Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Anybody know how to disassemble shoebox rear quarter push out windows?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by '49 Ford Coupe, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Hey guys.. It seems the stock coupe push out window frames are spot welded or somehow firmly fit into the inside window frames, but I could be wrong. I have not started hammering on them to get them apart. Here is the real question.... Since I'm going for fixed glass rather than push out, are the interior frames the same? If I can get these push out assemblies off the inside frame, can that same frame be used to install the fixed glass? Thanks in advance...

Kiwi 4d likes this.
  2. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I just reassembled my pop out glass , so I know how to do it , but can't explain right this minute. Curious though ... Why would you not keep them ??

3. Better check with Chris at Shoe Box Central here in OKC. He helps with our 49 - parts and tech support.

4. old round fart

old round fart
    from Norman Ok.

Chris @shoebox central swapped my push-out frames and garnish molding for the non-push-out moldings. Give him a call.

5. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Sorry for the delay - I was surfing the HAMB during intermission at a local school play (I'm trying to embrace my new-found technology - smartphone , lol)

When I read the post I was thinking you wanted to remove & disassemble the pop out assemblies . Now that I had a couple minutes to re-read it , it sounds like you want to remove the seal channels that are left after you removed the glass/chrome pieces and the seals ?? If you need to know how to disassemble them , I can certainly give the methods needed . If you want to remove the seal channels , I'd say just swap them out for a set of fixed glass garnish mouldings . They are certainly different , and someone with fixed glass may want to do a swap with you . You could help each other out .

I am still curious why you wouldn't want the pop outs . They certainly swing out plenty far to help to get airflow through the car , and that's a definate plus !

6. Well, here is the thing........"possible water leaks", "possible air leaks -wheezing from the back seat", I got AIR CONDITIONING !

7. Cool.. I will call him... thanks

8. Hey, Allen.. LOVED your vids of first drive... I have a couple myself, on my website... But as I mentioned in a previous response, but to add a little...I'm it Texas, and it gets hottern' hell down here, so my shoebox has air conditioning...with that......who needs back windows that open???!?!?! ahaha

9. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Ahhh , I get it now - with Texas heat in the summer , and A/C in the rig to help cool it , I surely can't blame ya for not bothering to keep the pop out windows , LOL ! No air conditioning in MY ride , so the pop out glass is a godsend ! I've driven old non-A/C coupes before without roll down / pop out rear glass and all it gets ya is wind buffeting up front & stagnant air in the back , and that sucks . If I had a business coupe , I'd trade with ya . I'm sure Chris can halp ya out - he's a good egg .

BTW - Thanks for the props - I'm heading to your website to check out your vids now :) !

10. I would be more then happy to trade you fixed window stuff for the pop out stuff.shoot me a pm

11. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

... and a connection is made - AWESOME ! I figured someone would want to trade .

12. DEAL !!!!!! PM on the way........

13. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

The last set of quarter window seals I got out of Carpenter did not have the lip that the originals did to seal over the pinch weld Stainless trim...I called and they said they never seen the lip; so you will have to use some rtv adhesive/sealant to keep water out as I doubt the garnish molding will hold the glass tight enough..

14. Oh....well... that sounds just GREAT !... Grrrrrrrr

15. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i had a business coupe (fixed rear windows) and a club coupe (swing out) and i'll take the latter any time