Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Want intake with oil filler tube

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mikeyc182, Apr 5, 2015.

1. mikeyc182

mikeyc182
    from Boston,Ma

I have a 1975 350 and I want to switch out the intake with one that has an oil filler tube. (I have a set of old chevy valve covers with out oil fillers that I want to use) My question is, can I buy any small block chevy intake with an oil filler tube? Thanks guy!

p.s its a single 4 barrel

2. Have you checked the classifieds here?
    Will the valve covers fit your heads?
    answer: yes

3. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just bought an Edelbrock with the oil fill tube from JEG'S for a SBC

4. aaggie

aaggie

That's one of the great things about SBCs, almost everything will interchange. Swap meets are full of used manifolds and new ones are available from Edelbrock and others. Some manifolds don't have the fill tube hole drilled out so you can add it or leave the blank area.

5. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

What are you going to do about pcv? Just a breather up front ain't gonna cut it for ring seal and oil contamination.....

6. mikeyc182

mikeyc182
    from Boston,Ma

Thats also another issue. To be Honest I'm not very mechanically inclined. Any advice??

7. The search button is your friend.............

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. BobF

BobF
    from Poway, CA

There are stock filler tubes available with a pcv tap in the tube. I don't think it was just CA cars, but I have one on a 283 orig in a CA car. There have been other creative ways to plum the pcv valve, especially if you have a road draft hole out of sight.

9. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I drilled my own.

10. ......................Like chopped51 said, there have been dozens of threads concerning PCVs on here. All you'll ever need to know.

11. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got an early 350 block and it had the provision for either a draft tube or a stamped steel piece that you could attach a PCV valve to. If you check the picture (although it is a little hard to see) right behind the intake manifold and close to the the distributor "hole" is the hole for the draft tube. If you block has that then you can run plain valve covers with the vent in the intake manifold IMG_0047.JPG

12. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

I would be very interested in the block casting and front stamping #s...
    I have been in the machine shop / auto parts biz since 1973..
    Heard of 350 blocks with the draft tube boss...never seen one..

13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Check out the thread titled SBC road draft baffle, I submitted some photos and thoughts on this subject.
    Doug

14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

67 Camaro

15. models916

models916

If the pad is still in the intake casting, you can just drill it out and stick a tube in it.

16. I was going to say that... 67 Camaro oil fill tube with PVC boss. About 45.00 new on line.

17. I was going to say that I know that Edelbrock is making them and I am pretty sure that offy is making them as well.

If it were not for the fact that it is a smog era small block I would mention that I just happen to have an off 2x4 here with an oil fill tube. ;) If you decide to look for an oldy but goody keep your eye out for an L-79 intake. They are single 4 will take a holley or a carter and would work well on your 350.

This one is on a 307 and works like a champ, not too much intake for the mill and can be upgraded with a bigger carb if the time comes to "build" the engine.

[​IMG]

18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

OOPS--See above post.

20. The PVC boss is just a matter of a piece of 3/8 fuel line and a piece of brazing rod. easy to fix without dropping big lumps of cash if you have one already in the intake. ;)

21. pdq67

pdq67

Use the stock rear block PVC cap and run everything like stock to the hole that should be in the bottom plate of your carb. Anyway, Q-Jets are made this way.......

An often overlooked stock intake is the old cast-iron 300hp/327 that mounts an AFB!

GOOD INTAKE!! It is the best of the old intakes up until the Q-Jet came out. Not counting the Z-28 aluminum high rise one... But it is a different animal and I would install a Holley 300-36 in it's place...

pdq67