Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Any one take a model A 5 window into a hardtop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bob Montgomery, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Bob Montgomery

Bob Montgomery

Any one ever hear of taking a model A 5 window and making a hard top out of it, this would get rid of the blind spot, make the small window a roll up, car would look like a 3 window with the windows down. What do you think??

2. what about the door tops? you could cut the tops off but getting rid of the window would mess up the proportions. unless the front of the quarter window rolled into the body also. a photoshop would let you know how it would look.

3. Never seen it done with a model A but I am aware that Ford did a prototype in 1931. HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  4. daddylama

daddylama

there was an A show car, done (I think) in the 50s that had no B pillar. no door or quarter windows at all from the appearance... seem to think the door tops were just attached to the roof.

I've only seen one pic of it, from an old magazine... someone posted it here on the HAMB some years back.

5. Of course try photo shop first.

Then try to figure out how to work the details out, the windshield posts, the added window mechanism with 1 less hinge, the roof to door top, the lack of solid B pillar, 1/4window details.

6. There's a Sedan that I see around that somebody hardtopped. It's a Streetrod but it sure made me look twice when I saw it. I'll try to find a pic, I know I took one (or more)

7. 5window

5window

Well, there's can you do it and should you do it. There's a metalsmith out there somewhere that could do anything. But, the Model A is such a classic design I am not sure why you would. In addition, I'd be concerned that there would be significant structural compromise.

Hnstray, lothiandon1940 and 49ratfink like this.
  8. Bob Montgomery

Bob Montgomery

9. Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

10. Bob Montgomery

Bob Montgomery

Door tops! dam forgot about that, what a dummy that's a whole new ball game might have to add a wing window not sure how that would look, I will try the photo shop trick

11. Wing windows look and work pretty well

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To me it would look a bit off with the short doors and long window on that body and hardtopped but a guy might think about stretching the doors and turning it into a three window complete with door tops.
    That might be a challenge for the photoshoppers to do up and make look like it started out that way. To me that would look a lot more "right" than hardtopping it and ending up looking like a bad example of a 60's show rod.

Hnstray likes this.
  13. I fly out to Kansas on Sunday if no one has helped you out with a Photoshop. Ill do a few up to get an idea, not like I will have anything better to do than have a drink and play with old cars on the computer!

14. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

You can look at the one in post #9 and see how much is required to do it and not look screwy. It's not easy. lots of guys have thought of it. Few can pull it off.

15. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I think it's a bad idea.. Don't mess with an already good looking top...

Hnstray and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. Wasn't there a '32 four door converted to hardtop recently. Seems like it was middle of last year I saw it in a mag. No B pillar above the beltline!! Danny: I'd never seen that A 3wndw before. I bet there will be a few of them built now!

17. willymakeit

willymakeit

The picture looks to me like the visor has been eliminated also. Nice looking car.

18. racemad55

racemad55

check out the rollingbones latest build.

19. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

There have been several threads on this - but mostly for 3 window versus hard top versions. I'm intriqued about the hardtop, too. In the mean time, check out this place. Gary

http://aaltered.com/

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Ford did offer one with a B pillar that was removeable back in 1917. Bob

[​IMG]

21. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Wouldn't it just be easier to get a 29-31 Chevy coupe? Would end up looking about the same when all's said and done.

Hnstray likes this.
  22. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Something to consider would be the way a lot of coachbuilders did "pillarless" bodies in the day. That had a small (¾"?) overlap between the side windows, with the forward pane obviously outboard. The considerations were probably lack of seal profiles that actually worked, dealing with a retracting pillar, and the appeal of no visible pillar even with the windows raised.

I agree with a Photoshop or drawing first. Some proportional tweaks might be needed to get the best out of the change.

Compare the treatment on this Humber:
    [​IMG]

23. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

1936 Bentley 3½-litre coupé by Gurney Nutting:
    [​IMG]

Similar on a Rolls-Royce 20/25:
    [​IMG]

Note that all these examples have suicide doors. It gives a place to attach the top hinge to the free end of the door window frame.

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG]Ned, was there one designer in the late 1930's that gets credit to this diving rear window design? I saw it on a car in the Nethercutt collection and it really is a nice feature. Bob

25. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Many coachbuilders were playing with the diving line from the early '30s on. I wouldn't be surprised to find some (very rare, and probably highly experimental) examples as early as 1928, though I can't recall anything specific to point to.

I believe that Delage is by Letourneur et Marchand, who were always up for a bit of boldness. The rearmost part of the window cill almost becomes part of the C-pillar, a feature that would appear on numerous coupés in the '50s.

Back to the OP: I think the narrow C-pillar of a 5-window compared to a 3-window would already give it a uniqueness and prevent it looking like a 3-window gone wrong.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  26. I finally found the 1930 Model A 3 window I thought I had lost in my desktop files.
    HRP

[​IMG]

Austinrod, ROCKER77 and Ned Ludd like this.
  27. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Letourneur & Marchand had been exploring the theme since 1932 at least:
    [​IMG]
    Delage D8.

28. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I saw a 32 5w they did it to.... Looked horrible ....if you want a 3w model A hotrodprimer has your example

29. Muttley

Muttley

This guy thinks it will look awesome.............

[​IMG]

Hnstray, X38 and clem like this.