Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Truck into a coupe- My next pet project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Dec 9, 2013.

1. It really is a movie

2. 31,
    The surgeon just called us and said the cyst came away cleanly. We're just waiting for them to close and get him into recovery.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  3. speed v8

speed v8

Awesome project!

4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That's good news. Hopefully the cyst was benign and all will be well with his recovery.
    As a brain surgery survivor I know where he is and what he is in for.
    Prayers will be forthcoming.
    Larry.

5. CB that's great news.
    Thanks for the update & we will keep praying over here

6. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Chief, wonderful news and your family will remain in our prayers.

7. How's your boy chief?

I wish I had more of an update and distraction.
    These aren't even done but man alive this is some of the thinnest metal I've seen. Like razor blades around the corners and on the stretches. A little arc and it vaporizes so getting the pieces and joints perfect is really important and that takes time.

image.jpg image.jpg

oliver westlund and VANDENPLAS like this.
  8. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

That looks thin. Perfect candidate for a tig with a pulse.

9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I'm a Tig welder, and I have a pulse :D:D But I live too far away ;)

Dick Stevens likes this.
  10. Lmao !!

Yeah, I'm thinking about it.
    I've got an old miller that's 1/2 the size of a volkswagon and twice as loud.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  11. Thanks !

12. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

Finally made it through the whole thread. Very impressive. I can't help but wonder what the original builder thinks of all of this. You have been surprisingly kind to someone who sold you a car built of black pipe and bondo. Very cool project.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  13. Thank you!

What could I say that would help or change anything?
    What could I say to someone that isn't already known by them?
    Does it matter what they or anyone else thinks after the fact, if they "thought" on a regular and consistent basis then this wouldn't be in the first place would it?

lewk likes this.
  14. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I've been slowly playing (tig vs. mig) with some cracked fenders that are also very thin. I'm a lousy welder. The tig (Miller 180 SD) has been blowing holes through just on the start, however I just reread the manual that there is an adjustment for start current that I need to try lowering. The mig is nice because you can get some filler in quickly before things get real hot. It's also bad because you can get a lot of filler in before things get real hot. Also just found a piece of copper to try backing up some areas while welding, looking forward to trying that.

Can't offer any advice, just trying glean some wherever I can. Carry on.

15. The copper back up works extremely well if you can get it where it needs to go. Make it fit tight, and clamp it tight and you'll be so happy.

These damn things, well there's just no way to get any back up in there. Pretty soon the casing of the hole game starts. Hopefully I'll catch the hole before I get to the rockers :)

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Welders like chasing holes in the dark ;) :D:D:D Good luck with it.

VANDENPLAS and tb33anda3rd like this.
  17. A long time ago I was chasing holes in the dark.
    The barmaid said "sorry but we don't serve minors"
    I said "great because I'm not a miner I'm a welder"

18. SimonSez

SimonSez

You should definitely try that - my TIG also has a setting to slowly ramp up the current when you start welding and I found it really helpful when welding thin sheet metal (as I don't have a foot control on mine).

19. Inspiring work.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  20. I wish somebody would get something done here

21. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I agree.....where can we find somebody to do that? :rolleyes:o_O:eek::oops::D:confused:

22. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

LOL. I would say working on new areas of the car sometimes helps get you inspired again, but you're about out of new areas to dive into.

23. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I occasionally get something done :D

24. 1954ROYAL

1954ROYAL
    from Georgia

The level of true craftsmanship in this place leaves me in awe. I have just recently "at 40" started doing metal replacement on a small scale. The level that you guys do it is just amazing. I have learned that its steel, it can be beat, heated, shaped and cut off and redone so just try it. Seeing work like this makes me want to keep it up. Thanks for the inspiration and keep up the awesome work.

25. Gotta do this, but I wanna do that.
    image.jpg image.jpg
    image.jpg image.jpg

I find greater peace in observing the done pile than studying the to do list.

Idk but if you find one send them my way.
    I keep wishing on the "hot rod fairies" to come in the night and finish it, but all I get is them garage gnomes that mess everything up and hide my tools. Really pisses me off when they hide my coffee cup!

Thanks Royal and you're welcome.

Every big piece or large scale project is just a composition of smaller ones, you just keep at and don't be worried about making mistakes, they are not. What they are is results, although you may have not have gotten the result you wanted this time, it's still good.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  26. i don't think it is politically correct to refer to them as fairies any more.:D

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  27. I am laughing my ass off funny stuff!

28. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I seem to get them in my garage too.

I really don't give a crap about politically correctness.
    I think I get a cross between the fairies and the gnomes and they are nasty little bastards. :(

I cleaned up my little shop and there are not a huge number of places to put things, but the little shitheads have hidden a small flat round plastic container of needed bolts.
    I remember seeing them during the cleanup, and I must have spent an hour or more looking for them before I gave up and went to the bolt supply for more :mad:

29. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Them bastards know where your garage is, too? They spend so much time in mine, I didn't think they would have time to screw with anyone else. :rolleyes:o_O

Blue One likes this.