Register now to get rid of these ads!

Newbie with questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by strawdog, Jan 27, 2006.

1. strawdog

strawdog

I'm looking into building a 1932 Ford Pickup, I've always wanted one and now i have the income to get it. The only thing really holding me back is that i dont have the shop like i did in college, so i cant be doing alot of welding. Basically i want it fenderless, and chopped not sure how much but a shop will do the chop. i was thinking 4" but ive yet to see pics of 32's listing the specific chopped amount. First what's the best books to get to read up on frames suspension and body work, parts ext.. I dont want any Mustang II front end or anything in it wasnt around in the 40's i dont want it. Thinking of running a flathead with 3x2's. I like the look when they set real low on the frames i think this is Z'ing the frame, but help me on that one. who makes a good rolling chassis that has all the frame work done so i can already put my cab and mill in it without a lot of extra work. also can a nice 32 be put together for around $7500-8000. I dont want alot of chrome or glit, just a mean looking Rat Rod w/ some flat paint and my be some pinstriping. any help to get me on the right path with be nice, pics would be nice also with what parts have been installed on said pic's thanks
    strawdog

2. Build it yourself in your driveway, that's the way most of us started out. Get out and make friends or work a hustle to borrow shop time. Whatever it takes to do it do it yourself. That's all I got to say about that.

next get your ride, take some good pictures, put a little piece of tape on it first so you can have an accurate gauge to measure from when you have your pictures in hand or on computer. Then chop it up and figure out what it is that you like the best, maybe you dont want to chop it to the max, maybe you want to channel it or section it. Figure it out on paper first.

Now last but not least go to the top of the page and find a place that says new to the HAMB?
    click on that and post an introduction. You know simle stuff. Who you are, why you're here. When and where all the stuff that lets us know that you are for real.

Oh and by the way, Welcome to the HAMB. Use the search function, lurk awhile and see what we are all about. That way you'll know that the information you get is what you want, and you can weed out the crap from the gold.

3. 5window

5window

I haven't done it,so I'm not an expert. I think though,that from a practical standpoint, your expectations are high and your budget is too small. Here's a look you might like, though it's listed as a '33:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1933-FORD-OLD-SCHOOL-HOT-ROD-RAT-ROD-STREET-ROD_W0QQitemZ4606697733QQcategoryZ6221QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Street Rodder has a pretty good overview book on chassis construction.

Specifically,even without a IFS, you're going to spend several grand on a basic chassis. I sold a repro '32 chassis with a tube axle last year for $3700, and lost a bit on the deal. I don't think you'll find a tri-power flathead for anything less than several thousand dollars-and the flathead guys are probably laughing themselves silly at that statement- and a '32 body will likely set you back beyond what your stated budget is.

Still, it's worth starting to plan and always have a dream. A Model A pick-up with a SBC would be a lot less to start with. And as porknbeaner said. look around,post an intro and welcome to the HAMB.

4. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

it's possible- but you gotta doa LOT of the work, doubt you could afford to have a shop do the chop on that budget. It was hard for my brother and I to build a complete T for $6500 using a lot of junkyard and homemade parts. Have you considered an A pickup with a deuce grille? Cheaper initial buy-in and tons of cheap parts available

5. Paul

Paul
    Editor

'32s are cool
    but the '33 and '34 pickups look damn similar to me
    might help keep within the 7 or 8k budget with one of them.

which books?
    all of them,
    anything that has even one picture of what you have in mind.

and this place
    the HAMB is probably the best source for answers to all your questions

6. strawdog

strawdog

Well, ya I'll get on that new guy section, but thanks for the quick get back. I have 5-6 V-8 flatheads in a barn back home in kansas, but still looking for a 32 cab, bed ext... will look into the 33-34 also thanks, the chop on with a pic makes sence i should have thought about that

7. Welcome to the HAMB!
    Building a '32 for that budget will be just about impossible, especially if you don't have the facilities. But you could buy someone else's unfinished project for pennys on the dollar.

Get yourself a copy of Mike Bishop and Vern Tardel's book, "How to build a Traditional Ford Hot Rod" and memorize it.

If you go the store-bought chassis route, Alan Thorton at Flatlanders Hotrods, in Norfolk, (www.flatlandershotrods.com) builds really nice, reasonably priced traditional chassis for '28-'34 Fords. Check out his website, then go visit him.

Hope this helps.

8. Find somebody that has built his own, anywhere from a 'T' up to '34 or so. Get a frame, they're cheap, in the rough. Find the techs on building a frame and work on that. Don't let anybody sell you on IFS or any of that, when you're done, you'll be sorry. The conventional buggy spring setup will always work, no matter what motor you decide on. If you don't want it real low, personally, just remember that the ones that don't have Z'd frame are just as bitchin' as the ones that do, including chopping or channeling, it's all a matter of preference. When you get the chassis ready for a motor, then it's time for a body, you can channel any body to fit almost any frame, '32 or later frames are stronger than earlier. I have a 31 Chevy chassis I'm going to use, convert it to ford buggy spring setup, narrow it a bit, add an X-member, put spring perches on the chevvy front axle. Of course, any 'rod I build will have fenders...........
    Save the money to buy stuff, not pay somebody else. Get a Mack's Model A catalog and go to that for chassis parts before you go buy from the street rod suppliers. Find the instructions on how to drop an axle yourself, before buying a new one from somebody else. You need a point of reference, but the suggestion in another post is good advice; find somebody elses project that they've tired of, plan to re-do a lot of the work, but half-finished projects you can buy for pennies on the dollar, like he said.....Do the work yourself under a tree and when you're done, you'll be a lot prouder, and you'll have what you want, for less than $3500, minus motor of course. A motor? Just hide and watch. Hold out for a real prize, it'll come along. A flat-head of any breed, whether it's a caddy, ford, packard, dodge, 6, 8, or 4-banger, would be my choice.

9. strawdog

strawdog

Thanks B29chevy, some good advice their, Right now im doing more research then anything ive done a couple cars were i just started unbolting stuff with now plan or layout, but i got smarter. Ya, i dont want any of that IFS, just a simple plane jane frame and suspension (Buggy). I'm still learning all the lingo channeled, sectioned ext... but im hoping to start with a frame and a mill next summer, Ya i would like to find a mid project but the only couple ive found one was a roadster adn the other one was already going in anouther direction, but i will keep my eyes open, I'm from kansas and i know were alot of field queens are but they may be to far gone. I figure if i can find a good cab a been and grill wont be to hard to find, but i guess i will hit the books and start making notes on paper, oh what was the biggest cubic inch flathead i only want about 175-180HP I have a couple in my barn but no idea what size ext.. anyway happy rodding thanks
    Strawdog

10. GO-rilla

GO-rilla

Are you stationed in Oceana? There is a nice rod shop in downtown Norfolk, they are in the book, check them out.
    Gabe

11. Mad-Lad

Mad-Lad
    from California

Its going to be real tough to build a decent hot rod under 10 G's. I didnt think so cause I was young and stupid when I got my car (still young and little less stupid) but I have realized that the runs to pick up the 25 cent bolts at the local hard ware store add up QUICK. And running a flat head isnt the cheapest way to do things either. Hell I thought I was just going to re-ring my motor and run it...WRONG, ended up spending over 6 large on a GOOD rebuild and balance job.....As for any books that may help you out, I think some one else already mentioned Vern Tardels, How To Build a Tradtional Ford Hot Rod. And my favorite flat head book is Frank Oddo's and Fisher Books, FORD FLATHEAD V-8 Builder's Hand Book 1932-1953. Its a great book and has really helped me out along the way.

Good luck on the search and build. Make sure to keep us posted and post some pictures

12. m.ralph

m.ralph

I'm with buschandbusch, I think you would be able to get a Model A (30/31) pickup in your price range, not likely with a 32 Ford. There is a big difference in price range between them. And a Model A with a flathead is cool. Here is a photo of my last Model A not a pickup , that I built chopped without a flathead.

20190430_153233 - Copy.jpg 20190430_153428.jpg

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  13. He asked this question 15 yrs ago. Bet he's figured it out by now...

14. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

You had me until r*t r*d

15. nochop

nochop
    from norcal