Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Truck into a coupe- My next pet project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Dec 9, 2013.

1. brady1929

brady1929

I say do it and forget about the nay Sayers. With your skill, you can do anything.

2. Very simple trans hump out of steel first.
    Then probably out of clear polycarbonate .
    This probably a form for the plastic but I might just weld this in too.
    image.jpg
    Some careful and creative measuring gets a layout.
    image.jpg hand hammered bends on the table over round stock.
    Went thru bead roller before bending.
    Thinking like plastic:)
    image.jpg
    Body back non for some more measuring
    image.jpg
    Took 3 templets to get the correct size,
    First pass Tipped on the red line
    image.jpg
    Finish tipped and then the edge thru the stretcher to match thenarch bead in firewall. Just a little bit of table and hammer work but plastic should move the same and lay down nice.

This could have been made in 1 piece of steel but that would be a mind fuck for a while. Now since it's here & templated - no problem to make that out of one piece of plastic. :)

image.jpg

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  3. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. Thanks, I like them too

5. Update already! I'm dying here!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. I'm trying.
    You can come help If that will make it easier for ya.

What would you like to see?
    I've been researching some different front wheel stuff that will probably be very cool.

7. I'm wondering what you came up with on the rear windows. The motor mount / steering looks really clean. I'd much prefer helping you as opposed to waiting for my son to have brain surgery in a few days.

8. Oh geez no !
    I'll be praying for you & your son .

Rear windows are "CLASSIFIED" :)

In the mean time here's something fun to look at. Hard to see the coupe in the dump truck
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  9. Thanks for the prayers. We can surely use them.

10. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Chief, your family will be in my prayers too.

11. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I noticed the photos above in the truck thread, remembered the title of this thread, and I think I've got it now! Was there an explanation of the roots of your car somewhere that I missed 'tween all the tranny cases, Hemis, headers and sheet metal flying around?

Anyway, that's the color you came up with in the rattle bomb experiment no? Looks really good. Really, really good. That's just photoshop paint though right?

Is the roof finished and windshield in? I did my own quick photochop raking the roof a bit (inch out of windshield posts) which I think looks good. But you're probably past that anyway.

12. You just now get it ? Lol
    Yes that the color from the experiment and and photoshopped.

So where's your photo shop?

13. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

First time I've seen the dump truck photo, and if there is any between that and the red coupe photos in the first few pages I missed them along with any verbage.

Didn't want to mess up your thread with my messing around, but since you asked. You can see the angle change in the slice above the car. Still up on my program if you want see any other options but you probably have the same capability. My thought was, in the red photo, that it needed to look 'tougher', but in the photo above in bare metal it looks to have more rake and looks plenty tough as is.

Attached Files:

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  14. It Just a random 36 ford truck cab.
    They are all the same so ones as good as the next. My adventure as chronicled here is as I've walked it. If you followed you didn't miss anything.

15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Maybe I'm the only one confused here, I followed along from page one and have never figured out how the truck became a coupe :confused:
    Did I miss a previous thread showing that transformation ?
    Or was it something that someone else built and you acquired ?
    Larry.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  16. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

It was a truck cab , looks to be a 34 4dr turret section and maybe some Chevy coupe quarter pannels and bondo... Lots and lots of bondo.... Oh ... And some black pipe in a rocker pannel ..if I'm not mistaken? I think that about covers what it was... Besides being a big headache and learning process for this poor guy...

VANDENPLAS and tb33anda3rd like this.
  17. LMFAO !
    Thirtytwo has got you covered Larry.

Its a long story but

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  18. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

BUT..... technically I think it started as "hold my beer ... Look at this polished turbo 400".... Then went down hill to black pipe and bondo.... Now we are chugging up to the light at the tunnel with some new found metal shaping skills ....

19. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

It definitely went down hill and continued going down hill, but perseverance and a display of amazing metal skills and some very impressive vision got it to where it currently sits. ;):cool::):p

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  20. I'm sure I went over this but since I like you Larry, I'll run thru the whole story.

"Once upon a time" , is how it starts and I believed it's was going to end with "Happily ever after" about 4 months from the 1st post of this thread. Ready ?

About 15 years ago i started doodling Truck/coupe hybrids. Some of my doodles were sort of like Aussie utes and some doodles were more along the lines of regular coupes. I have no photo shop skills so I eventually played with copy machines and scissors. Eventually my thoughts moved to a real hypothetical project that I'd like to do one day. In the back of my mind and on the back burner behind the scenes was a hunt for the right parts.

In my halfassed hunt - a hamber had a 34 5 window coupe rear clip for sale. It was rough but workable and reasonably priced so I bought it. This was many years ago but I thought WOW the truck into a coupe is officially a project now. So I started hunting a suitable cab at a reasonable price and that proved to be unfruitful. After years of searching and looking at high priced junk or really high priced too good to cut cabs it fell to the very back burner. The rear clip just collected dust and was almost forgot about.

Some place around here in this chronological story is when I fired up that 392. It was just on a test stand but man was that fun! There was a bunch of others stuff going on that at the time weren't related to anything about this project.

One day about a year or so after tucking that hemi under back under the bench I was cruising the hamb & another hamber was desperately searching for some 33/34 rear quarters. He was Looking for anything and begging for even just scraps of them as none were around. So I sold him the rear clip. He put it to good use and is making a hell of a coupe from a 4 door, really nice thread to check out.

Just a day or 2 after the clip was shipped off , my Honey and I were hanging out in the shop enjoying a bottle of tequila and the engine hoist. We'd recently been to the races & She started asking about the "engine that was shaking the building" . I said oh that's that 392 hemi under the bench over there. So she starts talking to me about finding something to drop that in. Ok sounds like a good idea to me!!!

So I begin looking around and see lots of half finished stuff. Lots of stuff that's way too much work or finished. The ideas were to get on the road with just a drive train. Then I spotted the red coupe for sale. It was a 36 ford truck cab, 34 chevy rear quarters 34 ford 4dr roof and 1/4 windows. Damn near what I'd been thinking about for 15 years.

Now the best part about this whole deal was that all the body work was finished and it was painted, and a beautiful paint job to boot. All It needed were seats and a drive line. It was sitting a bit goofy on the chassis, the grill was too high and the tires were wrong. This all seemed really easy to correct because I didn't like the chassis that was under it anyway. I figured I could sell that chassis it came with & Not much trouble to build a traditional chassis and drop that body onto it. I could do that in 100% spare time and it would be MY NEXT PET PROJECT. Yeah!!!! That "Happily ever after " was just about 4 short months away. Ok now start at post #1

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  21. Thanks Dick.
    It's been a fucking haul.

22. more than a haul?; page 1-started polishing tranny, started engine, reveled the car, got rid of chassis. got another chassis, kept the rear but drilled axles to fit wheels,
    page 2 new front axle and made hangers
    page 3 , narrow axle, make batwings and mockup rear, mockup front end, cut out firewall, fit engine and finish polishing tranny- find minor body problem. sip some tequila
    page 4 remove floors,finish headers find a couple more minor body flaws. tilt back some tequila
    page 5 make firewall, find a couple more flaws in body, bottle empty run for more
    pages 6-20 remove all traces of paint then , cut away everything from body except the drivers door pin and washer under screw holding rear view mirror, beat, bend, shape, weld, cut, slice, piece 98% of the body back together using an amazing amount of patients and talent not to mention new equipment and a case of tequila.
    pages 20-24 some amazing photoshop work, color choices window delema.
    page 25 revisit steering box mount [needed more to do any way] but was interrupted by friday night ball room dancing lessons and a little more tequila.
    fucking haul is a little understated.

32SEDAN and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.
  23. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

^^^^^^^^WHAT HE SAID^^^^^^^^^

Blue One likes this.
  24. Holy crap ! I almost forgot about some of that stuff.

This is going to take years of therapy to get past isn't it ?

25. cowboyinachair

cowboyinachair
    from colorado

about 3 trips around the block and you will forget the long road to get it done

26. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Thanks for filling me in on what I likely should have known :)
    I agree, it has been a haul.
    Somewhat like my thread that meanders along through the build of my RPU starting in 2010 and leading through doctors offices and hospitals and all sorts of other stuff. ;)
    I thank you and have to say that I like you too.

That's what makes the Hamb great, friends without having met in person.
    Sharing a passion or obsession and learning as we go.
    I'll admire the skills you are developing here, and your coupe is going to be a knockout.
    I've learned a lot along the way in my own build.

I'll second that once we get to drive our creations it will all be worth it.
    Larry

27. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Larry, your RPU is no slouch either, you just didn't find the clusterfuck that 31Vicky did under that wonderful red lipstick.

Blue One likes this.
  28. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Yes, that is true. Thank goodness for that.
    It reminds me of a saying that goes like this:
    You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig afterwards :D