Register now to get rid of these ads!

Copper header gasket help SBC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wildearp, Jul 8, 2011.

1. wildearp

wildearp
    from tucson, az

GEN 1 SBC , approx 1985, stock head ports. Sanderson 1 3/4" headers. Sanderson says their headers don't need gaskets, only silicone. This is bullshit, I went against my better judgement after my embossed gaskets failed miserably and tried the recommended sealant. This failed in an equally depressing manner.

Embossed gaskets may seal headers, but they must match the headers almost perfectly.

Solid copper gaskets work. I used them with these headers before, on and off multiple times and never a leak. I lost them to another engine after a header swap, but I can't remember where I got them or where to find them. They are flat, solid copper gaskets cut exactly like Felpro standard gaskets. Here is a picture of standard Felpro gaskets:

[​IMG]

Anyone know where I can find these in solid copper? I know SCE makes a full length solid gasket, but I really like these simple ones.

Thanks,

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  2. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm, looking for 'em, too, so I'll bump this to the top for us.

3. brad chevy

brad chevy

Speedway has them,they are one piece not the 3 piece like those.

4. outlaw256

outlaw256

ive always used stock gaskets on headers.felpro or mccord.very rarely have i had a leak.

5. Gman0046

Gman0046

Got my copper gaskets from Sanderson.

6. I picked my copper gaskets at Autozone.HRP

7. Been using MLS gaskets on my turbo set up for a few years now with supreme results.

Cometic header gaskets

I have had more problems with Sanderson Headers than any other brand, out of the box. They push the tube through and weld what they call an O-ring weld bead and then do not sand or machine it flush with the flange. What I have noticed from this is there is little or no material for the gasket to squish with in some areas around the port or bolt points.

What I have ended up doing in some cases is to use a soft, cheap header gasket and install them. Then I remove them and compare how the header matches up to the port and to see if I am getting an even squish on the gasket all around each port. If not, I add weld to the areas where they are thinnest and resurface. I have also had good luck sanding the O-ring completely off making a flat flange.

This is BBC, but you get the idea.

[​IMG]

8. Capt Crash

Capt Crash
    from Colorado

You could buy the one peice copper gaskets and cut them into the 3 peice design. I use the Fel-Pro gaskets that are pictured on my headers. They where made for the stock cast manifolds, but they work well with headers.
    Brian

9. sdluck

sdluck

Fel pro 3011g

10. wildearp

wildearp
    from tucson, az

I bolded my original post to clarify I need the felpro design in solid copper, dead soft, annealed. NOT embossed. I have a set, probably bought at a car show or swap meet. I need two more sets.

I bought the Sandersons 20 years ago. There weren't many choices in good quality headers at the time. The first set came in the wrong color, wrong tube size, with a hole clearly visible in the weld. This set has lasted a long time and is now going on a second vehicle. They do not match the stock chevy port close enough to fit with only silicone as they advertise.

I can cut down a one piece copper set from SCE E11186, but it sucks to cut up a $48 part. The three piece set was half that price. I was hoping to get lucky...........

I bought two sets of Edelbrock headers and they are just beautiful. This is a low buck project, so I need these Sandersons to work for me.

I have two sets of different port shape embossed gaskets. They will not seal stock ports with these headers, regardless of stainless or copper. I know solid copper gaskets will seal.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  11. Dave 39

Dave 39

I have done the Sandersons more than once using only high temp rtv, worked well for me. Your mileage may vary. Dave 39

12. Deuces

Deuces

x2 for Fel-Pro exhaust manifold gaskets for headers... I never had a leak! :)

13. hammered30

hammered30
    from west aus

14. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

I made my own copper gaskets from .080 thick copper that I bought at the scrap metal place, use a stock gasket or the header as the pattern or the block, cut out the ports with a hole saw. They aren't very hard to do, I made a set for my big block and they have been on there for eight years now. I have used the ultra high temp silicone RTV also and never had any problems. So good luck.

15. wildearp

wildearp
    from tucson, az

I will be trying this. How do you cut the basic shape? Tin snips? That would be right between 12 and 14 gauge.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  16. I've made them from .050 and .062 copper, whatever was laying around. I did the holesaw thing while it was in the solid strip state, fixtured off that hole for the bolt holes on the Bridgeport. Made a template and bandsawed the blanks out to layout lines. The first set I did, I shaped them to the layout lines on a belt sander, the last set I milled and fudged the corners on the sander.

Bob

17. You can get them from Summit Racing.

On a side note I have used the Permatex Silicone with copper in it in a pinch and it does work well for a while. It is not a permanent solution but it will get you by 'til payday.

18. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

19. FoxSpeed

FoxSpeed
    from NorCal

I have sanderson headers and used the silicon, if you do it right, it shouldn't leak. But......

20. wildearp

wildearp
    from tucson, az

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I found one thing that helps no matter what the material is a set of the header bolts that have the spring wire locking setup on them. I picked up a set for the sbc in my GMC after blowing a set of gaskets and it's been a year with no problems during daily driving. I think the ones I got were under 10 bucks at Autozone in the chrome goodie aisle. They are a lot easier than fighting with the little C clips on the others too.

Spectre Lockwire is the name on them.

22. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Wonder about your headers? I've had the same set on my Doug Thorley headers on a BBC 427 for over 25 yrs. and a number of R&R's and they still seal great.

23. Going to quote myself for emphasis.

Just like this poor bastard found out, if the ports don't match or the trained monkey welding the tubes to the flanges got sloppy no gasket in the world will fix your problem.

[​IMG]

Make sure your gaskets actually fit your headers, and also fit your exhaust ports.

24. wildearp

wildearp
    from tucson, az

So, here I am again. I need these gaskets again and they are hard to find. I found my thread on a google search for the gaskets. I did end up running the SCE E11186 with the Sandersons and they did seal. What the post above shows is not as bad as my leak with the embossed gaskets. Mine blew carbon out on the bottom of every port. The solid gaskets seal 100% and have survived several long interstate road trips. Edelbrock stopped making my favorite header, and I am stuck running Sandersons with my next build. So here I post a stolen photo of the solid gaskets I use, not the ones I really want:

[​IMG]

I couldn't find these on the SCE website this time. I hope they are still available.

I drive in pretty brutal conditions in the desert. Changing header gaskets sucks when on vacation. Solid copper gaskets, Permatex ultra-black, and stage 8 locking bolts absolutely will not fail, even with port mismatch.

$60 at Jegs, free shipping, backorder until???

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I haven't used a header gasket in about a decade.

Ultra Copper RTV.

26. 4thhorseman

4thhorseman
    from SW Desert

^^^ Same here on my '69. On my '32 I run an over the counter felpro performance header gasket against my Sanderson zoomies. No issues. Sunlight on a dog's azz maybe.

27. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Hmm, interesting. My last encounter with SBC headers was probably 20 years ago, some cheap headers made back then. But I'm reinstalling some next week and been looking at what's become available in both gaskets and header bolts. Think I'll start with the Felpro gaskets that came in the top end kit, with Ultra Copper.

Header bolts: It had the usual 7/16" hex head bolts, with a few of them too close to the tubes to use even a thin wall socket, in particular the rearmost where the firewall gets in the way of an open end wrench. I see new header bolts in 3/8" hex head, 12 point, allen head, and some fancy self locking bolts (as I remember SBC header bolts have a habit of loosening). What do you recommend?

28. I have two personal preferences for you. One bolt wise especially close to the firewall of no where else I use Allen bolts, sometimes you have to shave the head a little bit depending on tube size and unless you got 3/8 flanges you will probably have to shorten them a little bit. use high collar washers and you will almost never have to snug them once you have them tightened.

On the gaskets avoid the white gaskets, if you are using a paper gasket use the black ones the white ones burn out real quick as a rule.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  29. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

My Sandersons work great with no gasket's, but as mentioned make sure they are flat and match up to the heads.

30. Speedway sells a header gasket called the extreme gasket. They have worked perfect on my sanderson zoomies. I have even reused them after i have had the headers off, no leaks at all !