Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods My new '51 Hudson Super 6

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Racer29, Mar 21, 2015.

1. I've had it since September but just now getting around to posting. I sold my '51 Pacemaker and bought this one. I'm the third physical owner but second titled owner. I have the original bill of sale and new car purchase order. A '36 Studebaker was traded in for the Hudson. It set out in the Colorado sun for 30+ years which explains the patina but I like it. It is a low mileage car and you can tell it when you drive it. Everything down to the radio works perfect. Has aftermarket smoothie wheels with baby moons. 38,136 original miles when I bought it. About to turn 40,000 now. Sold new in Denver, been a Colorado car all it's life. 262 flat 6 with 2bbl carb, 3spd trans w/od. Ashtray in every door.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  2. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

3. Ramblur

Ramblur

Dig it! I hope to make it out to the Springs this summer for the Nats with my 49. Our kids live there.

4. captmullette

captmullette

damn nice car, love the hudsons, very fast and well built bowling green 2014 064.jpg ....my buddies Hudson he bought in Colorado in '68 and drove home to ga., now a 10 sec car...

5. I just live a couple miles from the hotel where the nationals are happening.

6. Hud I

Hud I
    from Tennessee

Looks like a good driver to me. I love seeing Hudson's on the road. Enjoy the fine car.

LHud

7. Congrats, that's a fine Hudson product.

8. triman62

triman62

Congrats, on that low mile find!

9. Where are you in Tennessee? I was born and raised in East TN.

10. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Step down..he'll,,,you stepped up.....best wishes

11. Nice looking ride.Glad it goes down the road so well for you.Bruce.

12. I'd just say it was "roasted to perfection". :cool: The chrome appears to be in surprisingly good shape. Looks like a rock-solid driver from this angle! ;)

13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

14. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Cool ride! Although I don't own one ($$shortage) I like the Hudson's have a brother with a 49 drop Top and his son has a 52 and a 47.

15. Hud I

Hud I
    from Tennessee

Racer29
    I am in middle TN. About 75 miles NE of Nashville on the Highland Rim.

16. Got the radiator boiled out and flushed out all the 30+ year old antifreeze out of the block. ALOT of junk in the block. I'm surprised it never overheated. I feel alot better now at least knowing it's all clean. I was afraid the radiator would be toast after boiling it out but checked out good with only one small leak that was repaired. On my previous '51, the radiator turned into a lawn sprinkler after boiling it out. It was in a lot worse shape.
    The Super 6 is almost ready for all the miles it's gonna get this spring and summer. Just waiting on spark plugs to come in and it'll get new plugs/wires.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  17. 51hornetdude

51hornetdude
    from denver

I WANT MY CAR BACK! Just kidding. I can't think of a better caretaker of the '51. I am thrilled it is getting the care and road time it deserves. It is probably the best driving Hudson I've owned.

18. Added picture with new wide whites. Just put 2 new waterpumps on. First one leaked out of the box but I think the second one is gonna work. Trying to get it ready to go to the Hotrod Dirt Drags in Monte Vista, CO next month. 360 mile round trip so I want to be sure it's as ready as can be. Been a while since it's seen this many miles at once.

19. So much for pump #2. It leaked after running it for two weeks. Waiting on #3 to come in.

20. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Damn nice Hudson. I'd drive it !
    Bummer about the water pumps though :(

21. Guess what? Pump #3 leaked on startup. Waiting on #4.
    Anyhow we ended up driving the '47 to the Dirt Drags. It ran better than ever. The vacuum advance hadn't been working. Got that all lined out and the car got almost 17 mpg at one point in the trip. Averaged 15 mpg. Used to get 9-10 mpg. Can't complain one bit for an FE Ford 390 getting that mileage in a big ol Hudson.

22. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

I can not confirm this but I was told that sometimes a new pump will seep, leak, drip, until it has run through a few temperature cycles to get the seals to set. Again I have no experience with that personally maybe something to ask the rebuilder?

23. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

By the way, that's GREAT mileage out of an FE engine if you ask me!

24. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Both of your Hudson's are cool looking cars. Great meeting you at the Hotrod Dirt Drags.

25. I thought that's what had happened with the second pump. It leaked when I first installed it and then after it got warm it quit and didn't leak a drop for two weeks then it started leaking again and wouldn't stop. The fellow that I am buying them from is getting ahold of the rebuilder to see what's going on.
    As far as the FE goes in the 47, I am quite pleased with how it is running. It has had its fair share of problems but I think I finally worked them out. We put 400 miles on it this past weekend and had a great time cruising in that old car.

QUOTE="oldsjoe, post: 11035030, member: 149881"
    ]I can not confirm this but I was told that sometimes a new pump will seep, leak, drip, until it has run through a few temperature cycles to get the seals to set. Again I have no experience with that personally maybe something to ask the rebuilder?[/QUOTE]

26. Likewise it was a pleasure meeting you. I meant to get back and talk to you again and tell you how mean that little flathead sounds in your roadster.

27. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Thanks. It runs pretty good, but much better at 900ft vs 8000ft. It's hard to believe I've had this little T together for 12 yrs already.
    See you at the Hill Climb with the 51?

28. Yeah the elevation out here is definitely a killer on power.
    Will see you for sure at the hill climb.

29. Pump #4 came in yesterday. We'll see what happens.

30. Pump #4 is good!