Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1952 Plymouth 6/12 volt?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tony724, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Tony724

Tony724
    from Pa.

It is a true learning experience. I am just confused still. Although theres not much wiring, so that helps. I just ran and got 5 gallon of gas. i think the tank is empty. Going into the garage now. I am armed with a camera, in case I get it running. :)

I think of horn relay, of having to do with just the Horn! I am not smart to the wiring part of cars.
    I see a Batt/Ign/Start, on these aftermarket switches.
    This being a positive ground system, just confused on which goes to where?

2. Tony724

Tony724
    from Pa.

Okay, here is what I found. Bare with me, I have no idea how this car was running before.

But it really did when my buddy sold it to me. He did NOT do all the stupidity that went on, he bought it that way, and decided to sale it without even messing with it. Due to some family issues. But he moved the car around a few times in his driveway, and it ran.

I did not like the 12V battery in it, hooked up the wrong way, and the 12V coil, and once again, was hooked up wrong.

It was hooked up 12V positive battery. But it ran before. But....Not Now!

I checked the universal ignition switch.

I did buy a 6 volt battery, made it positive ground, all new cables, and hooked the 6V coil up properly, with the help from you guys.

Here's a follows:

Start on the ignition switch goes to the little connector on the solenoid.

Batt on the ignition switch goes to the battery hook up on the Voltage Regulator.

Ignition terminal on the ignition switch is a double wire coming off of the lead, I think its labeled #16 wire, thick gray color.

However, that wire splits off, "double wire", one goes to the fuel gauge, and the other is snipped, and goes nowhere??? What the heck? How did it run before?

It honestly did though!!!

The green wire that was hooked up to the horn relay, "previous owner, aftermarket wire", was hooked to the accessory on the switch? I don't get that one either. I am officially confused. Obviously it won't start for me though. Did this green wire going to the acc on the ignition switch to the horn relay, somehow make it run? I never heard of this before.

Also....side note! I was trying to crank it before I knew about the wiring mess. I touched the cable from the solenoid to the starter, and burned my fingers. The cable and terminal on the solenoid end was extremely hot after cranking it. Unless that is normal? The other side of the solenoid was fine, that goes to the battery.

Here's where the green wire he had hooked to the acc on the ignition switch was hooked up on the horn relay. Bottom left of the relay as pictured.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I found a filter suitable for your car. It is not a Plymouth or Chrysler product, it actually came off a fork lift truck. But it is the correct type for your engine and will fit and work the same. $40 if you are interested.

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

"That thing" looks like a horn relay or headlight relay. Where do the wires go? It could be a starter relay but usually they are bigger.

Wiring - you should get a factory repair manual or wiring diagram and put the wiring back original.

Failing that, here is what you need to get it going.

Battery - + to ground on engine. Or, ground to frame and ground frame to engine. Direct to engine block is best.
    - to starter

Ignition switch - - to power + to ground. Ign to coil Start to starter relay.

Starter relay - some have them and some don't. I think yours does.

If no relay - the starter wire goes from the switch to the starter

Will go back and see if you posted a pic of the starter now.

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Relays all look alike. that might be a starter, horn, or headlight relay depending what it is wired up to.

If it is a starter relay it should connect to the generator A terminal for power (on the voltage regulator) a wire to the starter switch and a wire to the starter.

6. Tony724

Tony724
    from Pa.

Thank you, I will let you know for sure very shortly....

7. Tony724

Tony724
    from Pa.

I was told it is a horn relay. I would have to open up some of the old tape wire harness to trace the wires.
    I do have a starter solenoid on the inner well, right near the battery. The small wire on the starter solenoid goes to the start on the ignition switch.
    The two wires on the voltage regulator arm and fld go to the generator.
    I do have the + battery cable grounded to the top of the block.
    On the ignition switch, I only have one prong that says IGN, and two wires are bundled together, one goes to the fuel gauge. But the other he cut, and it is just hanging there. Thats where I am confused.
    Does that wire go to one of the prongs on the coil?

8. raff23089

raff23089

I scanned a P23 wiring diagram. Hope it helps.
    001.jpg

Get yourself one of these. I found it on ebay relatively cheap
    2.jpg

9. Tony724

Tony724
    from Pa.

Thank you very much!!! I truly appreciate that. I am going to try and look it over and figure this out. Geeez, I hate the wiring part!

10. raff23089

raff23089

No problem. Gotta Keep those under appreciated Mopar's alive.

11. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Do you have the stock ignition switch or after market?

12. Tony724

Tony724
    from Pa.

its an aftermarket one. It was on it when I got the car.

13. Tony724

Tony724
    from Pa.

Okay, I hooked my IGN on the switch to the horn relay, that also goes to the coil.
    I am sure thats right according to the wiring diagram. Then again, I could be wrong.

Still no start!! Ugh!! this car ran before it got towed here, I even have a film clip of it running.

I figured I would check for fuel, the filter is quite clogged, but flowing fuel still. I disconnected the fuel line to carb, and cranked it. The fuel is pumping out slowly. I can barely blow through the filter. I think it may be restricting full pressure.

I pulled the carb, and theres a bunch of gas laying down inside the intake? I don't think thats normal??
    [​IMG]

Here's the fuel that pumped out of the tube. The tank was empty. I had put 5 gallon of fresh fuel in. There is a darker color laying on the bottom of the bottle, and lighter layer on the top of the fuel, never saw that before.
    [​IMG]