Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Last refuge pick up box

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A Boner, Nov 13, 2014.

1. A car for SEMA ?
    That was last week and Norm doesn't have the talent to do anything for SEMA.
    I've heard it all now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  2. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

You guys are wasting your breath ... O.P. doesn't hear the music.. Just his own drum....

We went four pages explaining a model A roadster is nothing like a model A coupe ... Pretty sure he still doesnt believe it....Some people just need to find out for themselves

3. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

So ....did you prove everyone wrong? Ol ' Norb pull through for ya?

4. A Boner

A Boner

image.jpg Update:
    A friend and I ordered two pick up boxes the first week of November 2014. His was an A and mine a 32. There has been a little drama, but they are are now delivered. The only glitch is that the A box is missing the front stake pockets, and they screwed up and forgot to ship the A tailgate. I ordered the 32 box without the tailgate, and that probably confused things with the double order. Everything we got is very nice. Six weeks seems like a reasonable time to wait, although it was promised sooner! Probably shouldn't over promise and under deliver. We thought 6 weeks was fast, but the "sooner" part was unneeded. Will update this post when the order is completed. Here is a pic.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  5. A Boner

A Boner

Got the tailgate and stake pockets this week. Very happy with the quality....A+. Less than 3 months from ordering, 'till completion of order. Seems like a nice guy that is trying to please. Probably shouldn't make short time promises. Three months seems like a realistic time to build and deliver these parts. We didn't bitch, but did, in a nice way kept in touch with his progress.
    Would I recomend buying from him? Let's just say, I would again, but don't do it if you don't have any patience, and are in a hurry. Building a hot rod usually takes more time than originally planned.....same with Norb.....just don't piss him off, seems to work!

6. trollst

trollst

He takes your money....and you worry about pissing him off?

7. A Boner

A Boner

If a jerk gives you some money, he is still a jerk. There are a lot of jerks in this world. I personally would put a jerk at the bottom of "the list".....just saying.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  8. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I know there's much been said about Norb on the HAMB and I have also had some delivery problems with him. But that said I ordered a stock 32 assembled box from Mack Hills in early Dec and was told delivery would be late Feb or early March. They also got their money up front. Seems to be a pattern with box manufacturers.

9. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

He promised 1 week..... And you decided an extra 3 months past that was acceptable ?

10. The buddy Flamedabone spoke of a while ago just got his rpu a couple weeks ago after a lot of broken promises. However Norb did deliver all the way to SC. He is still missing the tailgate. Good quality but I don't know that it is worth all the hassle.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. A Boner

A Boner

Like I said, he might want to rethink his delivery time promises. His product is great, and his prices are more than fair. Shit happens.....2-3 month wait time for custom sized parts in the street Rod industry seems quite normal to me.
    Norb fills a niche....you get the hard to make pick up bed parts.....2 sides, front panel and stake pockets.....for a little more than Mac Hills gets for CRATING and SHIPPING a complete bed. The difference is $1200 verses $3500. I also bought a new Mac Hills tailgate at a swap meet and some inch and a half square tube that is included in the $1200.

12. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I agree on the price difference. My current project called for a stock bed and had I needed a custom bed I would have tried Norb again.

13. A Boner

A Boner

Things are working out great. We used 1.5" square tube for the sub frame on 3 sides, and 2"x 4" rectangular at the rear.
    image.jpg

14. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I'm curious about one thing ,.. You said the bed you wanted was 3,400 .. And that is 100% stock all the irons ect. But if I were to go the way you are going why not get two repop sides from macs I think they are around 500.00 ea , stake pockets about 50.00 ea and make the rest like you are doing?

Ill admit the bed looks pretty good!, but the beads and the edges don't quite have that origional look

15. skipstitch

skipstitch

[QUOTE="
    Ill admit the bed looks pretty good!, but the beads and the edges don't quite have that origional look[/QUOTE]

On a Hot Rod forum I always worry if parts look original! :) :)

16. A Boner

A Boner

It's a HOT ROD, not a restoration....bought a new Mack Hills tailgate at a swap meet.....so the bed will have an original enough look.
    The stock length Mack Hills bed is too long, and their short version is too way too short for the look we are after.
    Mack Hills charges a ridiculous amount to crate and ship their stuff. Norb shipped for less $ than MH's wanted to crate!
    Used some Mack Hills stake pockets on a previous project, and they were not too impressive.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  17. I also bought a '32 bed from Norb last winter. I wanted a custom length as well. Although it took longer than he originally told me, I had it in 6 weeks. I am happy with the quality, even though it's not exactly like original. The cost was also a plus at $970 shipped to my door. bed.jpg user46117_pic506872_1393106470.jpg

18. A Boner

A Boner

Looks good! We are doing the no chop, with longer box too. More room inside cab and in box to haul stuff. Might even go with chains for when tailgate is extended.

19. A Boner

A Boner

Finally got to the point where we could put the box on the chassis, so we can locate the cross braces to the body mount holes.
    It is 65" long.....stock length is 70 1/2"
    The tailgate is a Mac Hills.
    As for Norb being slow.....it's June already, seems as though Norb took less time doing his part than we took to do the rest!
    We are very satisfied with Norbs craftsmanship.....all his measurements are spot on.

Here is a pic from last night.
    image.jpg

54reno likes this.
  20. Looking Good!

21. I too got a bed from Norb at the end of last year. I'm very happy with it for the price. I didn't have the money for a Mac Hills bed, and couldn't justify the expense as I want to keep this project as cheap as possible, without compromising quality though. There's nothing wrong with a Norbs bed, and there are plenty of cool pickups around that have homemade beds, his does have a Ford flavour to it. The only thing that hasn't changed is his customer service. If he was honest about time frames, people would be more than happy to wait in most cases. But saying 2 weeks and then blowing out to 2 months is just stuffing the customer around. Say it will be 2 months and deliver it earlier if possible.

22. Roger53

Roger53

I'm may be missimg something here but this feels like somebodys trying to make this company look a little better to every body. What happened to the if it's not there when
    promised we'll stop payment. One week goes to 12 weeks and your ok with ya riiigth! Just sayin. Roger

23. A Boner

A Boner

When building a hot rod from the ground up, 12 weeks is nothing. While waiting 12 weeks for something you have ordered, there are 12 weeks of other things for you to do, to work around the delay. When you receive the product, and it is better than you were expecting....it is easy to forget about the delay....
    Such is life!

24. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

What a crock!.... You shouldn't have had to wait 12 weeks... period. I'm sure Norb is a buddy, but that kind of service is beyond abysmal.

25. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Don't know the guy... All I have to go is all of the negative posts we get about him - and there has been a lot. But, sure seems like he is making an effort to do better. Can't fault that I guess.

Kan Kustom likes this.