Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '56 Fairlane Gasser Project

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by The Human Wrench, Dec 15, 2014.

1. The Human Wrench

The Human Wrench

I have never done a build thread and probably won't take too many pictures 'cause I use a camera instead of a phone for pictures. This is what I'm starting with. P2210015 (2).JPG

Last edited: May 21, 2021
  2. The Human Wrench

The Human Wrench

Here is what has been done so far. The floorboards were junk so out they came and made room for the engine. I guess it's going to get a built 429. I would rather have an FE or a Hemi but maybe later. I sold a guy a 392 a few years back and he still has it, so maybe. PC110012.JPG PC110013.JPG PC090008.JPG

3. wvenfield

wvenfield

The 429 will be cool on it's own.

31hotrodguy and OahuEli like this.
  4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

DSCN0258.JPG Cool - pic from local show DSCN0257.JPG

5. Actually that part of the floor board that goes up and down is called a firewall. :D Sorry I wanted to say that to make myself feel important. :eek:

Looks good so far. I have a soft spot for 55/56 fords.

6. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Dang! You planin on a little engine setback or mid engine?:D
    I like the first shot:cool:

Deuces likes this.
  7. Even more cool if its a boss. ;)

56 ford custom and Deuces like this.
  8. The Human Wrench

The Human Wrench

Gonna move the engine back about 6 inches. The guy in the previous picture is my buddy, he is the sheet metal man. He will fab the new floorboards and firewall. While he has been doing that I have been restoring the dash. We started on this about 3 weeks ago so these are catch up pictures. Mac's back ordered one rocker panel so I told them to wait and ship when they bad both. With upcoming holiday it may be awhile before much else gets done. And yeah what I'd give to have a Boss9! PC090004.JPG PC100011.JPG

9. I started out with 56 fords. Wrenched on the Boat Anchor Y blocks. Mom had a 59 four door former cop car. It had a 300 Hp 352 interceptor with a blown crusomatic. That Fe found it was into my 56 htp. with a stick and 411 gears it wasn't too bad a hot rod. I sold my collection of 55 & 56 ford sedans in order to pay cash for the place where we now live. I hung on to a 55 two door ranch wagon. I had it parked out front for sale for a couple of years. I wanted $2500 . Yesterday I pulled it out back. Im tired of low ballers and lookie loos. Ive got a 428 out of a 66 galaxie That need,s to be installed in the wagon. Any road the recient 56 ford threads have made me decide to not sell my 55 wagon.

Deuces and Silenmusicio21 like this.
  10. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

I'm going to WATCH this thread because I have one similar to your and just can't bring myself to work on it. I've tried to sell it and I don't want to crush it so may I will be Inspired...Thanks and looks good so far! I really love the dash in those old Fords!

Deuces likes this.
  11. mjlangley

mjlangley
    from SE MI

Go man go! My 56 had been sitting and waiting for three years and I finally got started on it a few months ago, same plan as you.

You're already further along than I am though...

Deuces likes this.
  12. AHotRod

AHotRod

Is "this" gasser going to be raced?

Deuces likes this.
  13. The Human Wrench

The Human Wrench

Wow! I didn't know how many old 55/6s were waiting around to be worked on. I have had this one for over a year and finally made myself get started on it. Yes, AHotRod, it will be raced as much as a guy my age can. I got inspired at the Hot Rod Reunion at MoKan this fall.

14. bigslim55

bigslim55

The Human Wrench, good luck with the build! Can't wait to see how it progresses! I've been upgrading my brothers 55' Ford Gasser! One thing I took advantage of with MAC's is there monthly sales! Saves a lil coin! You should REALY consider is checking out the Meltdown Drags in Byron, IL in July! That will get your juices flowing! It's like stepping back into the mid 60's!
    Jim...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. AHotRod

AHotRod

Since your building a gasser, why not build it to these rules while your at it: http://www.southeastgassers.com/
    Quain will answer any questions you may have.

The Human Wrench likes this.
  16. The Human Wrench

The Human Wrench

AHotRod,I checked out the rules and for the most part what I want to end up with will be pretty close. I have one of the old Ford truck hood scoops, Thunderbird buckets, Cragars, it will have a straight axle, fenderwell exit headers, ladder bars, 9 inch, roll bars, blue tinted sideglass, painted aluminum inside door panels & radiused rear wheel openings. The only thing too new would be the 429 and I think the earliest one of those style engines came out in 1968 as a 460 in Lincolns. And as much as I like toploaders I think this one will get an automatic. (That's a 428 PI with a toploader in the Model A pickup. I'd like to have the same setup in the '56)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  17. The Human Wrench

The Human Wrench

Drivers side rocker installed other side is cut out and a little rust repair in the forward cowl. More pictures tomorrow.

Attached Files:

18. The Human Wrench

The Human Wrench

Not much done lately but ordered the front and rear quarter panel patch panels today. I did get the fender cut out for the slicks. Gonna start out small and go from there. Scraped about 20lbs of tar gravel and undercoat off of the frame. Midwest cars are always full of that and mouse condos. P1080001.JPG P1210008.JPG

Aussiepete., JUNK ROD, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  19. The Human Wrench

The Human Wrench

We finally got the quarter panel parts in so some progress is being made. As soon as we get the lower body back together it will be on to the floorboards and firewall. P2030001.JPG P2030011.JPG P2030013.JPG P2050002.JPG

Deuces, Aussiepete. and JUNK ROD like this.
  20. Cool keep the updates coming.

21. I'm liking this build,I have always had a soft spot for '56 Fords.

Back in the 60's there was a guy from Georgia that showed up almost ever Saturday night looking to make a name for himself around the upstate of South Carolina.

He drove a yellow jacked up '56 Ford with radius rear wheel wells,no front bumper and a 429 with a 4 speed with a roll bar,,it was a street car but just barely.

I saw his tail lights several times.o_O HRP

22. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

I like it a lot!....I also have a soft spot for mid 50's Ford cars...I don't seem to see many of them anymore for some reason...but there is so much potential with them! I look forward to see where ya' go with this car:)

23. The third character of the serial number indicates which assembly plant built the car. If it's an A, it came from the Atlanta plant, and my father, who worked there 1952-82, leaded the seams on it. I have a '55 Fairlane 4 door that my parents bought new.

24. The Human Wrench

The Human Wrench

Like hearing everyone's stories. Thanks for the encouragement. Got a little more done this weekend. I paid stupid money for a nos Ford hood scoop that everyone who has one thinks it came off of a SuperDuty Pontiac but I am proud of the shiny grille piece, and except for a little surface rust from apparently damp storage it is A1. P2120002.JPG P2120004.JPG P2150007.JPG P2150008.JPG

Deuces and mammyjammer like this.
  25. CGkidd

CGkidd

Love the progress subscribing to this one.

26. Roger53

Roger53

I used to help my dad on his 55'56's when he raced in the late 60's great looking cars. Would love to have one to do myself but there's just non around here. Keep the pic's coming and great looking pickup. Roger

27. Looking good! Subscribed and looking forward to more updates!

28. Subscribed. Looks cool.

29. That scoop is killer. Nice work on your project.

30. The Human Wrench

The Human Wrench

P2170002.JPG Got the passenger side ready and ran out of wire last night so on hold 'till this evening. 38fordpickup, the 3rd character in the vin is a K which I think indicates that this Ford was built in Kansas City. I'll bet this has been a Missouri car all its life. On both sides above the chrome trim and on the trunk you can see where long ago faded letters spelled out Talley's Electric Sewer Service Joplin Mo. MA2 3453 (I faked the numbers because I can't remember them and I am at the house and the car is at the shop, but you get the picture) I have tried to take pictures of it but it is so faded they don't come out and you have to kind of look at all 3 locations to put it together. It appears that some time in its past it got a floor shift a tach bolted to the dash and a mustang steering wheel, but the lack of any other lettering or evidence of any decals makes me believe it was a hot rod after it was a company car. If anyone from Joplin has any info let me know. I bought it in Nixa a couple of years ago and fortunately it wasn't in Joplin when they had the tornado or it might be in the scrap heap. When new it was a fairly well equipped car especially if it was bought for company use, it had power steering, a V8 (thunderbird emblems on the front fenders) windshield washers, radio, clock, deluxe heater and Fairlane trim including dual exhaust thru the bumper, it all appears factory. Final note, one good thing about winter, it keeps you in the shop and working on the project.

Deuces, SPEC and JUNK ROD like this.