Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods suicide doors on 32 Tudor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Balls Out, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Balls Out

Balls Out

I have a 32 Tudor and I want to suicide the doors. I am looking for a reputable shop in So. Cal. that has experience with 32 Tudoors. Went to the Grand Nat. and did not see one 32 Tudor with suicide doors. do not know if their is a reason for this or not.

2. The reason is....well, for one thing, it's a gimmick.

Mini truckers like that sort of stuff and this is traditional hot rod forum.

3. Just because you can doesn't mean you should....

4. Balls Out

Balls Out

I should of bought a 34,damm I hate when that happens.

fourspeedwagon likes this.

5. No, you should have gotten a 32 3w coupe if you wanted suicide doors on a 32.

Guys are kinda funny about their 32 fords. You'll not find many examples other than the 32 3w with suicide doors. Pay attention to the lines of the other cars that do have them and it might click why they have them and others don't.

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  6. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sure it may gain show point.. But don't do it.

7. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Henry original ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1425168280.494554.jpg

JimSibley and kiwijeff like this.
  8. Uk for sure
    Different than US in many ways.

image.jpg

9. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

If you must, Walden Speed Shop would be my choice for doing perfect work.

10. A gimmick for mini truckers he says.
    Now that's funeee......

11. Model T1

Model T1

Next someone will want to know how to put gullwing doors on a 32 Ford

chopper99 likes this.
  12. alchemy

alchemy

Can anyone tell me a good shop to install gullwing doors on my '32 tudor? And what's a good price?

26 T Ford RPU, chopper99 and Model T1 like this.
  13. Captain: Euro for sure and not as good looking as a US car IMO.
    Model tl: correct!!!
    Its not a Lambo

Model T1 likes this.
  14. Model T1

Model T1

I heard they do that up around Clear Lake, Iowa. Oh wait, that's where Buddy something died in a car crash or something!

15. Tony

Tony

Sorry, can't help answer your question...but i can give you an opinion you didnt ask for :)
    I have suicide doors on a 52 chevy truck i built. It was cool the first few months, now its a pain in the ass and id never do it again.
    Its a novelty that onlookers seem to still dig, but that novelty wore off real quick. I now hate em and have often thought about putting it back the way it was.
    If your dead set on doing it, i wish you good luck in finding a quality shop to accomplish it...but id reeeaallly give it some thought. Putting suicide doors on a deuce tudor isnt changing it for the better...it may be why you dont see many done.
    Done with my useless opinion :)

Tony

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  16. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

17. Drive'em

Drive'em

IMHO, don't do it. The classic looks of a 32, 2-door are way to nice to change it. Well maybe a nice top chop.

chopper99 likes this.
  18. I'm on the fence re putting em on a 32 Tudor.
    Is it for gimmick factor, or for function?
    I got em on my Hudson, they came like that from the factory.
    I love em, they are nice for getting in and out, they seem to be well balanced, and don't try and fly open even when open in wind. Im thinking Hudson got it right with the piano hinge. Best opening doors I've ever had.

19. Shadow Creek

Shadow Creek

As has been hinted at in previous replies..the European 32 Tudors came with suicide doors..and the bodies aren't exactly same as American ones. Personally, I kind of like suicide doors, granted my dad had a 34 plymouth while I was growing up which had suicide doors which may leave me slightly biased. And as hard as it is to come by original 32 steel, it is your car. However you build it, some will approve and some will not. Here's a euro sedan that is worth looking at - http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/french-sedan-1932.940461/

20. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

Other than the easier way of getting in or out---there really isn't any reason for it. Reread all the comments of guys who have done it on other cars---Some wow factor, but only for the first couple of times you see it. Just My Humble Opinion. BILL RINALDI

21. j2_detail.jpg
    I have seen artist renderings of a 5w and 2 door sedan being done like this
    basically, its a 3w style door and cowl
    this one has a 33 style cowl
    looks cool, lots of work
    but regular 32 sedan doors opening backwards sound odd to me
    I suicided the doors on a 40 ford with hidden hinges 20+ years ago and swore I would never do that again
    dont modify stuff just to say ya done it
    always have a plan

22. clem

clem

Easier to get in and out of ? Perhaps in a fordor with shorter doors, but cant see the point of doing it to a tudor.

23. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The German body, I think, which has suicide doors, is much different than American '32s. That is one Hell of an undertaking.

24. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

I must say WHY? just because you haven't seen one! They are hard to get out of and the reason they called them suicide doors is in the old days when the door accidentally swung open going down the road the person tried to grab the door and it ended up pulling the person out with bad results of a human body skidding down the road, thus calling it suicide. This ( did ) happen to a friend of mine with his wife riding in there 34 Ford coupe.She was lucky nobody ran her over.

25. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

Also back in 85 we had a guy bring to our shop a Downs body 34 chevy that he said going down the highway his drivers door flew open snapping off the hinges resulting with him watching in his rear view mirror a car running over the door. Downs wouldn't sell just one door so I had to completely rebuild the door straightening the frame work and re glassing the whole thing. So if you ask me why ,I would say don't do it.

26. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Welcome aboard Balls Out! LoL
    I wouldn't...but its YOUR car!
    How about posting a thread on the R/pu in your avatar? Looks like an interesting car and a "balls Out" ride! :D

27. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

As a friend of mine would say thats gayer than a bag of dicks!!!!!!

28. Ddooce

Ddooce
    from Memphis Tn

On the ease of entry/exit question - I submitted this to my live in expert who has experience of 3 window, UK 2door and cabriolet driving and riding.

The expert opinion is that it is easier to enter and exit suicide door in an "elegant" manner while wearing a tight and/or short skirt. She also reminded me that high heels leave a distinct mark - that the driver may or may not complain about - on the running boards when exiting in this manner.

She refused to commit on the safety aspect as she was not in the 3 window when the door opened at 70 mph. She did mention that if I got another car with suicide doors I might be rather lonely!

Model T1 and clem like this.
  29. Saw 1 years ago, what an idiot !!!!!!!!!!!!!

30. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I think it could be done nicely. If I was going to do it, I think it should be so subtle that people would question if it was original.