Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Model A front crossmember in '32 rails

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Groovybaby6, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

I know this has been done before but this is the first time I've done it and had a couple questions.
    As you can see in the pics, I bolted it in using the stock top 2 holes and the side holes since those line up. This would work okay but the mounting tabs on the bottom of the A crossmember don't reach the bottom of the '32 frame rail and the holes don't line up.
    So, am I better off welding up all the holes in the frame and starting from scratch after the crossmember is squared in or can I bolt in like this and make some new mounting tabs for the bottom of the crossmember to reach the rails? Or is there another way?

Attached Files:

2. alchemy

alchemy

Is this for a '32, or something else? Using that '28 crossmember on a '32 will mess up your hood alignment, as the pads the radiator bolts too are too high. Find a '30-31 crossmember and use that (lower pads).

If it's for a highboy A, then it doesn't really matter which way you weld it in as everything will need to be specially fabbed and aligned anyways. How's the width compared to the original '32 width? Have you checked your caster angle to try and get at least 5 degrees into it?

3. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

It's a '27 T body on these rails, no hood, no fenders and the 106 wheelbase isn't a concern either.
    So, I just need to worry about the best way to fit that crossmember in the rails.
    I don't have a '32 front crossmember to compare it to, does someone have the width of one?

4. You're going to need to shim the gap or stretch the crossmember, either way That's an easy one. The width? Well that deends on how narrow you set up the rails for the T body. You want smooth tapers, not inoutinout

5. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

Well it's got a stock '32 K member so the width should be stock '32 width up front.

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The A crossmember is slightly wider than '32.

7. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Yea, what bruce said, and the rail angle is different too. I usually cut the "ears" and realign them to the 32 frame angle and weld them back on. Extend the lower tabs to reach the bottom of the 32 rail. Weld up the misaligned holes in the A crossmember and redrill new ones through the framerail holes.

8. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

Thanks Thunderbirdesq, your T roadster inspired me to build this T.
    I figured I'd have to do some cutting, grinding and welding on this.

Attached Files:

thunderbirdesq likes this.
  9. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

would this work for you?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]