Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1952 Rear leads upgrade or not

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brushy Bill, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Brushy Bill

Brushy Bill

Hey guys this is my first post, just joined. Ive been rearing on this forum eveTy once in a while when I have a question I need answered. I have a 52 Panel wagon that we are doing a full frame off resto on and I'm going with a 350/400 setup its not a race motor or a hot rod by any means and I was wondering if I need to change the stock rear leads put for 2 1/2" leafs or if the stockers are fine? Thanks in advance, will post pictures soon

2. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Welcome to the HAMB.

3. Brushy Bill

Brushy Bill

4. And again, Welcome to the HAMB.
    With regard to the spring. Seems the main consideration is getting the ride you want. Will it bounce around like a limber wagon or do you want a "civilized" feel to it. I'm guessing you won't be loading the thing up with heavy cargo like it was probably designed for. Might consider taking out a leaf or two and don't forget the sway bar front and back...

5. Brushy Bill

Brushy Bill

Thanks for the info, it has a sway bar in the front just need one for the back, my only question is am I going to need the wider springs or are the stock leafs okay with a 350 instead of the 235

6. Brushy Bill

Brushy Bill

also, no not going to load it up...just going to be a weekend cruiser for the wife and daughter, might even let my Dad take it for a spin when we finish it since it was his when he was a high schooler....not looking for a new car ride always been a fan of a little bit rougher ride just to let you know your driving around in a 60 year old car.......I have read that you need to replace the rear leafs with wider ones because the 350 has more torque and will twist the axle and ruin the leafs... I want to stick with the stock leafs and save myself a couple hundred bucks, but I also want to make sure it wont bite me in the ass and I will get it all together and then have to replace the rear leafs after all my efforts

7. Brushy Bill

Brushy Bill

Thanks wolf creek....

8. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Put on a set of "Traction bars" that will prevent spring wind up.

9. squirrel

squirrel

hi, welcome!

What kind of "panel wagon" is it? Is that like a Sedan Delivery (built from a car) or a "Panel Truck" (built from a truck)? and just out of curiosity, is it a chevy, ford, Dodge, studebaker, or what?

Either way...I've run stock 1-3/4" and stock 2" springs with bigger engines than that.

There are other considerations. are you planning to lower it? or raise it?

My 57 Suburban (same basic thing as a 57 Chevy Panel Truck) has stock leaf springs in back, it rides really nice.

10. Brushy Bill

Brushy Bill

Its a 1952 Chevy Panel Truck, not the sedan delivery, I plan on running stock height, not going to lower it at all, Thanks John.....any more questions you want answered squirrel?

11. squirrel

squirrel

That helps! The stock springs should be ok. You will want to rebuild them, what I do is take them apart, sandblast, and paint, them, and install new bushings and shackles.

Be careful about where you mount the rear axle on the springs. Take your time, figuring out exactly where you want the tire to sit in the fender. they start out kind of forward, but that's because the shape of the fender is not really a circle--the bottom edges are swept back a little. I like to center the tire on the top of the wheel opening, it looks more natural that way, than if you center it on the bottom of the opening.

Hard to explain...but if you stare at it for a while you might see what I'm talking about. Look at pictures of 47-55 chevy pickups.

12. Brushy Bill

Brushy Bill

Yeah, they are tore apart now. Sandblasting shall commence this weekend and they will be rebuilt along with every other damn thing on this rusty beast.....thanks for the input and once I figure out how to get my damn pictures up on here I will post some......