Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Battery Terminals

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Feb 13, 2015.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Are the terminals in the bottom center designed to be soldered on? If so any particular type of solder? Or do they need to be brass to be soldered? Tired of the bolt up ones.

[​IMG]

2. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

You need propane or acetylene touch and acid core solder, that's it.

3. I wouldn't use any of the pictured terminals..... except maybe one. Spend a few bucks more and get cables with factory-installed ends or use the brass one with the bolt in the center top row and have ring connectors crimped onto your cables. And never ever use acid-core solder on anything electrical, only rosin core or separate rosin.

4. i think the ones in the middle on the bottom row have a threaded hole in the end to accept a side terminal cable. i have seen them used that way, but can not tell from the photo if that is that style.

5. I think he's right....

6. Bosco1956

Bosco1956
    from Jokelahoma

DITTO!

7. ^^^^This^^^^

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. rfraze

rfraze

Good advice on the solder, but I make custom cables all the time. You CAN buy ends number matched to cable size, so you end up with a tight fit and minimum solder. You can also order solder lugs sized for these cable building jobs. Kind of a no-brainer.
    Why the hesitation on doing this? Yes, I could have mentioned staking the ends, but that is elective IMHO.

9. I make my own cables. Local electric shop has correct ends. I stake them and fill with solder. Never had a cable problem.

10. Using solder in high-current applications isn't a good idea IMO. Put some heat into the cable/joint (particularly if the cable is a bit small) and it can soften, and at a lower temp than you might think; try using solder as filler metal under powder coating if you don't believe me...

Soldered joints done in the field (on the job) have been illegal in the electrical industry for over 50 years because of this except for limited low-current electronic uses.

11. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Thanks for the input fellas. Of the 20 or so cars, trucks and farm implements I have probably half of them have at least one of those two bolt clamp replacement terminals (upper left in photo, and yes some by me) added over the years. In the winter is when they give problems and it's time I dealt with it.

I think you are right 33and3, the ones I asked about are conversion terminals. I do like Crazy's idea of using ring connectors.

12. smoked1

smoked1

crimp.jpg Here's what you need to do the proper job minus the soldering gun or torch. R Linde ( and solder if needed.)

13. For sure the ones you asked about are top post to side post conversions.
    The clamp style are usually are ok if you flip the strap over to get more bite into the cable.
    Hers some crimp & or Solder style. The crimper is a monster

image.jpg

These are pretty trick, compression style. Very clean look and shrink wrap goes right over them with smooth transition.
    image.jpg
    These can really help with routing sometimes.
    image.jpg

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  14. Those compression types are pretty spiffy.... who sells those?

15. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

They make pellets that I like. You drop the pellet into the end fitting, heat it up to melt it and shove the wire in.

16. stimpy

stimpy

way
    way-tec or terminal supply

17. If you google "compression battery terminal" you'll find a few manufactures and a bunch of suppliers.
    They ain't cheap, but good things usually aren't.

18. I like using this type. A crimp on lug to a marine post terminal works great (just use a nut instead of the wingnut it comes with). I have the screw type terminals at work but haven't used them.

19. Moby

Moby
    Member Emeritus

My batteries are always mounted in the back and I'm a bit of a neat freak when it comes to wiring/plumbing so -

- I go to a tractor dealer
    - tell him the lengths (allowing a little extra) and gauge I want
    - he crimps the frame terminal of the negative cable and the starter terminal of the positive cable
    - I route the cables exactly where I want them and clamp them in place
    - I cut each to the exact length, slide the terminals on and mark them (rotationally)
    - after he crimps the battery ends I end up with good looking heavy cables that fit perfectly

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  20. rfraze

rfraze

That's the way to do it!!

21. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Thanks, I'm considering trying these, with shrink tubing it should keep the moisture out. Or maybe some of that liquid plastic coating. Anyone have anything to say about that stuff?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use the compression type and compress with an old overhead line press vs. the indent method then shrinkwrap--never have had an issue.