Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I made another dash panel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alchemy, Mar 30, 2015.

1. alchemy

alchemy

Well, I've finally done it. Completed my second dash panel. After much fun and success with the Pierce Arrow panels I reproduced a few years ago, I figured I'd make another cool panel that I've always wanted but could never afford.

This one is styled after a 1938 Chris Craft boat panel. I couldn't get my hands on an original to steal measurements from, so I just made it fit a 1932 Ford dash like I did last time. This new panel has the curves of a '32 dash on the top and bottom, and a small notch to file out so it fits over the bead at the bottom edge.

But this panel is flat, so it will fit any custom made flat dashboard, and I won't finish the notch in case somebody wants to use it in a non-'32 application. Hope you all enjoy the pics and it gives you guys ideas for your own builds.

CC dash with winged SW.jpg
    CC dash side.jpg
    CC dash back.jpg
    CC dash back corner.jpg
    1938-custom-runabout-chris-craft.jpg

Stogy, clem, Tim and 25 others like this.
  2. You just keep blowing my socks off with your amazing talent & creativity...absolutely beautiful! HRP

clem, fiftyv8 and volvobrynk like this.
  3. Gorgeous! Makes me re-think my common "Champion" insert every time I see your stuff.

4. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

Absolutely beautiful!! I want those gauges!!!

5. fryguy

fryguy

Very Nice Jeff. This is another master piece. I would be interested if you are going to publish the price. Is this a one off or are you going to make a few copies?

6. Beautiful! Did you cast it yourself???

7. Very nice, very very nice. How many of these do you plan to produce?

8. alchemy

alchemy

I don't do the casting myself, I just make the patterns, and do the polishing afterwards. I'll make as many of these panels as you guys want. Not a limited edition this time. I've got a couple ready to go with a plain insert.

CC dash front.jpg

9. Beautiful work Sir!

10. Top shelf work, as always!

11. 117harv

117harv

12. Very nice! I like that you can use different insert panels.

13. deto

deto

14. That looks amazing!! how did you make the contour raised edges! Awesome Work ! Jim

15. brady1929

brady1929

16. Beautiful work. I love how you cast in the location for the notches at the bottom of the dash but not all the way through so you can use it on a flat dash also'
    For those who don't know your work, here's the Auburn style one ( with a twist ) you did for Maxgearhead that we made the backround and set the gauges in for his 34 P.U. Hope you don't mind Jim Jims dash 005.jpg Jims dash panel (3).jpg Jims dash panel.jpg

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    Stogy, clem, Tim and 10 others like this.
  17. Paul

Paul
    Editor

it's Pierce Arrow, not Auburn

Stogy likes this.
  18. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Very nice work!

19. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

;)Nice. The gauges look good too. You just need to build the cars to put them in.

20. can the panel be placed on the 32 dash flat instead of offset and grooved for the lower bead?

FYI Original dimensions: [​IMG]

found these on ebay:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2024
    barrnone50 likes this.
  21. ardun1932

ardun1932
    from Iowa

Wasn't that '32 dash panel stored in a '66 Nova? It sure looks familiar.

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great looking dash, I'm real happy with my Pierce Arrow #24, you really trun out nice stuff. I like your use of S hooks to hold the panel in place. Bob

23. Wow! Totally cool.

24. uncle buck

uncle buck

25. FORDY 6

FORDY 6

Top Notch, Jeff!!!

26. banjorear

banjorear

Wow, great work. Awesome!

27. alchemy

alchemy

No, not enough room. I went around with this in the design phase a bit, but wanted to make sure there was room for the tach and speedo, and four small gauges. If it was narrower the panel would have to be too long to fit all six gauges, and would lose the original proportions. I'm thinking about making another version of this panel that is narrow enough to fit on the inside of a '32 dash, but there will only be room for five gauges. Shouldn't be more than a year or two til I get that done. :eek:

Stogy and bct like this.

28. G'day alchemy. man that is an amazing piece of work mate. I truly appreciate the skill, time and pleasure that has gone into that. Congrats

Stogy likes this.
  29. You're right, I remember when Jim gave it to me he said Pierce Arrow. My mistake. Pretty cool though.

Stogy and RiffRaffRoadster like this.