Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Why not grind off the top of the T-bar on a shoebox Ford?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Rathbone, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Rathbone

Rathbone

I just bought a 1949 Ford Coupe that I plan to make into a mild custom. Ford built the cars with a T shaped bar between the top of the quarter panels and the back of the car. It's a pretty common modification to remove these so you have a smoother looking body. I believe this was called 'Peaking' the quarters.

I've searched for threads showing this being done, but haven't found much. Could it be as easy as using an angle grinder and grinding off the top of the T bar, then fill the gaps?

2. Squablow

Squablow

Are you talking about the fender welting? You have to cut it off and weld up the seam. If you just fill it in, it'll crack out when the car flexes. That's why Ford put it there in the first place.

3. Rathbone

Rathbone

You can see it in this photo. I'm referring to the divider along the quarter. It's steel, so I wouldn't call it fender welding.
    Capture.JPG

4. Rathbone

Rathbone

This is Yaril's car part way through this process. I guess he removed his with a sharp wood chisel.
    Capture.JPG

Eric H likes this.

5. Rathbone

Rathbone

And this is Chris Casny's car after the deed was done.
    Capture.JPG

6. Here's mine mid construction. I just used a 36 grit disc on a 8" grinder. Cleaned the grove with with a wire wheel and welded it up. Nothing to it.
    The Wizzard Msc shop photos 005.jpg Msc shop photos 005.jpg Msc shop photos 006.jpg

Rathbone likes this.
  7. I do NOT know why I keep posting double photos. What's up with that?

8. Rathbone

Rathbone

Great! I thought removing it with a chisel sounded tough.

9. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Some of the Victorias had stainless trim for that seam. Not to hijack the thread, but I got a buddy who's been looking for that trim for years. If anybody know of any, please PM me.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. The tary crap pinched in between the welds has to be cleaned out as much as possible or it will play hell with your welds.

beyond static and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I did it to my shoebox. Pics are early on in my build thread below. Easy-beasey.

Rathbone likes this.
  12. Rathbone

Rathbone

How do you recommend getting the tar out?

13. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I heated it up with a propane torch & a wire brush , then cleaned it up with Prep-solve . Then I welded it up .

14. manyolcars

manyolcars

Snyders and others sell it. Its called T strip

15. Yes, just a little heat. I actually heated the flange on the underside of the body, very little I might add. My brother ran the air hose and hand wire brush on top and would let me know when he would start seeing color, You don't want that and he'd cool it with air, not water. I welded mine with my Tig to keep fill as little as possible. I ended up with almost a file finish.
    The Wizzard

16. pointer-1

pointer-1

Did this to mine as well. Cut off seam with a wood chisel heated with propane torch till I got welting and as much other junk out with wire wheel a little prep sanding then welded it all up. It took some time but looks ok to me. A lot better than the standing seam.

17. verde742

verde742

Let's hear more bout that stainless steel trim , ( from the factory? )

Was it a Canadian Ford? teach me..

18. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

I've owned more than one '51 Victoria and they never came with that piece in stainless.
    Not even the CDN Meteor.

19. verde742

verde742

I have had two,,, Have never even SEEN one with stainless,,,

Still want to hear the rest of the story,,
    Ford books, I own , none mention it.
    46-48 Plymouth, yep they had it, Fords? Not so......... much....?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  20. dlandberg

dlandberg
    from Sweden

I have grinded that seem of on many shoeboxes and just filled with bondo never had a crack. A buddy has a shoebox that he had have for 10 years now with the same paintjob and bondo under not a crack and he really uses hos car! I can understand if some dont want bondo on the car then it is just to weld up and grind smoth.