Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dodge This - 1939 Dodge Southeast Gasser Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dog_Patch, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Probably messed up my own thread - the get the car done and learn to drive engine is almost done - its iron heads. That stuff above is for later :cool:

This is the hear and now heads which were ported by Digger Don who used to port heads with Buddy Jenzen in the 60's.
    ported_392.jpg

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  2. sch-1

sch-1

Grandpaw always told me that you can hide money. Now I know what he meant! ;)

3. He was right - you can hide money but you can't hide a Hemi.

Hey DOM - I got your phone message - been on the phone all night so we can talk tomorrow. But - since the plan now is to run the iron heads on the 392 and the aluminum on the 464, we don't need to fly cut anything. Its damn near March and Paradise opens March 21st. Time to stop dicking around. The all iron 392 is first up at bat. Thanks for checking on the piston fly cutting. The aluminum heads will need the top of the cylinder notched too. This is no time to start messing around :oops:

tylercrawford likes this.
  4. Tyresmoke

Tyresmoke
    from Norfork

Could you keep the build page going when you start running would like to see how the car develops

5. Sure thing Dave! Hard to believe its almost March.

Yeah Scot its going to be the last thing to go in. Just planning on aluminum floor and firewall. Then panel up behind the seats. As far as I can tell from the NHRA rules the trunk can be left open if there isn't anything in there. Not sure if that will create a big air scoop under the car or not ? :eek: Am planning to use 4 hood pins to hold the trunk lid on and call it done. Its just a skin now. Not sure how else to fasten it down.

Tyresmoke and GAOldsman like this.
  6. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Impressing chicks always seem to suck the cash out of our pockets :)

7. Man what a weekend! Got a ton of help on the chassis from Tim on Saturday. We finished up the rear end all except shock mount on the bottom. Got the panhard in, axles and brakes are in.

First thing was to make a drain hole for the rear - was going to weld a bung, but it tapped fine without it.
    IMG_0739.JPG
    Brakes are on.
    IMG_0732.JPG

Panhard bar was too short so cut and splice - its long enough now!

IMG_0735.JPG

IMG_0736.JPG
    IMG_0737.JPG
    IMG_0738.JPG

stealthcruiser and enloe like this.
  8. Sunday Blacksmith Tom and showed showed up before 10am - the start of a very long day ;) I am humbled that Tom would get in his car in Wiscinsin and drive down here to this heat and humidity. It must have gave him super power because at 10:30pm I cried UNCLE and had to shut down.

Tom sent this when he left the Great White North :
    20150228_063537.jpg

We got a ton of stuff done :) caught me up by 2 weeks for sure!

Shawn came over with his tube bender and we bent the bar to fix the seating issue.
    IMG_0741.JPG
    IMG_0740.JPG
    Tudor loaned us his TIG - awesome man thanks !
    IMG_0743.JPG

IMG_0742.JPG

AHotRod likes this.
  9. Laydrag heard the Blacksmith was in town and had to stop in for a look see.
    IMG_0746.JPG

Seat mounts done - seat belt tabs are done - steering drop is done but no pic of that. Awesome progress!
    IMG_0748.JPG
    IMG_0750.JPG
    IMG_0744.JPG

Tudor likes this.
  10. Awesome how much help you are getting. You guys do nice work! When are the test hits going to happen?

11. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

A little hard to tell in the pictures but do you have some gussets on the panhard bar looks like a point that will need to be very stout.

12. Well this week - hope to get the SEG clutch done - its causing RAM some problems due to the HEMI :confused: then the valve train for the iron heads is having some snags. Working on that this week. My educated guess is end of March.

Here is the column drop.
    IMG_0753.JPG

Tudor likes this.
  13. You mean front to back gussets ? We talked about this - it should only see left and right sheer ? Yes ? Its left long - gonna cut it when the car is loaded.

14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I know its just left to right but being a single sheer mount it may have the tendency to want to twist.
    May not be a problem but I always seem to want to over think things.

15. Mac30

Mac30
    1. S.F.C.C.

The belt bar looks Muy Bueno.

16. You need to keep that cowl vent scoop Tony! Your 392 will love you long time! If your as bad ass as I think you are, you'll figure out how to hinge it at the front, so it opens at the back, or heck just make it permanently open?

30dodgeboy likes this.
  17. Good idea Ric - will this also help keep flying beans and pork being thrown out by Yesterday's Chili as she passes, from getting in my top fuel mask ? :rolleyes:

30dodgeboy likes this.
  18. The trans needs to have rods built to fit exactly where the shifter is going, so its mocked up and ready for some High Times at Hightowers :)

IMG_0762.JPG

Kevs56 and AHotRod like this.
  19. Pat Norcia at RAM has been putting a lot of time into this Hemi clutch deal. The standard SEG rig is SBC based and its been figured out for a while. Then here comes a 392 :cool: what a pain in the ass :D After many emails phone calls and finally shipping the flywheel, he said ta hell with this, he can make a flywheel in less time than talking about it. Look out Wilcap :D Ram has 392 flywheels now.

Can't say enough good things about Pat Norcia at RAM !!!

IMG_3627.JPG

IMG_3629.JPG

IMG_3628.JPG

IMG_3630.JPG

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
    OahuEli, AHotRod, 30dodgeboy and 7 others like this.
  20. Floater03

Floater03
    from Byron Ga.

I know you are busy with the build Tony,but ,are you gonna make it to Garlits?

21. Man we always have a good time at Garlits but this year its all about getting this car ready to race. Just don't think I can do it. Last year I had entry #2 ! Then my Dad got sick so I missed that one too.

22. Floater03

Floater03
    from Byron Ga.

I can understand that,missed last year too. The Salvagerz,which my Dad and brother belong to started the host duties last year so I got to make it this year! Car wont but I will.

23. how many teeth on the ring gear?

24. Its the same ring gear that was on the Wilcap flywheel. 172 ? It fits a mopar mini starter.

30dodgeboy likes this.
  25. Hemi

Heinous
    Extremism
    Manifests
    Itself

Damn the HEMI - long live the HEMI. What else can go wrong? Never ask that. The head gaskets are here, time to get this thing bolted up. Lets toss a head on real quick and just see where the valve and the pistons live - just for fun of course. :rolleyes: I mean Wiseco makes motorcycle pistons - they should be able to make a HEMI piston. I mean we didn't ask them to build a moving part or something difficult did we? Ok rant is over.

First a quick walk around the Hemi valve pocket. This pic was snagged from Hot Heads - note valve pocket.
    462_hemi.jpg

This was my 330 Desoto - note valve pocket - Ross 9.5:1
    IMG_2578 (Copy).jpg
    The 392 in the 31 - Ross 9.5:1

DSC01764 (Copy).jpg
    And a WISECO custom shop :confused: ......

100_1826a (Copy).jpg

Swing - Miss ! Son of a @#$% . How hard is it to make a piston guys?

So I called Tyler and he says "We can fix it - no problemo" The real pain is that all those spiral locks need to be spiraled back out of the pistons. Fun times. ;)

AND - I sent Ric Panneton some pics to see if I was missing something, you know what he says? True Ric fashion - "The CP in CP Carillo means Correct Pockets".

powrshftr and fast30coupe like this.
  26. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

Damn and I thought playing with playdoh was supposed to be fun. Sorry to hear about your luck. Glad you got a plan. Looking forward sitting in the seat this weekend.....If I fit. :):):)

27. Tony, CP also stands for "Chrysler Pro's" :)

powrshftr likes this.
  28. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Well that right there is a piss fucker

29. Thanks. Its hard to tell from the picture. I have an aftermarket flywheel and sintered slipper clutch for an early hemi - with 139 teeth on it. I know the 146 and 172 are stock, but have no idea what the 139 is intended for.

30. Mac30

Mac30
    1. S.F.C.C.

That flywheel is nice!! Good to hear weisco is going to make the Pistons right. They sure did miss the mark by a lot.
    Is there a clearance tolarance on the block and the valve or is a if it clears it clears?