Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The Perfect Cliché...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 12, 2015.

1. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

I don't care if they're cliche' or not, I still dig 'em, and always have...got my first one, a '57 210 2-door sedan, when I was 12 years old...bought my second one, a 60,000 original mileage, Bel Air 2-door hardtop with a 283 Powerpack & Powerglide, built at the Oakland, Ca. plant, when I was 14 years old, and still own it after 42 years!

I currently have seven '57's : three 2-dr sedans, three 2-dr hardtops, and a 150 2-dr wagon, and a '55 210 2-dr sedan...I've probably owned 30-40 Tri-Fives over the years...

2. flatford8

flatford8
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Lyman,ME.

My older brother had a '55 in the early '70's. Gallons of bondo and a one foot square hole for the stick shift. I was 13-14......I loved it.....MARK

3. KustomRocket88

KustomRocket88

That is absolutely astounding. So little goes such a long way, especially like the white wheel wells. Love seeing the return of those subtle simple-to-do touches that really help to give a fresh look.

I always thought the Buick grille made a cool swap in those '57s.

4. I'm a 56 fan but I really like what he did to this 57!

5. Cool story.....and I like the black and white shots more. The '57 Chevy was probably the first old car I liked as as a kid.....just awesome!

6. Not ironically, the car was parked as "mild" as the car is...out in the back corner, quietly behind the building where most wouldn't even see it. I saw it and ran right to it...great car and one of my faves of the show.

7. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I have a real soft spot for 57s. That was my first old car and my entry point into this thing of ours. It's what inspired me 20+ years later to fulfill the dream and acquire a 57 Nomad, which is sitting patiently in my shop.

Despite the fact that 57s are typically left either stock or turned into 57 Chevelles, they're also not much different than most other mid 50s cars, where if you remove a lot of the superfluous, you're left with a great looking car with clean lines. Add in the right stance and the right wheel and tire choice, and you're a winner.

What I find interesting about this particular example is that while it's obviously a cliche car, it's also sort of an anomaly. It has some very pronounced body mods; the filled hood rockets, the 57 Buick grill, the typical nosing and decking, which is typically associated with a custom. But then it has a more aggressive, nose-down, ass-up stance, and skinny whites, which kind of speaks "hot rod". It's two styles that are difficult to get to peaceably coexist on the same car simultaneously, and most that try it are left looking like somebody wearing two different shoes. But this car pulls it off and does so well. A rarity in my book.

Dan Hay likes this.
  8. lilCowboy

lilCowboy

IMG_1756.jpeg View attachment 5965181 I’ve always loved 57 Chevys and also hated them very much, but my first reason of loving them is this car , owned by my dad, I wasn’t even born yet and there are only a few pics of it , but hearing about it from him made me love them aside from the second reason of hating them is how they are so over done and cliche and usually a facade of their previous cool self

9. This made me LOL because it’s so true. 57s make great Kustoms. I have a 1/25 and 1/12 scale 57 Hardtops that will be Kustoms.