Register now to get rid of these ads!

banger/t-5. halfass tech part two!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by heyitsnate, Mar 15, 2006.

1. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I did the T5 swap using the Auto Restoration kit. The kit is pure crap that needs a lot of modification. However, the finished product is great. My '29 CCPU has a B motor with an original CRAGAR head, rare Stromberg-Bendix manifold, headers, Remund ignition and balanced. Also have hydraulic brakes and F-100 steering.

The T5 makes a great driver!

2. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

Sorry, you got upset. My post is to inform, no criticism of your work is stated or implied. I think you got angry without cause--its the Internets fault:)

I tend to talk in shorthand--the guys I hang with are on my level; and understand without every single detail having to be repeated. I apologize again for my post not being clear. I'm a one finger typer and I guess I dont explain enough.

I saw that you used a good splined yoke, but want others to beware of the junk kit the guy in Indiana is selling with the PTO yoke,

The AA bellhousing is shorter, so I didnt have to cut or move my crossmember. AA bellhousings are pretty easy to get because mostly, no one wants an AA.

Yes the T-5 is a good conversion-I havent stated or implied its not. I have ridden in one and its VERY impressive. I NEVER said its unsafe!

I know you worked yer ass off. It has taken me 4 months of all day every to do my overdrive conversion. In my case the rear axle had to be rebuilt and I installed a dropped axle. I have also fitted 39 Lincoln brakes with 2" wide shoes into the 1940 brake drums. See my tech articles on this. I have been photo documenting what I do and I do plan to post tech articles. I just got my car back on four wheels yesterday and still have to reassemble the transmission and install it. I am using the 84-87 F-150 transmission. 3 speed plus overdrive. It has first and second gear ratios that are the same as the Model A and required no alterations to the frame, because I used one of the AA bellhousings I got. . I am also keeping the torque tube and radius rods. I installed 1975 Chevy Caprice (station wagon Only) rear brakes on my rear axle. Now I have self energizing, self adjusting brakes on all 4 wheels.

See my post--A tiny tech tip

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

I think you could use a standard spring spreader on a reversed eye spring if you clamp the spring U bolts on the end of the leaves UPSIDE DOWN. Tou'll need some washers or spacers, but it will allow a way to place the spreader bar ends. :)

4. Darwin

Darwin

"It has taken me 4 months of all day every to do my overdrive conversion."

Yup Chris your T170 conversion photos & commentary would be of extreme interest. Seems like the perfect trans for a Model A motor--and V8 flatheads too for that matter. I know there's a lot of work involved with this, particularly if one keeps the closed drivline, 'cuz the conversion sold by the guy in Dallas costs a bundle.

5. any updates on this project?

6. Wildfire

Wildfire

Go to youtube - search for HeyitsNate.

Its a running, driving hot rod.

7. one word on the video...Awesome.

8. Ice man

Ice man

After all the talk about the T-5 install, you need to talk to some one who has done it and has some miles on the car. I did mine 3yrs ago, love it, BUT, and this is a big BUT. That clutch is no good. DO not try to use it. Its a drag clutch, and will shake your teeth out. Had to take mine apart and have the clutch center removed in installed in a Model A clutch. Works great now, and we did 3 at the same time and all 3 had to be tore down again, and FIXED. Ice man

9. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Got my issue of F.A.S.T. yesterday and there's a teaser for a kit from Steve Serr that adapts the T-5 to a Model A torque tube. Might be on the F.A.S.T website.

10. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

I'm looking to do the same thing, my A has a cracked block and one thing has led to another and now it's getting a B motor with a Cragar head etc... Picked up a 5 speed at hershey. I'm looking for auto restorations or links that work./ advice now that you've done this?

Cheers!

Matt

11. captain j

captain j

I have used this t5 swap kit also. It IS A TON OF WORK!!! Someone here was complaining about don't use the clutch. Well I did and it's been fine for two years. This conversion is great and worth doing but the open driveline yoke for the rear banjo is a little iffy. I did use it and it's been fine but if I built another car I would also go with the Hot Rod Works rear kit. Something that hasn't been mentioned is that the guy does sell beefy rear radius arms that mount right to the t5. At first I didn't realize how weak the stock model a rear radius arms are. I twisted the crap out of them in the first test run with the t5. I got the beefy heavy ones from the guy who sells the kit and it's been great. I did not move my crossmember, I just cut a little out of it for the t5 clearance. I'm only running the original 4 banger so not like I'm beating/racing my car twisting it all up. Trimmed crossmember works fine.
    Thanks josh