Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1937 Ford truck hot rod roadster build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Todd M., May 26, 2014.

1. Todd M.

Todd M.

I managed to find a 1940 steering column 3 on the tree, with a perfect steering box( no play) for $20.00 at the Turkey Rod Run in excellent shape. Luck have it, I didn't purchase the one just shy of $300 bucks and walked a couple more rows and found a gentlemen just trying to unload a bunch of garage dust collectors off of a '40 coupe! Ya, I walked past the other vender with my new column , he just looked at me kind of smug.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  2. Wayne67vert

Wayne67vert

I like it! Watching how this plays out!

3. seatex

seatex

You've gone mad. It will never work. That'd be foolish. Impossible........................................."Subscribed!";)

4. Todd M.

Todd M.

The '62 Vette is done, and I'm Finishing up the 1946 Ford custom leather upholstery. I'm really looking forward to getting back on the 1937 build!

[​IMG]
    The blend came out great!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Sitting patiently to start back on!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  5. Still following too. Very nice work.

Posted using the Full Custom twig in the sand App!

6. Hopefully you get the same momentum back

7. Todd M.

Todd M.

Absolutely will! No off switch with me, I live for this stuff!

8. indyjps

indyjps

Found its thread again, I read thru it when we were at about page 2. Happy to see the progress, keep the pics coming.

9. Todd M.

Todd M.

Well, after taking a few lumps the past few weeks, I'm going full bore on the 1937 Ford Hot rod build! Her is the intake for the Flathead. With a couple of chrome stacks on top the carbs, from the cockpit you'll be able to see the heartbeat of the engine shaking down the road. The stacks will be about 2.5" above the windshield post! I've also decided to go 3 on the tree for nostalgic and leg room purposes.[​IMG]

Clam_hammer and lowcoe like this.
  10. Todd M.

Todd M.

The last couple of days I've been putting together a 1940 Ford steering box/ shaft to a 1946 Ford column. I moved the box bracket forward 4.5" to compensate for the suicide front suspension. It turns real smooth! Once I get the column bolted up to the dash I will weld and fill in the fire wall to get a clean look with the column.

[​IMG]

11. Todd M.

Todd M.

I welded the cab metal sub floors in today. Took the original metal and modified for the channeling, now I will fab the tunnel area and trans. cover. I changed my mind again and going with a floor shifter. Can't wait to make the custom wood floors! I'm a couple of weeks out getting the cab prepped for paint.

12. Todd M.

Todd M.

I'm thinking out load here on the wood cab floors. 3/4" ply under lay with 1/2" thick 3" red oak planks stained antique pecan with brass inlay studs, and Crist Craft boat style joints all clear epoxy then clear coated. The tunnel hump 8 oz. steer hide shoulder with brass studs around the edges.

13. Todd M.

Todd M.

I don't believe in coping someone else's design. Her is something that has the overall look I'm after with the floors, But will be done with my skills.
    [​IMG]

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  14. That's really sharp!

I saw this in a magazine. The troughs let wires and brake lines pass
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

15. Todd M.

Todd M.

That's a nice set up with the room for wires. I was thinking of running them through the inner rocker panels. That set up is trick as well!

16. Todd M.

Todd M.

Just installed the open drive shaft adapter. Man, don't you wish all parts would go in as easy as this! Not to many new parts in this build, most I'm using are '49 and older with the exception of intake manifold, housing adapter, new SW gauges, and Chevy alternator.
    The sub floors need a lot of cleaning and grinding,, then they will be ready for primer.
    Today I'm working on splitting the rear wishbones and measure to shorten the '49 drive shaft and make a plan to create center torque bar, to compensate for deleting the solid torque housing drive shaft.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  17. Todd M.

Todd M.

[​IMG] The rear bones are shorten and I used one of the wishbone left over section for the support bracket. Now for cutting and welding the open drive shaft. The second photo shows the sub frame new brackets for holding the 3/4" sub floor boards in. ( this isn't done and will make a 1/4 bracket along with metal tube) Just in mock up for now.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  18. Why does that look like two 3/4" washers welded together (x2) with a 1/2" bolt thru both pairs of them and the wishbones?

image.jpg

lowcoe and bct like this.
  19. Todd M.

Todd M.

I'm still working on it. I still have a center tube to weld in for the bolt to go through. See an issue?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  20. Well, I'm not the kind of guy who walks into the kitchen in the middle of dinner's preparation and asks why the place is a mess.
    I'd say the issue is you're not finished yet. :)

21. Todd M.

Todd M.

The drive shaft is in, at least for mock up.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Todd M.

Todd M.

Now I'm trying to figure out wear to position the 1940 Ford brake-clutch assy. with channeled cab and a little rake. Does anyone have some pictures for some ideas? I may cut out the center of the frame and fab a new bracket to get it right.

23. Todd M.

Todd M.

I got the 1940 brake pedal assy. in a great position to weld in. Making a 1/8" gauge bracket to bring out the pedal assy. 3/4" out from the frame.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Wayne67vert

Wayne67vert

Looks good Todd!

25. Todd M.

Todd M.

Thanks Wayne. How's the 1938 Chevy?
    The brake/clutch bracket is welded in and the brake assy. bolted up, works great! Now cleaning up all the sub floor metal and prepping to install the tunnel, and trans. cover, along with fabricating a couple of rear cab reinforcement plates to shore up the rear cab , so the doors shut soundly. I will be getting some more body work in the next couple of days. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. Todd M.

Todd M.

I had a little mishap last Thursday and broke my right knee cap. So, I ordered some truck jack stands 28 3/4" high, so I can continue working on the build at waist level, which will allow me not to lay on my ass doing nothing and get this build done. I ordered the sheet metal to fab a new truck bed it will measure 55"x 29" I may build in a utility box for luggage and chair storage as well. The paint has been mixed and looking real good. This may be the first paint job I've done in a leg brace ;(

Wayne67vert likes this.
  27. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Danged sorry to hear of your mishap but am glad that you seem to be taking it in stride.
    Just don't overdo it and cause yourself a much longer recovery period.
    Work as smart as you can... and from the looks of what you've done you are pretty "smart."
    For selfish reasons we don't want anything bad to happen to you... we're enjoying the ride too much!
    Be safe,
    Al

28. gregaustex

gregaustex
    from Austin

Sorry to hear about your injury and like Al said, I'm really enjoying following your progress.

Godspeed.

Greg

29. Todd, ouch! That must of hurt like a mother for a while. Not a good spot for an injury for sure. Hope you are able to get abut ok. Will keep looking for updates. Your are doing a super job. If I get down there in April I will look you up.