Register now to get rid of these ads!

Will a 53-54 Chevy column and steering gear bolt into a 50 Chevy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RATRODCHEVY, Aug 21, 2013.

1. RATRODCHEVY

RATRODCHEVY

The steering gear in my 50 is tired. I was thinking of rebuilding it, but someone told me the later 53-54 boxes are better (ball bearings and recirculating ball v. worm and sector) Has anyone done his swap? Any info would be appreciated. I'm not looking to replace the front clip, or MII. I want to keep the stock suspension and steering. Thanks

2. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

I put a 1954 chevy steering box in my 1950 chevy, it bolts up.

3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Grab the brakes & rear axle, too. Everything under a '54 is an improvement & it all bolts in.

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I expect the '54 will fit the'50...... Ball bearings vs bushing I can believe..........but I seriously question that "recirculating ball" claim. Boxes with that feature are typically much bulkier and from my recollection, the '54 boxes look pretty much the same as '49 up.

In any case, a box in better condition would be worth the effort to change it.

5. 33Tudor

33Tudor

Yes it will. Some years ago, my neighbor was restoring a 49 fleetline and wanted to convert it to automatic, making it look stock. We couldn't find a 50 to use the column, so we used everything(trans, column, indicator)from a 54 and it bolted right in.

6. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The box should have "better" gears or bearings or some such, plus, the column is shorter to give you more room, and you get integral turn signals. That's what I remeber anyway. And yes, it's a bolt-in. Butch/56sedandelivery.

7. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Its not recirculating ball and the only difference in the bearings is the sector shaft has a roller bearing and not a bushing like the '50. It also has a slower ratio which makes it easier to steer. I replaced the gear box in my '50 sedan delivery with a 54 a while back and am real pleased with the results.
    Oh and you inherit self canceling turn signals in the process.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
    Slow down likes this.
  8. 100% bolt in, I did it with mine.

9. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

10. RATRODCHEVY

RATRODCHEVY

Cool. Thanks everyone for the info

11. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

I know that this is an old thread (for you thread police) but does anyone know how much shorter a 54 column is than a 50?

12. tkmark

tkmark
    1. 49-54 Chevy Cars

Ask over on Chevy Talk, someone will know there. I switched to a 54 column in my 50 Fleetline and it works bitchin. I did use my 50 shift arm assy. and had to drill new holes in the column to accept it. only about an inch or so away from the original holes.

13. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

Was there a noticeable difference in the distance to the steering wheel after the switch?

14. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

None that I noticed.

15. tkmark

tkmark
    1. 49-54 Chevy Cars

I didn't notice any either.

16. I also used the 53-54 column and gear in my 50 delivery......huge difference!
    I used an early 70s chevy van column [non tilt] after doing a little grinding on the original 50 column drop. I think the van column was 1/8th to 1/4 inch bigger. I cut the 53 steering shaft off about 8 inches above the box and tapped a seal in the top to keep dirt out of the box.....welded a rag joint receiver to the 53 shaft, using a cold, wet rag to keep heat out of the box. Used a new rag jiont bettween the 53 box and the van column to take some of the vibration out of the wheel and to help with a teeny misalignment ....worked great

17. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

53-54 are about 1 inch shorter, so there's a little more "belly room" with the steering wheel if you have that problem. And, you get built in turn signals. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.