Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford 9" question: The physical difference between open and posi.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SoCalExile, Apr 3, 2015.

1. SoCalExile

SoCalExile

Gentlemen, I need some technical expertise. I'm replacing an open differential carrier with a limited slip in my daily driver. I have a junkyard limited slip carrier, and when I stick my hands inside that carrier and turn it where the axles would, it doesn't move, unlike the old open carrier. I'm wondering if something is binding it up. If so, I might have to re-install the open carrier, which sucks.

I'm wondering, will the spider gears interchange between the open and LS carriers? I get the impression that the only difference between the two was the clutch pack and raised cap on the driver's side (when installed) of the carrier, and everything else in the other half of the carrier is the same. If so, I have two more options: 1). pull any broken spider gears or parts out of the open diff and install them in the LS carrier, or use the entire half of the original open carrier with the cap and LS clutch pack...is either of these options a good one or are they doomed to fail?

2. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

You can't move the spiders with your fingers on a "Traction-Loc". If you could it would be completely useless.
    Spiders might interchange but one side gear definately won't.
    It's two pieces that have different functions compared to an open style side gear.
    Remember those clutches? Something has to lock them!
    Anyway...keep in mind that IF you pull the diff for disassembly, you need to keep the bearing caps and adjusters on the correct sides and you also need to set a certain amount of preload into them when reassembling the diff into the housing.
    Just setting the backlash isn't enough.

3. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Oh yeah. IF you pull everything apart to change clutches etc, use an axle shaft to keep the two piece side gear teeth in line.
    If you don't you will have a hell of a time slipping the axle shaft into the housing when its going back together.

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

for some good basics search on YouTube for "Limited Differential-Explained"

5. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Just rebuilt mine. 0323151921.jpg

6. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Ouch! That center bit shouldn't be THAT short! LoL

7. SoCalExile

SoCalExile

Thanks! I was just preparing for the worst when I pull the carrier apart.

I'm following this series of videos and doing part 2 this afternoon:
    A piece of the pinion support broke off yesterday (one side of the the oil passage), so I ordered a Daytona support (already had the bearings), which gives me time to pace myself on this project.

8. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

If you look closely at the gear on the left of the picture I posted you will see one spline is missing (at about 11-20 o'clock) I didn't pay any mind to it since it appears to have been made that way but now that I see it again I'm wondering why. I have a guess at an answer, anyone else?

9. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

No guesses? Looks like 4 splines are missing.

hgdf.jpg

10. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Factory did that..Don't have a clue why..

11. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Well darn, my guess was to let gear lube through to lubricate where the two gears rub against each other. But then I realized they are splined together.

12. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I would say you are still correct.
    With the rear diff spinning, centrifugal force would cause all lube to flow to the outermost part of the diff and get flung off/out whatever. It stands to reason that using oil entryways close to the center would allow this force to keep a constant flow going.

13. All posi carrier for the Ford 9 in that I have seen have the bolts holding the ring gear are counter sunk into the carrier as seen in the SoCalExile video. I have never came across a open carrier this way, the open carrier does not have a machined bolt surface
    SPEEDY

14. Larry T

Larry T

You'll need another pinion yoke or modify your original to run with the Daytona Pinion Support.

15. SoCalExile

SoCalExile

Now I have two rear ends (the one I'm working on and the one currently in the truck), both have different size yokes.
    Like in this pic:
    [​IMG]

The shorter one is for the Daytona, which is on the one currently in the truck with a seemingly non-Daytona pinion. The one I'm working on has the larger yoke, but the hooded Daytona support in the link above, though the pinion bearing is the standard size. It's weird because neither is an N-case which is, from what I understand, what the stock Daytona pinions came in. The one in the truck now is a temporary I pulled from a '70 F100 while I rebuilt the other one, and it has the shorter yoke in the pic, but no hood.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  16. RmK57

RmK57

Not all N-cases had Daytona support. N-case I have came from a later 70's full size Bronco but had the smaller bearing support, but had a 3.50 trac-loc.

17. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

N case was in a lot of F150 . Bearing support on most N case is a machined not cast . The Daytona Yoke normally used 1 1/8 dia . Bearing caps vs 1 1/16 non Daytona . Rebuilding a TraLoc is a bit of a crap shoot . Need special clamps to load the clutches . Lunch Box lockers work just as good a bunch easier to install . Pay close attention to pinion support bearing in the case

18. SoCalExile

SoCalExile

Ah ok.

It's just weird how the pinion I am working on looks like a hooded Daytona, but has the larger yoke and smaller front bearing, and the one in the truck looks to be stock, but with a smaller yoke.

19. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Use what you have that works for you . They are pretty much bullet proof and last millions of miles . I was into the locker and Limited Slip stuff for years . I still have a couple . My 32 has 28 spline big bearing open diff. No issues and don't miss the LS at all . Never get enough traction in the Deuce to break it anyway .