Register now to get rid of these ads!

27 T suspension

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Apsencik, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Apsencik

Apsencik

27 T rides like crap. Jumps off the road with the slightest bump. Is there a better/softer spring out there?car has virtually no suspension. I bought this car and did not build it. Car also has very tight steering with a new vega box. Has no slack in any joints, but has a tendency to wander a bit. Any help or advice would be great. Thanks. AP.

'27 T Roadster.

2. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Pics??

Where are you at?
    You first car with bias ply?
    Is it not to tight in the steering box?
    What type of shocks? Tube or friction?
    What does it weigh?
    How many leafs front and back?
    Stock, gow job or a frame?

Tell all, show all and leand it to a fellow who is experienced with ground-up builds.
    Nothing, beats the feel when in the car!!!

3. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

If you can tell us what springs are on it now, and the way your chassis is built, there is a lot of guys here who could offer quite a bit. Post as much info as you can

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. Apsencik

Apsencik

2x4 tubing frame.
    Channeled body.
    Stock rear leaf spring
    10 bolt gm rear end.
    1880 lbs

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1422493621.618046.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1422493649.651298.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1422493715.817707.jpg

'27 T Roadster.

5. frosty-49

frosty-49

have a front end shop check your alignment, mostly the caster. should be 5degrees or more. might help with control and dart in steering. just a place to start

6. tikiwagon13

tikiwagon13

Sounds like you might have some bump steer

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

WAY too many leaves on that front spring. Take out every other one and see how it rides now. I'm not nuts about how that wishbone is cut like that, and how the shock mounts on an angle to it.

Don

8. Apsencik

Apsencik

I've got a few things to change. That wishbone does bother me. Checked the mounting bolts today for the lead to the frame and there was only one right bolt and one other with a nut. 2 without nuts at all. I will take out the leaves and see what happens and get an alignment. Thanks !!

'27 T Roadster.

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. manyolcars

manyolcars

measure the wheelbase on both sides. see if both sides are the same

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. Have you driven it without the shocks? They may be too stiff, along with the spring pack.

11. sunbeam

sunbeam

Check for wear at the end of the leaves to see if they have worn into the leaf below it. Also from the picture it must be a cross steer but I don't see the steering gear there must quit an angle to the drag link.

12. Wander can be one of two things either the king pin angle is wrong or it has a toe problem. It should not wander @ 1/8" toe in.

As for springs no way to know of there are any lighter springs without first knowing what springs are on the car. I would suggest maybe removing a leaf or two and lowering your air pressure in the tires.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  13. Apsencik

Apsencik

I'll take some better pics today

'27 T Roadster.

14. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You want 1/8" toe in, not out.

15. You are correct I didn't type what I was thinking. Corrected
    Thanks

16. Track-T

Track-T

[​IMG] way too many leafs...heres my front end on my 27

17. JMel

JMel

Hey man. I'm shocked to see this. I've never had any issues with that car jumping or darting anywhere, or bump steer or anything of the sort. It's the best riding and most stable hotrod I've ever driven...although it is quite rough...but hell, it's a hotrod.

As far as roughness, check air in rear shocks. Maybe low on air... Careful taking out springs in front...Not a lot of space between frame and axle.

I'm willing to bet that I logged more miles in that roadster than most do...no matter what the weather. Bias ply tires will float and get bullied by grooved pavement but never have I had any stability issues in that car. Wind bullies me more than the road does but that's more due to lightness of car.

As for wishbone set up. I've had a couple people say they don't like it but it was set up by an old timer who had been building cars for 50 years who did that back in the day to give clearance of tires rubbing on bones in sharp turns. He had never had an issue and that is a seriously thick piece if steel. He never had any issues with set up and I trust him with my life and my wife's...but take that for what it's worth.

Feel free to call me if ya have any questions or problems. If car is that rough...first thing I'd look at is rear shocks...check air in them, maybe low.

18. JMel

JMel

Oh....also taking it to alignment shop is never a bad idea. I hadn't done that since the car was built. Never hurts for that to be rechecked. Getting it checked is never bad advice.

19. Can always take out leafs and put a spacer between the perch and spring. Softer ride, yet same height.

20. JMel

JMel

You're right...can certainly do that. I'd actually be curious to how that affects ride. I still contend that problem lies in rear still regarding rough ride. I put air shocks on it when I built it and later regretted it. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Always rode great but over time they'd gradually get low on air...slow enough to where I wouldn't notice, but not fast enough to where I considered it a problem. Would put air in them couple times a year and would magically ride great again leading me to consider putting new shocks on the back.

As far as bump steer...that's news to me. Never had stability issues in it and cruised it regularly and often at highway speeds and faster in dallas with crappy torn up highways. If there's a problem, I'm curious to what is causing it.

21. Bump Steer is unlikely, with cross steer.

22. spooler41

spooler41

When you remove leafs from your front spring , it will start to act more like a spring.
    As it is now it's acting more like a solid cross support ( no flex). Removing leafs will allow
    she spring to work as it was designed to, soften the ride, and add control.

...............................Jack