Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods First Rod Investment potential, Essex or Duece Ford?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by graniteguy, Feb 26, 2015.

1. graniteguy

graniteguy
    from Minnesota

I've always been a car guy and fairly new into the world of pre WWII cars. I am looking at two potential investments One is a 32 Ford sedan and one is a 27 Essex Super Six. They look incredibly similar and are equipped nearly identical. Both appear to be top notch builds and the Ford has a chopped top, which I like. The Essex is $5K cheaper than the Ford, but I wish it was chopped. Factoring that in to the would put them roughly the same price.

My question is this. Wouldn't the Ford be prone to hold its value better since, well, it's a FORD. I had never heard of an Essex before I really started looking. How collectible are they? Any advice would be appreciated.
    Brandon

2. JimSibley

JimSibley

The ford for sure

3. This is a no brainer.....GO WITH THE FORD and you will be way ahead if you ever sell it over the Essex

4. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Shut up guys!...buy the Essex and tell me where to find this '32 sedan

5. Silly rabbit.....Essex is for kids........

6. wagoon78

wagoon78
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Depends if you can afford the extra $5k. If you have it, spend it. If not, grab the essex and go.

And calling hot rods investments takes the fun out of it. Enjoy it, don't worry about what it might be worth when your done and ready to move on.

7. 19Fordy

19Fordy

8. You are comparing an Essex to the most iconic Hot Rod of all time.

Go ford! any pictures?

9. 39 chevy kustom

39 chevy kustom

Is the 32 real deal Henry steel, or repop.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. Investment?, buy gold not cars!

BTW,,the correct spelling is Deuce and I can assure you that a '32 Ford and a '27 Essex are not incredibly similar.

Your lack of knowledge can get you in a lot of trouble financially. HRP

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
    patmanta and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.
  11. Are you positive the Ford is a 32? Some people think all old cars are 32 Fords. Make certain.

12. What is the historical documentation like? As mentioned above, is the Ford a real Henry built? Someone said there's more '32's registered now than Henry built! Any fiberglas fenders? I'd still opt for the Ford since the parts are available. All the questions are to put you in the proper price range for negotiations.
    RB

13. Squablow

Squablow

Something seems shaky here. Those cars aren't even close to similar. Post pics. I don't want to give advice without proper info and we don't have that.

14. banjorear

banjorear

Agreed. If you think they look similar, my gut is telling me the "32 Ford" is a T or Model A with a '32 grille.

15. graniteguy

graniteguy
    from Minnesota

Wow, those are quick replies. They are both steel bodies.

I love the comments about the car as an investment. I could buy gold or stick it in the stock market, but what fun is that? This is something my whole family can enjoy and gives me an excuse to hang out with you old geezers...J/K
    And the price is in the 30K range if that matters. Probably overpriced on the Essex?

Special Ed likes this.
  16. Where are the photo's? HRP

17. Give us a round of pictures and you'll get another round of sound advice.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. 'Investment'..... Are you a hot rodder or a banker? Buy the car you like the best and/or is the best built. With only $5K difference between the two, it's likely either the Essex is overpriced or the Ford is mostly repo parts/has issues, given roughly the same build level. A top chop won't add $5K to the price of a early '30s car either.

19. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

ha ha ha ..the Hamb is still funny...

Special Ed likes this.
  20. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

why do I suddenly feel like I'm on Candid Camera

21. Allen Funt is now on the HAMB

22. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

My financial advisor says go with the Essex... Benny.png

23. Seriously,we need photo's of the two cars...

Are they original?

Is the '32 Ford sedan American or European?,,there are differences.

Are they street rods?

Are they something that would fit in on the Hamb? HRP

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  24. That question posed to the people of the HAMB is like me asking my 4 year old if she would rather have vegetables or ice cream for dinner....

25. Hot rods are not investments, they are for fun. If you ever look at anything that we build or buy as an investment you are leaving yourself open to a lot of disappointment.

As far as monetary value while I would like to own the Essex over the deuce personally for 5 K I would have to own the deuce the Essex is way over priced. Makes me butt hurt just to think about it.

Oh and if you do not know what you are buying always bring your own condoms. Remember always practice safe sex the life you save may just be your own.

26. Andy

Andy

A friend took a long road trip to go get a 32 Ford roadster. The seller put it was right in front of the house so he could not miss finding the house. It was a VW convertable with the fenders removed. My friend just turned around without stopping. Pics for sure

27. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"You bet your life" with Groucho is back!

28. We need a lot of photos. As others said, the '32 Ford could be a Model A, and for that mater so could the Essex. Set the camera on the lowest resolution and the photos will be easy to post. Now for a story. I ran into a guy that had just bought a 1928 Durant (if memory serves me correctly, anyway it was not a Ford). His previous investments obviously were in the stock market. He on raved about the car pointing out several times how rare it was. I hate people that buy cars only for an investment and push up the prices of cars that we appreciate as a hobby. As I walked away I thought to myself how rare the car was, I had bit my tongue and not told him the only thing rarer was someone that wanted to buy it. Trust me, he will lose his shirt when he tries to sell it. I definitely recommend the Ford, but we need photos. Spend some time in the hobby before you invest. How much wood is there in an Essex? One final thought, I like cars that are full height, they are more comfortable.

Charlie Stephens

29. Is the '32 Sedan a 2 door or a 4 door. $$$ values vary between the two.
    Did the Essex belong to Howard Hughes?
    Any historical significance involved here?
    We need pictures and solid description's of the pair to further guide you