Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features No Consequences

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Apr 1, 2015.

1. haychrishay

haychrishay

I was gonna just say "AMEN!" until I read pinstriper 40' s comment and then I nearly lost it when he said what they were going to do the roadster ! that thing is cool too!

2. fortynut

fortynut

After carefully studying the images of the Deuce Three Window, I am reminded of another one, that was owned by a friend of mine in high school, Jimmy Moore. He is certainly more famous to those of us who were car nuts growing up in Tupelo, Mississippi in the same era, than 'The Pelvis', even if the two made different kinds of music. Jimmy was a 'Ford Man', with blue blood to his dying day; and, his Deuce was driven like he drove later on the round track --- as if there was no tomorrow. It had perhaps a little more zoot than the beautiful example shown, due to Jimmy's inherent talent with Ford engines; and had added goodies that made it growl like a tiger, with three deuces, finned heads, badass cam, Zephyr gears in a later box, headers, Mallory dual point, and so on. And, it was factory black and stock appearing as the day it rolled off the assembly line. That is, until Jimmy climbed in, and then all hell broke loose. But, like all legends, Jimmy met his match at Taledega when his Ford race car airplaned during speed trials and landed on the top. Sad to say he was addled for years and lost much of his genius to the struggle of trying to remember simple things; even though, toward the end of his life he had regained some of his Ford touch and had begun a testing program and was building Ford engines for sprint car legend Hooker Hood. That is, until he mysteriously disappeared. Many months later his remains were found, reminding us of the very tenuous nature of existence, and that even legends can come to bad ends. Just as Hunter S. did. So, when I see great examples of hot rods, I am reminded that they exist because of great people, and are not just flukes that happen in a vacuum. Thank You Ryan for reminding us of the few cars that inspire us to keep our own powder dry, and that they do because of real people who live like legends and often become them.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
    Model T1, Tony Martino and gas & guns like this.
  3. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, I'll say it . . . Amen and Hell Yea! on all counts. Really refreshing to see a fendered hot rod. Love the untouched firewall.

4. DiabloMann

DiabloMann
    from colorado

Like Pinstriper 40 said, Willy is a good dude. The Mc Canns do some awesome work and have great knowledge.
    This is a great story on the Holy Grail of Hot Rods. Another great story would be on Willys '32 5-Window, its also a Don "Coleman Coupe"! I'll let Willy tell ya the story, but it's awesome too!

Countn'Carbs likes this.
  5. chiefharlock

chiefharlock

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

There are a million component bits to "perfection"...an important one, and one that is nearly impossible to fake, is that a real survivor would generally have started its rodding life as a decent but slightly worn used car...and that sort of start adds a lot.

7. Great Read Ryan.... Thank you.

Willy and the McCanns are amazing salt of the earth men.
    Ryan, get your ass to the Hot Rod Hill Climb or the Hot Rod Dirt Drags and hang out! We'd love to have you!
    ...and bring your 38, and the family!

-Mike

Pinstriper40 and Countn'Carbs like this.
  8. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

This is the first time I didn't have to ask for tire and wheel sizes...
    I've wanted a car like this all my life. Could never find one, so I settled for a creek find.

9. Hot Rod Cowboy

Hot Rod Cowboy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I look at that car, I think to myself, "that guy gets it."

Another good read from the boss.

Side note about Hunter S Thompson: my grandmother used to live somewhat near him just outside of Aspen. His house was in the valley bottom, down below the highway. On the roof of his house he painted a giant hand flipping the bird. It was in clear view of anyone driving up valley.

lothiandon1940 and J.Ukrop like this.
  10. seatex

seatex

Oh, the Gods of Rods have shone upon that one! Truly HEAVENLY!
    [​IMG]
    DAMN, just as the blood had begun to flow back to my brain, this comes along
    [​IMG]
    Then it's DOUBLE-CHUBBY! A nicer pair than Bo Derek!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I thought that roadster looked familiar...I knew I seen a photohop of that roadster on here...

on second thought...different top

IMG_7625dupd2up04-21-2009124[1].jpg

12. oldcargary

oldcargary
    from devore, Ca

I like both of them !!!!!

13. catdad49

catdad49

Doesn't look like there's much done to it, but then again, that's the ider!! Great story Ryan

14. gas & guns

gas & guns

Sometimes less is more....

The perfect example.

15. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

Great read, the wheel and tyre combination on this car is perfect.
    One of the best hot rods to grace the HAMB.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. 40ragtopdown

40ragtopdown

Oh yeah hotrods as they should be run the shit out of them and when they break fix em and run em some more.

17. Roadsir

Roadsir

Wow, That's a pretty incredible 32....

18. hot rods like; "freedom is something that dies unless it's used" H.S.T.

19. Damn!!!!!
    That's the definition of Hot Rod!
    Perfect doesn't even come close to the description!
    I want one ssooo bad!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  20. 296ardun

296ardun

Thanks...just thanks, all I can say now...

21. Nobey

Nobey

Thanks Ryan, great read! I'd like to ride in that coupe, just once......

22. Great article. I saw that thing at TROG and it just gets me excited. Effin amazing!

23. Perfect story and perfect car:cool:

24. That is absolutely one perfect 3-window!
    Thanks for the story, Ryan.

25. Wow, amazing car, great story and fantastically written Ryan.
    These are the stories our hobby is about.

26. silverdome

silverdome

Cars like this explain why duece coupes are so popular. Hats off to the builders and the owner plus thanks for the great read Ryan. I hope it shows up at the HAMB drags this year so I can feel it's essence in person.

27. Model T1

Model T1

Thanks for the story, Ryan. That's all I need to write.

28. trucker1

trucker1

Great car. Those McCann guys are second to none. I've met them a couple of times and they are as friendly as they are knowledgeable.

29. Great read Ryan! Thank you. A very PURE hot rod in all its glory! Makes me want to get behind my steering wheel and punish some pavement!!!:cool:

30. Gremlinguy

Gremlinguy