Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ever get anxious and sell something too fast...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barsteel, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

Hello!

I've been trying to gather up some cash to add an OT Mach 1 to the collection. I've seen a few, but then someone offered me one that I'd seen a few times. Looked really nice, new paint, matching numbers, 4spd, etc. I wanted it, but was about $4K short. I HAD to get the money together quickly, so cut the price on a rust free '46 Dodge pickup I was trying to sell. It went, and I lost a few thousand. It was a REALLY solid truck, I loved the looks, had a lot of parts needed to get it going...but, hell, I wanted the OT Mustang.

Went to see the OT car today, went over it with fine tooth comb. Pass floor was REALLY soft, torque boxes not so great, interior was "ehh". Decided that I don't want it, or at least anywhere near his asking price.

The '46 is gone, it ain't coming back, and I'm kicking myself for selling it. I totally jumped the gun, now I'm out a really nice truck.

Looks like I fucked up :(.

Live and learn...

Chris

2. Look first, I guess would be the best lesson.

Look at it this way, you have room AND some dough. Finish up that project

3. Been there done that.Never should of sold my 56 Chrysler Windsor.Bruce.

4. Did it once recently with a part(s)..... gave it away,and after doing some research,There would be no way in hell,and I mean HELL,I could ever replace what I sold=dumbass,and a few other choice words for myself.Someone must have been looking out for me,as my buyer decided against his purchase,after it was in his hands,and I got what I sold back for the same $...... I feel very lucky at this point.
    I'm sure we've all done it one time or another,and have kicked ourselves= the hard way.
    Feel for ya...... But it is a live and learn world. Sucks sometimes,but we've gotta go with it.......

5. belair

belair

cheap lesson if you learn it - sin in haste, repent in leisure.

6. stimpy

stimpy

better than me , I seem to collected more junk I could have sold for $$$ that I cannot get rid of now and cannot use on the new project . anyone need any 3.4 chev parts ??

7. Been there. Just about anybody who has played with cars long enough has done something similar to this. Whats done is done so just keep the money safe (hide it from the wife)and don't spend it until you find exactly what you want. If you can buy what you truly love then you won't sell it to buy something else later.

fourspeedwagon likes this.
  8. Please excuse the smart ass remark here.
    First mistake was probably wanting a Mustang...

turboroadster likes this.
  9. are there mustangs that don't have soft floor and bad torque boxes?:D;)

10. harley rider

harley rider

cant believe you would do that before looking at the other car.

11. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

Just wasn't meant to be.

12. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

Harley - Had seen the car a number of times, sat in it, heard it run, etc. Just didn't crawl underneath it.

Ruff - 69 Mach 1...it's the ONLY year and model I'd consider buying. Everyone has their weakness...

tb33 - Missed out on one that was rock solid, but that's another story...

13. squirrel

squirrel

I sold one recently for too little, and it was useful, so now I get to live without it. I have 4 others that are driving, wife has 4 that are driving, I have a couple others that need to be worked on, so it's no biggy. And I can use the $$$ to buy stuff I want for one of the others.

14. Yep! Sold an all orig. 41 2 door sedan because I was stumped on an ignition issue. I thought the coil had died so I ordered a new one from macs but didn't fix the problem. I assumed it was something else but was stumped; got mad and sold it. heard from the new owner a few days later that the new coil was bad as well. he pulled an old one off the shelf that he'd had for years and it started right up! If I'd just bitten the bullet and spent a few bucks to try another new coil I'd still have the best car that ever slipped through my fingers. Lesson learned!

15. This thing.
    I owned it for 2 years and in a weak moment sold it to a fellow classmate who offered me twice what I paid for it. $1550. That was in 1968.
    I had instant seller's remorse the day he left my house with it.

I've always suffered from being overly impulsive. I grabbed his money without thinking it through. \'58 Corvette down by the lake.jpg

16. mike bowling

mike bowling

I get pissed at myself when I put a price on something, and someone buys it,no questions asked, for full asking price.My inner voice says,"You idiot, you could have gotten MORE for that!" Then I come to the realization that I might NOT have sold it at a higher price. Very confusing, so I usually just KEEP everything ----"Yes ,Precious, they wants you , but they can't have you, bad hot rod peoples!"

17. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

Been there. Done that....lots of times.

You will get over it, but it will stick with you. A '57 triumph pre-unit motorcycle, a '56 catalina, and a '64 chevy C-10 come to mind.

Live and learn and keep in mind that if you never let go, you never know what it meant to you.

18. AKGrouch

AKGrouch

We all have 20/20 hindsight. The problem is the foresight could be a bit better.

19. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

A good friend of mine's Dad used to say " Don't ever sell anything". How much better advice could a man give?

20. 47ragtop

47ragtop

I sold all my cars last years and parts. I want a 40 Ford coupe so bad. I haven't found the right one yet ,but Now I have the $$ to buy if I find the right one. I won't consider anything else and you should stick to buying the car that really want also.

21. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

what do you do if you want them all?

fine29 likes this.
  22. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

This thread reminds me that I want a '46 Dodge pickup (my granddad got one new and kept it til he died), and a '40 Ford coupe, but I won't sell the Nomad nomadder nohow

23. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

Should have keep the 36 Nash Lafayette coupe. Just a really unique car but needed cash. Never ending story

24. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

you win... dunce hat is in the corner, grab it on the way to the stool.

25. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sold an O/T 66 Nova, built 327, four speed, black leather interior, $400. Sold it in 1976. When you need cash, whaddaya gonna do? I'd give 30 times that to have that car back.

26. stimpy

stimpy

yep they and have hair and eat hay .. :rolleyes:

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  27. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Hell I'm still pissing and moaning about stuff I sold 40 years ago. I got to get over this shit.

28. slowmotion

slowmotion

'62 Belair bubbletop comes to mind (frequently & painfully). But I was only 16 at the time, so I feel better blaming it on stupid youth.

29. The37Kid

The37Kid

Yes! Vintage race cars, never sell one without researching their history. Never sell something to get the money to buy something without telling the seller. Sold my '56 Ford half ton that i drove home from LA to cover half the asking price on a Brass Era car once. With half the money I went over to talk with the seller, he'd sold the car to someone else. Told him the story years later, he was pissed! Turned out all I had to say was I wanted it and he would have accepted time payments. Bob

30. redo32

redo32

My wife needed a newer car, I sold my '57 Bel Air to a buddy to purchase an Impala. The wife lasted another 2 years and took the Impala. My buddy still has the '57. That was over 40 years ago.