Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Is "Metal Rescue" the same as "Evapo Rust"?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tubman, Feb 24, 2015.

1. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm full of questions today! I brought a 4GC with me to the Keys this winter to rebuild so it will be ready to go when I get back to Minnesota. I am disassembling it, and realize that I would really like to soak some parts in Evapo Rust (which has always worked very well for me). The only store of any consequence anywhere near me is a Home Depot. They have something called "Metal Rescue" that sure sounds like Evapo Rust. Anyone have any experience with this stuff?

2. What is a 4GC? HRP

3. Danny - It's the GM Rochester 4-bbl prior to the Q-jet. Standard equipment on a lot of 50s and 60s GM 4-bbl applications.

4. Check with some of the boat shops down there, they will have what you need.

5. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Anybody have the answer to this specific question?

6. OzyRodder

OzyRodder
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes it is the same but I have had better results with metal rescue.

7. Mark T

Mark T

So what are they? Citric acid?

8. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They work by a chemical process called "Chelation". I looked it up in the internet and got fully confused. I believe that a Molasses/water solution works by the same process. All I know is it doesn't damage anything and works great (expensive, though). I'll get some Metal Rescue today and see how it works.

9. Be sure and let us know how it does.

10. Beau

Beau

I just use vinegar. I have been cleaning up lathe parts all week. It works great.

11. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here are a couple of before and after pictures of the 4GC carb base I did in "Metal Restore".I soaked it in carb cleaner for a day and washed it off before letting it sit overnight in "Metal Restore". You will notice that I left all the carb linkage on it. That was because the secondary shaft was frozen in the body and wouldn't move. After the soak, it was freed up completely. It appears to be the same stuff as "Evaporust", but I can't rate the performance because I couldn't use the two side by side. I was satisfied with the performance, but not the price ($25/Gallon).

Before :

4GC 001.JPG 4GC 003.JPG

After :

4GC 004.JPG 4GC 006.JPG

12. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have used vinegar with some success too. I prefer this type of product because it will absolutely not harm anything other than rust. You can forget something soaking in it for a week, and nothing else will have been affected. Last year I had a '50 Ford grill that I wanted to sell. It looked pretty good, but the backside was really rusty. I soaked it in "Evaporust" and it removed all of the rust from the backside. It left the chrome completely intact, and the amazing part is that the remnant of the factory black paint in the grooves in the grill extensions wasn't even touched.

Vinegar and citric acid are just that, acid. While they work, you've got to watch the process carefully if you don't want damage something. Lots cheaper, though.

13. 69thumper

69thumper

i use metal rescue to clean out motorcycle gas tanks all the time, works great. wouldn't leave it in more then abt. 12 hours. good luck!

14. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

I use SC1000 remanufactured in Abilene, Tx. Search SC1000 on the internet.

15. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I "Googled" "SC1000" and got a bunch of electronic gear, a dress, and a couple of lamps? Are you sure that's the right name? I'd sure like to find a cheaper alternative!

16. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

Sorry, orisonmarketing.com/sc1000

17. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Clicked on your link and got an immediate "404" error (Not found). Before we get too involved in chasing this down, is it much cheaper than the other products?

18. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Now there's apparently a WD40 product in the mix out there too.

19. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Even more expensive at $28.50 a gallon. Do we have any chemists on the board that understand chellation? Would the proper mix of the proper type of molasses and water work as well? Like I said above, I tried researching chellation and almost immediately confused myself.

patmanta likes this.
  20. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

It would be nice to find a product (other than molasses) that we could get ONE gallon of and dilute to about 30 gallons of rust juice. I was watching one of those powerblock type shows online last week and they had a big Rubbermaid agricultural tub FILLED with that WD40 rust soak so they could dip their torn down flathead block and heads in it. I think at $28/gal, that money would go VERY far spent elsewhere.

21. studenut48

studenut48
    from Hanson, Ky

I have used both. Evapo is cheaper works just as good. However it's shelf life is not as good as metal rescue. Still i rather have evapo

22. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, I'll come back and answer my own question. After doing the carb base and some Corvette seat belts I am restoring, my gallon of Metal Rescue was all done! It started out quite "watery", and quickly "wore out" (turned black and quit working). It was all done after the carb base and some seat belt buckles. To finish up, I ordered in a gallon of Evaporust from Amazon; about the same cost (with shipping) as the Metal Rescue at Home Depot. As soon as I poured it in the tray I was using to derust the buckles, I could tell the difference. It seemed thicker and more substantial than the the other product. After a days soaking, all the rest of the rust on the buckles was gone. The Evaporust still looks good, and I was tempted to pour it back in the jug (but I didn't).

In my opinion, the Evaporust worked better and lasted longer than the Metal Rescue. The latter works OK in a pinch, but it's Evaporust for me from now on.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
    bchctybob likes this.
  23. mlaurence1029

mlaurence1029

Evaporust and Metal Rescue Rust Bath are the same thing. I’ve mixed the two and used both separately.
    Just wanted to say one thing. Someone said that you can just leave metal in it for a week or whatever. DO NOT DO THIS. It will turn the metal black.

2 hours or less for light rust

12 hours for moderate

24+ for heavy

Check on it every so often. Also, keep it in a sealed container while using/storing, otherwise it will evaporate. And finally, the temperature is IMPORTANT. You need the stuff to be in a 70 degree (f) room/garage. If it is too cold or two hot it will work like crap!

bchctybob likes this.
  24. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

I remember seeing at Hershey, some hot girls pushing some Beet Juice rust remover. anyone ever try it. I spent some time talking to them but didn't buy any.

bchctybob likes this.