Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford-o-matic trouble.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fleetliner, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Fleetliner

Fleetliner
    from Oregon

I have a 63 Mercury Comet with a two speed merc-o-matic transmission that flares up at the shift point. I adjusted the gas pedal height as per manual and then ran the trans. throttle linkage through the full possible range of adjustment and still same issue. If I drive normal (green means go) it will flare up at shift. If I ease into the gas until after the shift it won't flare. When it flares up and I let off the gas and then accelerate after the shift it goes fine. The clutches don't seem to be slipping at all. Once it is in high gear and I get on it I have great acceleration. Any one have an idea what to try next? Thanks for any help.

2. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

The problem is you're still using this transmission. This is easily resolved by removing said transmission, casting it into a large body of water, and simply reinstalling a transmission that doesn't suck.

In all seriousness, I've seen so many issues with these transmissions I don't even bother with them. We had a 63 Fairlane that in the cold wouldn't shift for 40 mins of driving (no exaggeration). Others did what yours is doing. We never bothered fixing them, we just put C4s in their place. It's actually cheaper than a rebuild.

3. Fleetliner

Fleetliner
    from Oregon

Problem is I am running a 260 c.i.d. v-8 and the bolt pattern I believe is different than the c-4.

4. RmK57

RmK57

It could be the governor stuck or sticking. Take it out, clean it up and test drive.

5. Have you tried fresh fluid and a new filter? Maybe some trans flush?

And the C4 pattern isn't 'different', the removable bellhousing pattern is. You have a five-bolt engine block (62-64), most C4's were built for the later six-bolt block ('65-up). If you can find one, a '64 C4 bell will allow you to use a later C4 behind your 260.

need louvers ? likes this.
  6. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I second, third, fourth and approve of this message! Oh, and the other tinier ripples? Those are the signature of the Load-O-Crapic six cylinder distributors hitting the same body of water.

Oh, and back to the trans, look around a bit and see if anybody makes an adaptor for a nice overdrive automatic so you can travel reasonable, modern, freeway speeds. It's a revelation when all is said and done.

7. 32 4door

32 4door

I have the same issue mine is in a 59 edsel , I have just learnt to ease on the gas pedal an wait until it shifts an pedal on thru mine has not got any worse or done any thing out of normal shift procedure so il keep driving it until it stops, a few guys I have asked said they were always known for a slight flare between shifts

8. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

If you didn't live across the nation, I'd offer you my '63 Ford-O as a replacement for free. I can't seem to get anybody to take it otherwise.

32 4door likes this.
  9. LWEL9226

LWEL9226
    from So. Oregon

I have C-4 trans and bell housing you need...
    Where in Oregon are you????

Lynn W

10. Fleetliner

Fleetliner
    from Oregon

I am in Medford.

11. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I'm primarily a Chevrolet guy, married to a Ford loving woman (???). One of the cars I bought for her, trying to get her to abandon a 65 Mustang that was a total POS, and nickle-n-diming me to death, was a 63 Ford Falcon Ranchero with a 260 and 2 speed automatic. I thought the 2 speed auto was just a good as a Powerglide. It was a responsive little car, and the trans shifted well. I actually wound up installing the rear end, suspension, brakes, wheels and tires into her Mustang, sold the engine/trans and interior to a Falcon/Comet restorer group, and hulked out the body (the body and underneath was nothing but poorly repaired rust damage). To me, it sounds like hardened seals in your trans; throw in a can of Trans-Medic, or something similar, to soften the seals, and then adjust the bands. Can't hurt, might help. but if it does't, it's rebuild time. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

12. LWEL9226

LWEL9226
    from So. Oregon

I am in Eagle Point, PM me with a phone no. if you are interested in trans.....

Lynn W

13. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Don't recall if the throttle valve is manually or vacuum controlled on your transmission. If it has vacuum modulator, I would replace that first. If it does not, then the linkage coming from the carb might be out of adjustment.