Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What are the common problems with '47-'54 Chevy/GMC trucks? What's it worth?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Model A Fan, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Model A Fan

Model A Fan

So, I am going to check out a 1951 GMC pickup tomorrow and was hoping to hear from people who own/have owned these trucks as to what the common problems are. The guy I've been talking to said that the problems are as quoted from the guy selling it:

He also sent me some photos of the truck. They seem to look nice, but I always underestimate the amount of work my projects will need (hence my throwing in the towel thread). This one runs and drives, stops and supposedly runs well. So, I decided I am going to check it out, I just need to get some info on what to be wary of when considering something like this.

I know that they can turn into full-blown restorations, but what I want is something that I can drive around in, have fun and have that "farm truck patina" look to it.

What would one expect to pay for this based on the info and photos?

Evidently, the owner stripped the second coat of paint off and revealed the original color under the green. It looks like parts have rust down to the metal and no paint is left on the fenders in parts. I don't have any info or photos of any potential rust through either, so I will be sure to take photos of it when I check it out tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Model A Fan

Model A Fan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What would one feasibly expect to pay for a truck that is in this condition, barring any significant rust/damage to the body or frame? It probably needs electrics too...

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. TRod

TRod

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

If those pictures are all the same truck, one thing that folks sometimes do is to swap in a chevy engine to replace the GMC engine, so be sure to check for that.

volvobrynk likes this.

5. Looks like a decent truck. If those pictures are all of the same truck and taken at the same general time it shows you how pictures can be decieving. The first picture in your second post looks like a restored driver. Rust is the big issue and you have to crawl around it to judge if its too much or not. Make a list of what you are going to need and pull up a LMC catalog to see how much it is going to cost. You can pretty much build an entire truck from parts out of their inventory. Hope it works out

6. truck 002.jpg truck 004.jpg

This is the condition of mine when I bought it at just under $10,000. I did some motor work, brakes and moved the rear back. I have had it about 6 years.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. wvenfield

wvenfield

Looks like same truck just with pics taking at different times. It has a white grill in some pics and green in others. What to look for depends on price IMO.

At under $2500, I'd just look for a gas station to fill it up to get it home.

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. Any old pre 50's pickup that runs,drives, and has minimal problems with patina like that (and a clear title) will be worth above 5K it seems. Pickups are really popular right now, especially old weathered ones.

What is he asking for it?

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. And the three on the tree is a huge bonus!

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

A lot of the cost depends on what YOU can do to make the truck a safe and dependable. If you can do your own brake work (if your going to use the stock brake set up that means master cylinder, brake lines,cylinders, shoes etc.). Your own engine work, clutch etc. How about your own body work? As for the cost of the truck, probably under $5,000. If you can't do a lot of your own work, then $10,000 or more for a good driver. On the other hand, there is no better vehicle to LEARN with. EVERY thing you could ever need is available (maybe a little harder for GMC front sheet metal but the ones in the pictures looks pretty solid). Personally, I'd go for it. BILL RINALDI

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. aaggie

aaggie

There are a lot of those old AD trucks around in Texas and they can go from $1-5K depending on condition. Just about any part or patch panel is available so you can bring it back to showroom if you want. The cab corners are the first places to rust out followed by the cab mounts to the frame. I drove a lot of miles in them as a Kid and can still hear the "thunk" of the clutch pedal when it returns.

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. Wiring is a problem in these old trucks, if it is 6volt still that is OK as long as everything is up to par, did I mention that wiring is a problem in these old trucks. If it has the GMC 6 that is preferable as someone has mentioned, but you want to know what you are buying, so make friends with one of the inline 6 guys. Obviously a full flow oiling system and insert rods are a plus.

The rust mentioned are common, he didn't mention the rust issues that you are going to have if you don't get some paint on it, but that is on you I suppose. You and I sleep, my dog even sleeps if only in fits, rust never sleeps, it goes back to my theory that the earth wants what has been taken from it and it is already working on getting that truck back.

You want to make sure that you get the bed wood in it and secure the bed. I have seen more then my share of those old trucks with the bad half falling off.

Fuel lines are a problem on any old vehicle, any place that was rubber is suspect.

if indeed it is a farm truck carry extra fuel filters and put a can of Heat in it first thing. Farm trucks have a tendency to have water in the fuel and often have trash in the fuel and well.

Oh the heater and defroster blowers can be a problem with these old trucks, uh did I mention wiring yet? They often have a problem with the wiring. rats, rats rats!!!!!!

Watch for bullets in the floor boards, do not take a torch to the floor boards without first taking a shop vac to it. No it is none of your business how I know.

Cooling system, sometimes ( more often then not) these old trucks have had the radiator filled with branch water and pepper added to repair a leak. Flush it fill it with water and run it and look for leaks in the heater core, the hoses and the radiator. No leaks?, fill with anti-freeze and move on.

While on the subject I have changed a lot of water pumps on theses old GMCs again it goes back to branch water for coolant.

All that said they are good trucks. I have no idea of value I have seen them allover the board price wise, $900.00 to $10,000.00 so I can't really help you there.

Chrisbcritter and volvobrynk like this.
  13. Model A Fan

Model A Fan

I will report back with what I discover. The guy is over an hour away, so it is a little bit of a drive. Thank you for all of the help and advice. I may come back home needing the clear a spot next to my driveway! My neighbor's bush is growing on my side.

To clarify, all the photos are of the same truck. Just at different stages of teardown and paint being stripped off of it.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  14. A may have sounded a little negative didn't mean it that way just lending what I have run onto over the years with these old chebbys.

neat looking old GMC. Good luck to you on the buy.

15. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I like them old Jimmy's, engine is normally strong, transmission is stout and rear is good.
    Sheet metal is the part of that truck that shears you the most, could look good and be bad. Can look bad and be worth.
    Frames are honest, if it looks fair it's fair.

Jimmy's are despite looks, not a Chevy, a lot of all the small things are different, but it's a truck and everything is adaptable!
    This is not good, this is not bad, it's a fact!

But truck are build stout for a reason, they drive well, but sees more beating in a life time then Cher ever got. And mostly last a small eternity despite, so check [bold/]everything[/bold].
    Take no picture for an answer, see/feel/smell/try/drive!
    Walk away if you feel doubt!!

16. Just make sure and check the cab area behind the front wheels. Otherwords the bottoms of the front cowl. They trapped mud in this area and it is a lot of work to replace as you have both inter and outer skins, plus the piece between.

17. I paid $300 for mine but all I kept was the cab, hood and frame, and I still had to patch the cowl and the corners and floor, but I was going to cut it up.
    Cab corners aren't too bad to replace, if you pull the box off, and the cab mounts are little more putzy. But you can buy every part for these trucks now, even a new cab with doors, so its about what is the end game for the truck and how much you want to spend. I bought a new bed assy for $1200.00 shipped -made in USA , made my own bed wood etc.
    I would buy it then set aside money to fix the bad/wrong stuff and enjoy it while fixing it up.

18. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Pork,
    not to be negative but why is wiring a problem with those trucks? I have one and I bought a wiring kit for $200 and converted to 12 volt. The electrical system on these trucks are simple and as with any old car, the electrical system deteriorates over time. But again, it's a easy fix.
    peace

19. Scott67

Scott67
    from NJ

[​IMG]
    I paid 5 grand for this one with a low milaege 235 rebuilt 3 speed and rear. Also had 12 volt and power brake conversion, rebuilt stock front end. Good tires etc. Paint and body work are pretty crappy. Lots of homemade patches. Also take into account that this is Jersey where everything is over priced.

20. Scott67

Scott67
    from NJ

[​IMG]
    This was taken later that same day after washing 10 years of dirt of. I hope this helps,you make your decision

21. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Even if I never own an AD pickup, that's one piece of advice I don't think I'll ever forget.:confused:

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. wvenfield

wvenfield

That doesn't look hateful for $5k.

23. Model A Fan

Model A Fan

Well now you're making me pretty jealous :D That is a very nice looking truck, and I doubt I'd find anything like that around here for anywhere near that "cheap". $5,000 is a steal for one in that condition. All I see are others' cast off projects where they sink in too far and want to get dollar for dollar out of it what they put into it.

24. Model A Fan

Model A Fan

So, I went and viewed the truck in person. I will be honest and say that there is a bit of rust, but after looking, it appears that you can get a patch panel for every part of rusty sheet metal.

There appears to be rust through in multiple locations. Those locations being driver's side cab corner, passenger side floor, passenger side floor-cowl portion (below the glove box but where the floor slants to the firewall), on driver's and passenger's side (hard to describe) wall below the dash where there is a part attached under the fender that catches mud.

I will let the photos speak for themselves. The guy selling it is really easy going and gave me three days to think on it and get back to him by Friday. He's asking $4,000 Canadian, which works out to be roughly $3,100. I was thinking I'd offer him about $3,800 as someone offered and he turned down $3,600.

Without further ado, here are the pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Model A Fan

Model A Fan

More pics:

Looking from passenger side behind the seat along the floor between the seat and gas tank (which sits behind the seat! YIPES!)

[​IMG]

Passenger side cab corner is quite solid and nice.

[​IMG]

Top of gas tank. You can see the sending unit sitting on top with the cloth loomed wiring...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Passenger floor looking down (as if you are sitting on the seat). The perforation is through the floor, so it would have to be replaced. Evidently the battery box survived OK.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DOORS: The bottom 1"-1.5" is rusted through, however, the door skin seems to be fine. It is just interior rust.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. Model A Fan

Model A Fan

[​IMG]

The truck had a radio that was placed through the enlarged hole:

[​IMG]

"Custom" glovebox:

[​IMG]

Passenger side rust from the mud and water getting stuck up in there:

[​IMG]

More of the same:

[​IMG]

Driver side cowl corner opening into the engine bay. Rusted corner due to mud buildup.

[​IMG]

Driver's fender rust:

[​IMG]

Passenger cowl rust:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How it looked when I got there:

[​IMG]

27. Model A Fan

Model A Fan

Driver's cab corner rust:

[​IMG]

Under the seat was quite solid with only surface rust!

[​IMG]

28. It's probably an ok price, but.. That's a bit of rust- that I personally wouldn't enjoy fixing. It has a Chevy engine rather than the more desirable GMC engine. Back east it would be advertised as "nearly rust free". I live in the desert not all that far away. I bought my 51 GMC for 1100 and it only needs 1 cab corner to be patched. There are more desert trucks if you aren't keen on patching the damage from those rust mites. Having said that I wouldn't make fun of you for getting it. They are cool trucks.

29. Model A Fan

Model A Fan

Yeah, evidently the Canadian GMC trucks (according to this guy and his Dad) came with Chevrolet engines instead of GMC. I don't know how accurate that is, but its what he said. The truck comes with extra parts (all the bed wood, cab corner, bed rails too).

30. just Mike

just Mike

Hi neighbor, I live about a mile north of the border from you. The canadian GMC pickups came with chevy motors and from the pictures I,d bet that is a 216. That truck has a LOT of rust and would be a big project, I just sold a clean roadworthy 3/4 ton flat deck for $3500, I bought it in east WA for $1700 , so I would call his $3600 offer BS.I wouldn't pay any more than $2000 for that truck.JMO.There is a lot of cheap rust free trucks in east WA, good luck.

Cosmo49 likes this.