Register now to get rid of these ads!

Should I cut up a perfectly good hood?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ShakeyPuddin55, Feb 2, 2006.

1. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

Hey guys,
    I'm running a Hilborn stack injection setup on my 55 Chevy with 12" ram tubes.
    My front end is all original steel and I really didn't want to use any fiberglass.
    I have a near perfect hood that I planned on cutting so the ram tubes will stick out of it.
    I brought it to a guy who is helping with some other fabrication on the car. He said he could cut and properly brace the hood so I can still use the hinges. I dont want a lift off hood.
    I called him tonight and he said "are you sure you want to cut this hood, it's so nice"

Now he has me feeling guilty about it. I know it's my car and my decision, but now I feel bad. What do you all think??

2. see if you can find another hood, Ive had 4 different hoods on my truck, one with a scoop, one peaked, the stock one, and now one with a hole cut in it with a chrome scoop sticking through

3. What better to cut up then a " perfectly good hood " I Wouldn't waste my time cutting up a bent up rusty one ...... of course I punch holes in Perfectly good hoods all the time! And it make them "perfectly better hoods " I Say cut it !!!! "Cut ME MICK"

4. DrJ

DrJ

A fiberglass hood is traditional on a car like you are building.
    It's been used in (race) cars since before your car was built.

5. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

Well Shackey, I've been in this spot before, whacked a cherry hood then after a while went back to the original setup. I'd find another hood my 2c.

6. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

How far are you in the build? Is the hood the next step, or will it hold you up from moving forward?

There are a ton of hoods out there that have been cut already. Give it a while and search for one. If you find a good candidate, you're set. If you can't, then at least you tried and will have a clear mind about it when you cut the hole in your good one.

-Brad

7. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

The car is probably making it's maiden voyage to the track in 2 weeks. I can run without a hood since I dont run a mechanical fan.

I do have another rough hood, but it will require that much more body work to get ready for paint.

Maybe I will hold off for a while.

[​IMG]

8. 53chieftian

53chieftian

who's to say your new hood wont end up as bad or worse than the bad hood when the hole gets cut into it? I would waste my time on the bad one so that you dont end up with 2 bad ones! Just my 2 cents.

9. GO-rilla

GO-rilla

Yep, for sure.

10. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

That's exactly the kinda car that 'glass is made for. When I was in high school in the 60's and running tri-5's, glass frontends were the hot setup. I agree with DrJ...keep the cherry tin and go glass!

11. TINGLER

TINGLER

I agree with using 'glass.

Not that I'm agianst cutting old stuff up, but that car needs some fiberglass...
    If you don't mind me asking, Shakypudding, what do you have against fiberglass? More importanly, race weight 'glass?

BTW...I love that car, I have a few pics of it here in my studio, for inspiration. :)

12. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

you can buy a glass one from VFN in street weight and use your hinges and no springs or light ones??? that is what is on the black magic 55..........looking good by the way.. like the injection on it.........:cool:

13. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

I have nothing against fiberglass and I know how popular glass fronts were on the old gassers, but I've got lots of nice front end sheetmetal. If mine were rusted or needed work, and I had to start from scratch, I'd probably consider glass.

I would probably consider a glass hood but my motor is set so far back, I have to cut the back of the hood also, so it would end up U shaped. I wouldn't think a glass hood would retain it's strength. I'd be afraid I'd crack it even with the springs removed from the hinges.

14. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

I ran into this same problem last year - I solved it by grabbing another hood and sticking it in the attic. By still having a "good" hood - I didn't have any guilt when I wacked mine. Of course mine was for a lowly Rambler, but they arn't always easy to find in nice shape either.

Attached Files:

15. mikey1610

mikey1610
    from San Diego

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nads
    Well you know I once said I'd never suck man-boob for a quart of Colt 45, but I did. So what's your point?

Fuck confucious I think this is the best quote i have ever heard.

16. kenagain

kenagain
    from so cal

or a diamond in a goats ass you still got a goat==
    cut the bad one see what a big hole it has to clear with hinges n you will save the good one
    been there n done that
    2 cents worth
    Kenagain newby now no more fng

17. McKee

McKee

......you should only cut up the best stuff,.....leave the rusty, shitty stuff for the restorers!

18. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I've got a pretty nice 55 hood that had a teardrop scoop glassed to it. It's got a bunch of 1/8" holes drilled in it for the pop rivets the guy used to keep the scoop on. You can have it CHEAP!

19. Amen.... Let the guys who like to throw money at stuff have the shitty stuff so they can have there "before and after "shots laying out at the car shows!

20. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

If ya' gotta brace the cut out opening anyway,(as the opening comes from the trailing edge of the hood,i.e. eng. setback),I would go with whatever material you or the person doing the cutting and bracing is comfy with.

If your metal hood is that nice,keep it ,or sell it for major bucks to finance
    another portion of your build.

you are gonna' get numerous different opinions here on which hood to use.

you are the only one who has to live with which type,and condition ,of hood you whack up.

what does your gut feeling tell you?
    I would cut either without hesitation!

Don't be scared,young man!;)

21. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

Thanks for the offer. Too bad we are at opposite ends of the country.

22. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

just do it, no balls, no air medal.

23. nocoastsaint

nocoastsaint

You had no problems cutting up the car, so why the issue with the hood? If it isn't going to take a hundred years, do as was suggested and find a hood with a hole in it. If you can't, screw it. Make that hood yours.

nocoastsaint