Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need some Ford C4 help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.D., Apr 14, 2011.

1. J.D.

J.D.
    from Clovis, CA

The day after I got home from the Round Up I went to accelerate around a car coming off of a stop light. The transmission had a pretty hard down shift then a bang then to no gears. Transmission now just revs like it is in neutral in all gears including reverse. Reverse does have a very slight whine when you rev it up but is very slight. I was told I probably broke my band strut.

Question 1 - Does that sound like my band strut to you

Question 2 - How hard is it to get to it to look and see if that is what broke (looks like it might just be drop the pan and valve body)

2. Reman

Reman
    from Florida

I am no auto trans repairman by any stretch, but I have had the pleasure of breaking a few C4's. Sounds like a band, band strut to me also. I have tried to replace a band without pulling the trans down, but it was not possible, at least not with the parts I had. I had a local dealer mechanic telling me it could be done. You are probably up for a pull and re build job. I am sure some real trans guys will chime in and give you better info. Good luck

3. potshot

potshot
    from MT

It's not your band strut. Before you drop the pan, first make sure it's full of fluid. Then, while it's idling in park , put a drain pan under your radiator and start loosening a cooler line fitting. If your pump is working, fluid will start gushing out. If you have pump pressure, but it won't engage any gear, suspect a stripped spline in the converter, or a sheared input shaft.

4. J.D.

J.D.
    from Clovis, CA

Almost four years later I finally took my transmission in to get looked at. Potshot was right sheared the input shaft which took out the pump.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Wow, old threads don't die after all!

6. I'm glad he gave us a update on what happened.

7. J.D.

J.D.
    from Clovis, CA

Figured it might help someone down the road.

Hnstray likes this.
  8. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Probably time to swap in an AOD ;) whole lot better for cruising and the same length as the C4 makes it an EZ swap.

9. J.D.

J.D.
    from Clovis, CA

I don't think I have the tunnel clearance or X-member clearance for the beefier AON even though the length is the same... The C4 is a tight fit for my current setup.

Hnstray likes this.
  10. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

11. J.D.

J.D.
    from Clovis, CA

My clearance issues where with the width of the tail shaft from what I remember (it's been a while). Either way I am paying to fix the C4 and have all the stuff like my Lokar shifter to go with my C4 so I won't be swapping any time soon. It is a good suggestion thou, overdrive would be nice.

12. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

C4 transmissions are a snap to rebuild. Shouldn't be timely or costly.

13. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I had a torque convertor go bad on a C-4 and cause a no gear situation,it shuddered and then nothing. The splines on the hub in the convertor worn out.