Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 324 Oldsmobile rebuild

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Martin_F, Mar 17, 2012.

1. That engine sounds great Martin! Glad to see it running wit the new fuel pump.

I saw a pro built engine test stand this past weekend. Fully adjustable with gauges and throttle control, $2500. Pricey, but gave me some ideas.

2. blondie66

blondie66

I have a '56 olds 98 with that same 324. Have a few issues with it.. but sure is nice to see all the work you've done payed off. Mine runs.. but needs some tweeting.. I'm brand new, so I am slowly learning.. nice job!!

3. Thanks blondie!
    Let me know if there is anything I might be able to help you with.
    Either way, you'll find a lot of nice people and great knowledge on here!
    Welcome

4. HunterSpeed

HunterSpeed
    from Austin, TX

Great thread Fuxl. Congratulations, the rebuild turned out great. Lots of good information here so thanks for taking the time to document your progress along the way. Just starting a rebuild of my 303 and this provided some needed inspiration!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Took half the morning to read all the way thru this thread, but it was like a good book...couldn't put it down! Love these build threads, thanks for posting it! Looks great and sounds great too. One question, when you painted it, what kind of paint did you use? Did you just go in and ask the local paint shop for choices on high temp paint?

Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  6. Sorry for the late reply.

Thanks for the nice words.

Lets see some pics!

I just went into the local automotive paint store, and got regular paint that you'd use for your car too.
    Etch primer, base coat and clear. That's it.
    We'll see how long it lasts. It's already got some burn marks around the exhaust ports, but that's normal, I guess.

7. landlubber

landlubber
    from Virginia

As I recall, the back of the 55 crank would need a relief cut for the jetaway torus. Sludge was caused by a cheapskate previous owner. I got a 51 Olds in same condition. Clean up and polish that Edmunds intake, it works nice. I'm using one on a 338" Olds w/later model 2GC carbs, for which I have a spare pair of adaptors. Also, you can get yourself a later 57-64 Distributor, just swap gear and use external adj. points. Chevy hydraulic lifters fit, and some guy makes an oil filter conversion using later spin filters. Deepen the oil return grooves and polish them on the heads, too much oil stays up top. Also might want to shim the pump spring (incr. pressure) to get more oil up to rockers as that's a weak spot in Olds oiling. Let me know if you want to sell the 55 hydro & flywheel.

8. Bubbashead

Bubbashead

Wow! What a great thread. Thank you for taking the time to document it all. I love these old Oldsmobile engines. I am rebuilding a '56 Olds engine. The car set in my bone yard for about a dozen years. I advertised it on CL for $650 ( whole car) and got no interest. So I decided to keep it and do a '31 model A. After seeing your engine,s condition when you first opened it up I realized how lucky I am. My engine came out of a 4 door hdtp with a 2bbl carburator. Before I pulled it I put in a battery and a little fresh gas and it started right up! When I took it apart it was clean, with no sludge at all. I suspect it had an amateur rebuild in the relatively recent past. There was a ton of silicon stuff everywhere. The bore was standard with about .002 taper. The crank is .010 undersize. I have a Wieand 2 four intake for it. Unless someone a can tell me why not I will keep the Jetaway trans since it looks to be in good shape.
    Thanks again for all the effort to document your build. I really enjoyed it.
    Lanny

9. Thanks for the kind words, Lanny!

I also got a '56 Olds, and I plan on keeping the Jetaway. It's just a nice cruiser, so I don't think I'll ever hurt it. I do plan on getting it rebuilt though.

Dual quad Weiand sounds like fun ;)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  10. RAT "T"

RAT "T"

11. CGkidd

CGkidd

12. Johnnyolds98

Johnnyolds98

Looks real good!
    Here's mine.[​IMG]

13. CGkidd

CGkidd

Here is my 56 rocket engine. Sitting in my frame for my 50 stude. NCM_0039 (2).jpg hot rod engine.jpg

550Coupe and jakespeed63 like this.
  14. Well, it's been some time now...
    Unfortunately we had a couple hick-ups along the way, so part of this rebuild had to be redone.
    I won't bore you with the details!

Anyways, I got the engine back in the car now and just need to sort out a few minor things. Hopefully.
    Big thanks again to my buddy Tony @GOATROPER02 for the continued support.

Now it's time to put some miles on this thing again!!!

Here are some pics of the re-install:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Arkas

Arkas
    from Germany

Damn Martin, great thread and what a bitchin' engine. All blackened Olds with a golden heart. Awesome work you did there.

16. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

Looks right at home in there...........

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  17. seatex

seatex

Damn! I don't know how I missed this one! I just picked up a 330 with the forged steel crank this weekend from brother HAMBer ChopRod inc. what an inspiration! 'scribed!

18. von Dyck

von Dyck

Those Ketterings look right at home in anything you put 'em in, Tony!
    BTW, I like your Coupe.

19. Olds Dad

Olds Dad

my pants are tight...

20. very nice project Martin! Now go drive that bad boy.

21. Paul

Paul
    Editor

22. Heath.H

Heath.H

I also got my engine stand finished welding.
    [​IMG]
    The plan is to use it for cam break in. It'll have gauges, radiator, battery and all the other stuff mounted to it.[/QUOTE]

Martin,
    Would you mind sharing the dimensions of the engine stand? Looks like it worked great!!

Last edited: May 24, 2015
    jakespeed63 likes this.
  23. @Heath.H Thanks for the interest! I'm out of town right now, but I'll get you some dimensions when I'm back home...

24. klilek

klilek

Great info, thanks everyone