, Hnstray and volvobrynk like this.
  20. scotts52

scotts52

I've been contemplating several ideas. 1. To do a frame swap onto an RV chassis. 2. To find a correct 37 front frame clip and weld it on. I know I'm different but I'm a sucker for original frames. (Maybe I was dropped as a child) :D
    3. Adapt a later model front clip.
    I've been thinking about getting a later RV that's relatively cheap, swap the drivetrain, then scavenge what I like from the inside of the RV to use. Like bathroom, etc. One thing I'd like to find, and maybe there's similar ones out there, is to take the seats out of a 70's GM motorhome. They have a pair of seats in the back that face each other that pull and slide down and form a bed. Of course if I had access to one of these rigs I'm sure I'd raid a lot more than the seats.

At the same time though, I've considered making everything out of wood and making it look retro like it was made as a house car back in the day. Ironically, I just ran into someone the other day that happens to have a 37 Ford bus. Didn't have a whole lot of time to talk about it but I believe he said it was mounted on a Chevy motorhome chassis.

Model T1 and volvobrynk like this.
  21. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

That thing is awesome. Too bad it got trailered. I keep an eye on Craigslist in western Mt, Northern Id, and Eastern Wa and it seems like with a little patience you will find a 35-37 ford big truck to donate a frame and clip. Unless you're picky, any of those 3 years should work even if it is a '37. That stuff turns up. You can pick the bones and then sell the cab to someone who wants to build a rudy truck. I have heard that frame swaps in this era are tough because the steering box and the fenders want to occupy the same area. This is hearsay though, a measuring tape will tell the truth. An RV can certainly provide a powertrain and some fittings but it would be worth checking out what some of the vintage travel trailer people are up to. Custom vintage Airstreams are full of very nice woodwork. If you copy what they're up to, you could have an amazing machine when you're done.

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. I've always wanted to build a old school bus into a camper/motor homes.

Personally there are a lot of old motor homes that have great running gears but the body's are crap,,that's how I would do a old bus. HRP

volvobrynk likes this.