Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2015 AMBR contenders are up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimmy B, Jan 21, 2015.

1. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Who's going to win the trophy?

2. Ebert

Ebert

3. Jibs

Jibs

I would vote for the one that I would buy, and the only one I would buy is Larry Christensen's 32. Seems like I like almost everything that Pinkees builds. Jibs

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. frdsuperduty

frdsuperduty
    from Lewes De

My vote is for Ross Myers 36.You may remember Ross as the owner of the First Love 36 ford coupe that won the Riddler a few years back.That car was built by Rad Rides by Troy.I like that he chose a less well known builder ala George Poteet to do this car.Although this car is much more subdued than First Love it still has lots of detail to draw you in.I hope to see it in person at some point.That being said there are in my view at least three cars that could win.

5. wbsrodshop

wbsrodshop
    from Mo, Sweden

My vote is for the 36, built by Ellis, A great guy!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. Melk_Impala

Melk_Impala

Naturally I'll chime in and say that the black 36 gets my vote as well, but my father built it, so I am a tad biased. It contains a subtle aesthetic in spite of the radical louvers; I like it more every time I see it. I should also mention that my dad is a drag-racer at heart, and essentially grew up at Cecil County Drag-way, so one probably detects some of that influence in this car. Here is a better photo:
    36-1.jpg

I'm digging the dark green 29 as well.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
    volvobrynk and COUPES like this.
  7. Blown Monte

Blown Monte
    from Delaware

image.jpg Beautiful car.Thumbs up Ellis and I will 2nd the great guy part.

8. Retro61

Retro61

Yep, the Black '36 gets my Vote!

9. autobilly

autobilly

Burt Diehl, Mesa, Arizona.
    Builder: Charly’s Garage, Mesa
    1926/27 T Roadster

sko_ford likes this.
  10. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Must be bad pictures....the 29 looks ugly as fuck to me.

11. The only traditional car in the running....

Attached Files:

slowmotion and WiredSpider like this.
  12. So who won ?

13. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

I like the one with the Halibrand wheels. Geez do all these guys stop into the same watering hole after work, or did I just not get the memo.

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. TomH

TomH

Yeah..........was he said.

15. Alloway built, stretched '33.

16. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Who cares? The contenders this year were not that great.

17. wkends

wkends
    from Kentucky

Alloway built 33 won AMBR.

18. AMBR 2015 Larry Olson's Alloway-built '33

19. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Little hemi and a straight axle.....could have been something worse.

20. fatkoop

fatkoop

Here in the Denver area, we have a Super Golden Cruise once a month in the good weather. Christensen has more than once been there with his Deuce. Driving around, cruising, just having fun. How many of the other AMBR contenders do you think actually drive those cars more than in and out of a garage or trailer?

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. autobilly

autobilly

Not to mention, painted black with flames.

JimSibley likes this.
  22. fortynut

fortynut

Being that this is a traditional site with that proven aesthetic to judge all else; I read comments on here that often remind me of what was said in the locker room in a military school where I played pee wee football. Not only are they juvenile, but tinged with the kind of ignorance that Ryan fights against when people either don't know, or don't give a shit about the fine line that separates heritage from the kind of ignorance that passes for entertainment and information in the modern mainstream media. We should be better at seeing and describing the AMBR contenders based on education into what is part of our past, and the kind of show it is. After the first winner it has almost all been downhill if you're looking for anything that reflects the 'real' world. Those who judge these shows have their own criteria that does not correspond to ours, unfortunately; and even though 'show' cars have a tradition, they are like the girls who skate in roller derbies. While they look good and are full of Wheaties something is missing that makes you want to really love them in any normal way you would love other women. I call this the 'x' factor. Very few cars that compete for trophies are built to really drive; they look the same way movie stars do in the movies, being carefully crafted exaggerations that are bigger than life. Yet they miss the 'x' factor, having in the end a kind of lifelessness about them that speaks of doing things for the judges, rather than for the cars, driver, or owner when the builders begin the long road from vague dream to the hard cold reality of getting the glory and fame of being a winner. When it is about winning a beauty contest, bigger, flashier, brighter, more chrome and more everything ends up with exaggerations of the basic premise of a hot rod roadster. That is why they always leave something to be desired to those of us who only think in terms of being behind the wheel of our own dream: a traditional car that can be driven like the Devil himself was after us, and still work like a watch afterwards, even without having nightmares about the condition of the paint because of the detour we took to avoid the zombie crossing.

23. Boatmark

Boatmark

First, congratulations to Messer's Olson and Alloway, and the team of craftsman who built the winning car.

After looking at all the cars (in photos), from purely what grabbed me - one or two were there, several more seemed to interchange with any recent year, and quite frankly several I just didn't understand. When looking at this type of thing I try not to get tied up in the HAMB style criteria - my own tastes run to the traditional, but I appreciate fine craftsmanship, and good design, in whatever form it takes. But even acknowledging that, and after looking through all the assorted GNRS threads, for me the three cars that really reached out and grabbed me this year - were all coupes. Two new builds, and one restoration of an Icon. But everyone is grabbed by something different.

24. happilyretired

happilyretired

The Dale Fode roadster was the very best this year, handbuilt everything and a superb stance, sound, etc.

25. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Congratulations to one of our own, HAMBer (GOATROPER02) Tony Lombardi over at Ross Racing Engines, for building 'Most Outstanding Engine' at the Grand National Roadster show.

His attention to detail is amazing and despite some of the comments I have seen on HAMB about trophy cars not being drivers this engine can be driven, and hard.

engine.png

Hotdoggin DaddyO likes this.
  26. JimSibley

JimSibley

That engine is amazing!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!