Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Has Stockton wheel improved their service?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aribert, Jul 18, 2014.

1. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

Well, 10 years ago I called them for a set of chrome wheels for a model a shay. Three days later they were sitting on my porch in Amarillo. These were special 4 lug wheels and the old man I talked to knew exactly what he was doing. Since then I suspect they have changed ownership. I suppose all good things change and have wondered why Stockton Wheel doesn't come up on this site.

2. This is a good point. The state of the hobby today, and the strength of the H.A.M.B. (even back in 2000, when I had a major problem with a supplier) today, it would behoove a company to have a presence on this site. The HAMB is known far and wide now; it's influence quite palpable, even to the point of being mentioned in nearly every magazine. Therefore, would we as a group think it a bit suspicious that a company allied to the Hot Rod scene not have a presence here?? As I, too, had a bad experience with Stockton (year 2000), I now believe that they exist more to scam than to actually produce. And that they would ignore this site, esp. threads like this, just furthers my impression.

Cosmo

3. To non Hambers, the people on this forum sometimes have somewhat a reputation of being biased and pomp-ass. I'm putting that a lot nicer than its been explained to me ;)

GreenMonster48 likes this.
  4. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

"Biased"?? I'll plead guilty as charged, but leave my ass out of it, by God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

prewarcars4me likes this.
  5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Check with http://PROFORMANCEINDUSTRIES.COM/ on those rims and what you want done. They repair and work on high end aluminum wheels for the exotic car brigade. I've followed them on FB for the past year or two and they can do some pretty serious stuff.

Rob keep us posted on how it comes out with Stockton wheels and your order. One of my buddies has ordered a lot of real wide bare rims from them in the past and had a local shop weld the centers in tohas his specs but I don't think he has done any business with them in the past several years.

6. You should have been here in the 90's. You think what happens now is harsh?? You have no idea...

Cosmo (who WAS here in the 90's)

glendale likes this.
  7. You kinda missed the point ;)

8. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

It will be interesting to watch Stockton's performance. The HAMB does have a presence just like NSRA and Good Guys. Only a fool wouldn't use these assets.:):):):):):)

9. so a small update, still waiting for the one damage center section of my rim to come back, Rick has always answered my emails...I've got tires sitting for my rims... so it's been just over a week on rechrome and waiting for the last rims to be put together.. I will email him come Monday to see were we are at on my forth rim...will post some more updates soon

10. so it's now been over a week since the last post... What was to take a week to fix the damaged chrome and weld the wheel together is now two weeks, and still not finished... My emails did not get answered Thursday or Friday to find out what was going on(maybe Rick was away maybe)... I was offered to ship the three done wheel ( three doesn't help).. Getting some excuses now. They had three finished pretty fast, and this forth who knows, so some customer service set backs as of right now.. Promises of trying to ship by the end of the week (3/13 nothing shipped) my ordered placed 1/23/2015... will see if I get a reply come Monday...

11. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Sounds sorta like SOS (same old shit).

12. just posting some updates, things were going pretty well... great emails back forth... pictures on the finished three wheels, and the damaged one... The sales guy knows that this is being relayed to guys here on the HAMB... Will see what Monday has in store regarding my one rim....

13. 2 months to not do what it is that you do.

Colour me unimpressed.

Full disclosure: Stockton f*&^d me back in 2000...

Cosmo

14. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

I'll be watching this tread. Stockton Wheel gave me a quote a few months back for wheels for my F100.
    I've heard some bad stories about all the wheel builders here in Calif. I can drive to Paulson's and to Stockton.

15. brut4s

brut4s

16. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

17. so I heard back from Rick @ Stockton Wheel (was out of the office on Friday) . He had good news that the one one wheel that I was waiting for is back and done( should ship all four today or Tuesday) So the quoted time was pretty close to what I was expecting ( other than the delay on the damaged rim) .. so I have asked for tracking # when shipped.. When the wheels get here I'll inspect there quality and let everyone know.. from the pictures they looks great.. but we all know all to well with pictures ...

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  18. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks for update

19. small update, all is not well with the forth wheel and I was told... I received a email & call from Rick at Stockton Wheel that the folks they use for chrome are having some quality issues and the forth wheel is not up to their standards... so three wheels done pretty fast, the forth wheel is now becoming the great white whale... So I've been told to expect a email from him on Wednesday...so my experience on customer service (with this last wheel being a factor) ... had the same "chrome issues" with set of chromes I ordered from a other supplier a few years back... Let's see were this goes from here...

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  20. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

So is"all" the chrome work being done in Mexico these days or what.

21. Stockton wheel IS in fact open.my good friend and fellow hotrodder works there.he has worked there for longer than I've been alive.the owner did die a few years back.it closed for a brief time.the wheels on the back of my car in the avatar are actually widened by Stockton wheel with original centers

An Asian family whom I also know bought the company.its no longer associated with late ship out orders like Before.I can tell you my friend that works there is VERY skilled and wheels. I have 2 sets made by him and I have only good things to say about them.

There is also pete Paulson in town (close to it) but he doesn't do as much custom stuff.mostly a vintique reseller but does make wheels also.

22. Their chrome is done in l.a if I remember right.not mexico. Wheels have to be cut apart to be chromed then welded back together

23. not bashing Stockton Wheel, Rick there has been really good about contacting me with whats going on.. Just letting who wanted to know how things with my order is going... we've hit a bump in road, and looks like something with center section and the chroming... I'll let you all know... this is the reply from this morning..

"just spoke to the chrome guy this morning..he going to strip it and call me back to see when its going to be done..will keep you posted as soon as i here anything..rick"

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

sometimes things just get harder before they get better (hopefully). I am working on a OT '67 and arranged with a place that I have done business with before out of Lynwood, CA to chrome both bumpers and straighten/refinish the very rare tail light bezels. had the bumpers back very quickly. have been waiting for tail light bezels almost 2 months now. call/text with just excuses for delay. already paid for the work so, I am stuck just waiting and hoping.

25. it's now just a waiting game LOL ! I'll keep you all posted. waa waa waa !

26. Well my wheels finally shipped today from Stockton Wheel.... the forth rim they were having issues with the outfit they use to do chrome.. Rick the sales guy I have to give him a thumbs up, he looked after my order and always gave me a update...my emails always were answered and questions answered. I truly believe that they were issues with the chroming folks... With all the delays on getting the forth rim back and fixed... Stockton didn't charge me for the shipping on my rims( nice customer service there)... I would use them again...somethings are out of your control and this was the case on chroming... They noticed the center of the forth was nicked..sent it back to get fixed and the chrome held them up... :confused:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  27. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Make sure you get back to us when you receive them.

28. will do ! tracking shows I should have them Wednesday 3/25/2015... dropped shipped to my work

29. ok so I got the wheels yesterday... lets just say lesson learned... not going to bash them.. they did not live up to my standards and I was given an adjustment on the price of each wheel .. Rick the sales person I placed my order with was very sorry about all that had happened...Disappointed with the "Milners" you bet.. But hey, I saw the red flags .. and I was willing to give them a chance on my business... would I use them again most likely not..

30. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker