Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Ron Pratt

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by keywestjack, Dec 1, 2014.

1. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

I don't know about the rest but for me...I didn't see anything he sold I could have afforded, so it didn't change the market for me at all............stuff in my price range is still attainable every day.

wingnutz and pitman like this.
  2. Hey guys it's over now!
    Anybody wanna buy a Model A frame for $450?

trulyvintage likes this.
  3. Boatmark

Boatmark

Sat up late last night and watched the rerun of a lot of the RP collection go across the block. Definitely some beautiful stuff - most of it at numbers I have a hard time comprehending. Such is the lot of a working stiff.

As for his changing priorities, its really hard to read some guys with that much money. My day job is in the world of boats and yachts. I've watched seen the ultra rich do strange things. One that stands out is a guy who spent a stack of millions building a custom yacht. Spent a lot of time getting every detail just to his specification over a couple of year project. Then got a new girlfriend who didn't like boats - not even a wife, just a girlfriend - and since he figured he wouldn't use it much he sold it with a handful of hours use. His attitude was, I'm not going to use it, so send it down the road. I can always get another one if I choose.

I could be wrong, but RP seemed more of the collector type who saw an asset / toy / possession, as opposed to say Jay Leno who has a passion for the cars and the history. Sounds like RP got bored. I would guess Leno would sooner part with an arm or leg than the bulk of his collection.

wingnutz likes this.
  4. Aircraft is a huge hole in the sky that sucks the money right out of the banks in a hurry. Ask Kermit Weeks!

warbird1 likes this.
  5. verde742

verde742

What the heck does that alphabet at the bottom of yer post do for ANYBODY? educate an old man

6. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Harrah's auto collection in Spark' was by far bigger and the car's were perfect. They were all stock restorations.

7. marfen

marfen
    from sask

Jimi was into vettes and chicks, been out of the market for 44 1/2 yrs tho.

Bubba1955 likes this.
  8. Tony,

Very resourceful ...

Jim

Tony Martino likes this.
  9. The 4 million all went to a great cause, are own veterans !

Tony Martino likes this.
  10. pitman

pitman

Verde; I think it's similar to "Dominic go frisk-em!"
    Wingnutz paid attention in school. :eek:

11. TinShed

TinShed

What did the 2lane 55 sell for?

12. mj40's

mj40's

And the crowd kicked in another $600,000

Tony Martino likes this.
  13. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

Where was his Tucker ?

14. sch-1

sch-1

"What the heck does that alphabet at the bottom of yer post do for ANYBODY? educate an old man"

Your not that old, if you were you would be able to read Latin! Take a close look at your cash, you will find it there also.

15. fuzzface

fuzzface

2 lane55 sold for $159,300 with the buyer premium. it was supposed to be the last car sold sat. but they moved it up quite few hours earlier, so possibly could have sold for more if it was left in the same time slot. they did put a blurb online that it was being moved up but I have heard of 1 guy that didn't get the memo that was interested that isn't happy.

for the Tucker, Ron sold that and 4 other cars in 2012. the Tucker brought 2.65 million back then.

Al Consoli likes this.
  16. I was an Alter boy in the early sixties and it is Latin!

Bablefish might be able to translate the message but for the most part it's my Modus Oparandi and a reminder to the faithful!

Now back to our regularly scheduled program... Ron Pratt was the care taker of the cars and now he's trying his hand at aircraft which to me is a Huge undertaking!!!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
    pitman likes this.
  17. Hey wingnuts,
    Airplanes... wasn't that "Hughes undertaking", as in Howard Hughes?
    I'm another former alter boy.
    It's sort of "Providence in favor of the cause, for the greater glory of God" like on the dollar bill!

wingnutz likes this.
  18. [QUOTE="Boatmark, post: 10800805, member: 1743]

I could be wrong, but RP seemed more of the collector type who saw an asset / toy / possession, as opposed to say Jay Leno who has a passion for the cars and the history. Sounds like RP got bored. I would guess Leno would sooner part with an arm or leg than the bulk of his collection.[/QUOTE]

The key word here is "PASSION"... some have it for a long time and others change over time.

Aircraft collection will show us his level of "passion"!

19. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

god only knows what he made or lost money on, but what I heard is that the futureliner after pratt bought it, needed some restoration finish work done to it, which he had done, including having tires made for it, wow! and then it sold for what he paid for it! the red highboy drag car, he paid 90000 for it and sold it for 243000, never touched it, so who the hell knows what the win loss ratio was. all I know I will never have to worry about having that kind of money! but I am glad he donated so much to charity. hope all the dollars get to where there suppose to go.

20. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

There was a guy here in Florida who also owned over 15 million of dollars worth of old very collectable cars who also auctioned off his entire collection a few years ago. He had over 150 beautifully restored old cars and motorcycles and petal cars in his collection along many other old collectable items.

I went though this guys shop a number of times and had all the toys everyone could ever want.

Times change and I think some people need the money for other types of investments.

Jimbo

21. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

When you get to a certain age, your priorities change. Too, do your heirs have the same passion about "things" you've collected? At a certain point in life, money is not is not as important as it once was and letting go of valued items is not real difficult.

22. Hey guys, I'm on my way, I sold the frame!
    Now where do I find $14,999,550 worth of stuff!
    I'll never have that kind of money, but I'm very rich
    in family and friends!

wingnutz likes this.