Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Weird blower set ups?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimSibley, Mar 29, 2015.

1. ssaza25

ssaza25
    from arizona

Here is my Magnuson blower set up. Cool blowers. Image 1.jpg

2. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Blows on what? Not a SBF or Flatthead, but what then?

3. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I mean intake ground as exhaust, and exhaust ground as intake. People have called it that in the past on here so I used that term

4. I've always liked crank mounted blowers, this one is awesome.

5. nexxussian

nexxussian

It appears they are driving the blower off the small engine, saves parasitic loss on the main engine.

With no throttle blades on the blower I suspect the driver controls this setup with the throttle on the small engine.

I'm sot sure I understand what I see going on with the fuel system, it looks like there are at least two pumps that could be for fuel.

Whatever they have for an intake appears to have a finned cover, or lid.

Must've been interesting to stand on the power, potentially loads of boost right off the line.

I wonder if they ever got it sorted.

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. stimpy

stimpy

the guys who do land speed, pullers, dragracers and some boat racers ( yes they race detroits on boats ) , on the OEM turbo model of the detroit normally the blower is used to help start it but once it starts and reaches a certain manifold pressure the blower is bypassed and its all turbo as the blower will restrict the airflow , there is a video on you tube showing a small 6 ( 53 series) with twins starting and running , and like I said its hard for them to start as they have to get the exhaust flow to keep it running at first . and the turbos used are 4cyl car units , cannot use a unit larger than the ones they used on the buick t-types or 301 pontiacs unless you can compound the system ( small to get it going , then larger to keep it running .) on one of the one pullers I have seen they actually use a leaf blower to help spool it up to get a quicker start . on the street it is a little slower as you have the turbo lag and it will run rich as there is little scavange effect but once it clears up it goes like gangbusters unless you have the idle turned up .

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

A Danish firm called Burmeister and Wain build ships and engines back in the day.

They made a mill at some point in the 50s and 60s a build around the crank being in a block, of sorts, they ran a crank with for con rods coming of it, then 3 barrels and 3 individual heads, and the last Conrod moved a piston in a scavenger pumpe, like you see them on modern compressors. They had a major stroke and ran on Diesel.
    They only did run about 500-600 RPM at WOT, but had astronomical piston speeds.

Awesome mills, did good for the longest time some still runs to this day, in fishing boats. The was used in a lot of oceanic going boats, and boat the moved stuff to Greenland they at quiet cool.
    I believe they was B&W Alpha Type 403 KKO.

But they are weird to most people.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427819109.024967.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427819132.906134.jpg

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    wraymen likes this.
  8. Not trying to bust your chops, but I've seen lots of people trying to get rid of the blower on a Detroit and it really doesn't make any sense. (after the "silvers" came out with the blower bypass valve) Once the bypass opens you loose the pressure against the blower and it spins free. (or very close to free) BTW, do not think you can start a turbo Detroit without the blower being functional, one of the weak points of the Detroit is the little blower drive shaft, when it breaks you are done until you get it fixed. Or until you get a leaf blower. (A cold day in hell before I would do that) LOL
    BTW, My current build is a 47 Autocar COE powered by a non-silver 6v53T, I'm going to shoot for 350 hp which is about tops for a non-electronic 6v53 on the street

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. stimpy

stimpy

steve you can start a detroit without a blower it will run but real crappy and smoke like a steam engine then die from lack of air if you try to throttle up , the turbo only units they mount them right to the exhaust manifolds to get them to spool right when they hit( fire) once they start spinning they pump enough air to purge it out ( reason why you need the small scrolls ) . the ones they started with the leaf blower was a 12-71 with 4 turbos and they were big ones , no blower in the V so not enough exaust pulse to spin the turbine over fast enough to create a draft , what I laugh is the ones who think the blower is a performance item added to the motor , not a scavanger /pump for the ignition cycle .

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. Krahnic

Krahnic

I want one of these Magnuson Twin blowers! Let me know if it is ever for sale :)

11. While the terminology is not correct @Shaggy is correct to the point that many here call a cam shaft that makes one take a breath through the exhaust and dump through the intakes a reverse ground cam. Sometimes understanding is more correct then the words used to cause it to come to pass. ;)

I don't know if this counts as weird but here is a lathum setup on a flatty. I am only posting it because its eye candy.

[​IMG]

Now this would certainly count as different I found on the web, it is no doubt direct drive like a Potvin style setup but is shaft driven and in front of the rad on this old sports car If you look close I believe it says Marshal Supercharger.

[​IMG]

OK I have been all over the web looking for an old Whipple charger, the problem is that Art Whipple still own the company and still manufactures Whipple Chargers for modern vehicles and pretty much all you can find is the modern version but I did find a Whipple charger on a Vintage Mill that is interesting:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
    Deuces, 270ci, wraymen and 1 other person like this.
  12. LAROKE

LAROKE

This is my Chevy stovebolt 235 setup, currently in the mock up stage.
    [​IMG]

cfmvw, kiwijeff, wraymen and 2 others like this.
  13. Neat setup, one thing that we have rolled around in our heads here is setting one up road warrior style using an AC clutch. Then you could run it on pump gas around town and boost it to the max when you had a load of race gas to dump in it.

Anyway I like the look of an inline motor with the blower hanging off the side. :cool:

14. gasshole

gasshole
    from new jersey

15. 270ci

270ci

I've posted this before and probably qualifies as weird since I'm certain that it is a one and only setup. Here is a Detroit 8V53 blower on a 261 Chevy I built a few years back. I used a modified Larrowe blower intake and machined my own drive parts. The thing ran great, sounded cool and it all fit under the hood of my 54 Chevy.

blown six1.JPG blown six 2.JPG

kiwijeff and wraymen like this.
  16. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I don't know if this is HAMB friendly. So maybe it should be deleted. But it is a blower that you don't often see. An 18-71 GMC type of blower. Top Fuel cars are restricted to a 14-71. So this thing is a big boy. ResizedImage951366081179836.jpg

17. LOL don't stand near the intake, you're liable to loose your hat. ;)

18. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

[​IMG]
    Lincoln V12
    [​IMG]
    Boss 429
    Both cars owner by a local identity down here. Not to everyone's liking though

kiwijeff and patmanta like this.
  19. silent rick

silent rick

blown miller
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
    kiwijeff, wraymen and flatheadpete like this.
  20. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

Here's mine...basic 4-71 mounted on a Mitchell intake for a flathead...not too many of these intakes around. DSCN0531.JPG

21. cfmvw

cfmvw

I remember seeing a picture of a dragster (probably Hot Rod Magazine) years back that had two superchargers, one stacked on top of the other - I thought that was pretty wild!