Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs axle or independent

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 36 sled, Mar 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 36 sled

36 sled
    from colorado

to every one who has responded thank you for your insight I am super stoked about this car so again didn't want to do something I might later regret:confused:

2. 36 sled

36 sled
    from colorado

whoa nice any trouble with tire rub when cornering

3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

no sir, I am running 5.60 15's up front

4. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

There is no problem with running an axle over longer distances. They handle fine and look much better than your other choice. But then to think of it, I do not have a pinto to compare it to.

Neal

volvobrynk likes this.
  5. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Don't let semantics confuse you. Hot Rod, Street Rod, Modified old car, i.e., all have nothing to do with building a car. Build what you like, call it what you like and drive the wheels off of it. I have both and the axle cars on some roads are real bouncy compared to IFS — but as stated above, I didn't set out to build a new suburban. I prefer the axles on open wheel cars and since you can't see them on fat fendered cars — use what you want.
    10659100_1615574908678275_1267527166405717580_o.jpg
    Here is my "reacher" — goes anywhere and is pure hot rod in my mind — Stance, Paint, Wheels, lots of horsepower and room to take a nap when I get there. What kind of suspension does it have? — who cares?

volvobrynk, pitman and LOU WELLS like this.
  6. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

axle for me is the only route--handles well and rides well. Done 13 40's all axle cars-even took an MII out of one and put the axle back.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. I have two axle cars (36 & 32 Ford) and collecting parts for a third (a 34 Ford).
    When set up correctly, they are a great ride and look the part.
    That's my vote......

8. 39-2dr

39-2dr
    from MISSOURI

9. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Okay guys first let me say I am an old style axle guy. BUT! If you want the best ride with radials you need to go to Pinto suspension. Or call it Mustang II if it makes you feel better. The reason is because modern independent suspensions have thick rubber between all the moving parts.Yes you can get real good ride and handling with an axle and radials BUT not as good as modern suspensions engineered for the stiffer modern tire. All that being said I have kept the front axle on my Cadillac powered '48 Ford but then I do run bias ply tires.

10. Stock axle, undropped, reversed eyes and de- \'36 all done 003.JPG arched front spring. 283 and 350 turbo. Drives fine. Oh, it also has 56 f100 front brake and stops just fine also.

117harv, X38 and bchrismer like this.
  11. Driving long distances is not an issue with an axle car. I and many others have driven cross country with them. Engine placement in an axle car isn't an issue either.

bchrismer and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. pitman

pitman

Either system can be set up to work just fine. The axle is actually easier, provided you can get the steering route clear, and geometry correct.

13. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

In all fairness to ol' Henry, that front end is build for shitty roads, if you run a stock front end at Chevy on top, it will handle like shit!

But the whole concept of hot rods, it to fix broken, and make stuff work there very best together, despite year and manifacture. The whole idear of adding aftermarket parts it's to make it run fast, straight and corner better. So why don't you just do that.
    Run a good quality front beam, have it dropped, match the parts and go cross contry, like it was meant to be!
    And it can be made to handle good and bad road. Always has, always will!

Ifs is for corvettes or low riders, not Model A's!
    In the words of Filmore from cars:
    Respect the classics!

14. Are you building a rod for you, or a soft riding grocery getter for the wife ? It's all about traditional good looks here. Dago axle all the way.

15. This thread is a semi pointless storm in a teacup. For crying out loud, SBC's have been put into 36 Fords for decades. It's a no brainer.

Beam axle cars - and trucks - have crossed continents for decades, another no-brainer.

The fact that some incompetent people can screw up anything, including a SBC installation or setting up simple beam axles suspension and steering, should not get in the way of reality. Chinese whispers from incompetent people can give anything a bad rap.

Harsh ride comes from springs and shocks too stiff or incorrect for the vehicle weight load.

Ugh.

16. 117harv

117harv

X38, you sure have a way with words.

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. This. Plus, we don't cover IFS swaps on the HAMB.

volvobrynk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.