Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Car horn regulation

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1959apache, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Wouldnt you want to have a set of horns on this if you were rolling thru a 005.JPG intersection with this beast? lol.Bruce.

2. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not necessarily, at least you woke the a-hole up. Much better to get the bird than getting smacked.

3. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Almost all states require any safety equipment that originally had been on a car when it was manufactured, be on the car now to be registered. Horns were supplied on cars at least as far back as the Model A Ford (1928), seat belts (for example) were not, so you'd need a horn to get it registered for use now, but you wouldn't need seat belts.

Intelligence would, in any case, dictate that a lack of safety equipment to satisfy 'tradition', is kinda stupid., if the car is used in modern traffic, IMO.

4. If you don't have a horn how do you expect to wake up the pimple faced kid texting in front of you at the stop light? :D HRP

5. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Gimpys, So if I am reading this topic correctly, California, the state that has the most motor vehicles and has some of the strictest laws such as C.A.R.B. and smog testing, has zero automobile inspections? Does this mean you can drive around CA, with any junker held together with duct tape, bailing wire and no horn? Am I missing something?

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup.

Only smog check if it was made after 1975.

Now, if an ambitious LEO sees you, and pulls you over, that is a different story. Those are rare.

That instance, and a CHP VIN inspection on a car that is out of the DMV records are about the only two instances when a vehicle might be inspected. Even then, neither is a guarantee.

I have been pulled over in my crazy rock crawling rig, just once, in 13-years, and just to get a lecture about mud flaps.

For all of the trash folks talk about California, it really is hot rod paradise.

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

(Oh, and did I mention that it is 65º and sunny, right now?)

jeffd1988 likes this.
  8. 1959apache

1959apache

So as I stood in line for over 8 hours I watched two classic cars get scrutinized, one for windshield wipers not functioning (its southern California... we don't get rain anyway) and the other for a horn that didn't function. The kid basically wouldn't sign whatever the paperwork was because the vehicles didn't completely function. Maybe this was for changing the title from an inop to a functioning vehicle, I don't know, but the kid was being a complete dick about it (as in only making the classic cars do this function).

I get in line (5 cars behind the leader AND at the end) for my VIN check and here comes the nose picker.... and another dude snagged my paperwork in time that was watching that kid approach. The guy took about 10 seconds, signed it, and said "alright, have fun!"

That's all she wrote...

I asked about the inspection and they confirmed that they do not do an inspection in California as Gimpy stated. Unless something really stares them in the face; if it looks unsafe, then they have the CHP come and do some kind of inspection as stated above as well. They don't have the manpower to inspect every vehicle, so they don't do it at all

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  9. 1959apache

1959apache

Thanks! It is finally back in California where it originated. I will have to look for something cool for it. I heard the repop horns aren't quite right. So I may look for someone that will just rebuild it.

10. mikegt4

mikegt4
    from SW Ohio

The absence of a horn button on the center of the steering wheel doesn't mean that there is no horn. I have had several British cars that were factory equipped with the horn button on the dash, the turn signal switch as well. Personally I couldn't see having a car, hot rod or otherwise, that didn't have a horn especially these days with all the people texting while driving.