Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dallas Texas visit coming up soon...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MotorVillain, Jan 16, 2015.

1. MotorVillain

MotorVillain

Hey everybody, I'll be in the Dallas area between Feb 15-22. If any of you fine folks can recommend any shops/cruise nights/car shows/whatever worth checking out I would be eternally grateful!! Bonus points for tips on the best BBQ spots.

2. The "Texas Thaw" traditional drags is next month just up the road in Denton - not sure of the dates. Will you be in the Dallas downtown area or ?

3. MotorVillain

MotorVillain

Stillrunners I'll be in Coppell but am willing to drive a fair bit to see something cool.

4. TexasDart

TexasDart

Red Neck Heaven is always a fun place.

5. Texas Thaw is March 6, 7. Decatur Swap Meet (north of Ft. Worth) is Feb. 20, 21.

6. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Decatur swap meet will definitely be worth your time. I set up there every year, rain or shine.

7. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

I will be in Dallas 1/25 - 1/30. Anything going on then ? Cruise spots ? I'm staying near the Airport.

Thx.
    VR&C.

8. Coppell is just a mile north of the airport - "Hard Eight" is a really good BBQ spot there....and if in the area the city of Grapevine is just a mile west and has a nice main street...going east on hwy 114 into Las Colinas there will be a left exit onto Northwest highway which will take you to the Gas Monkey bar about two miles down.....and if you keep on it for what guys....about 8 miles will be Keller's hamburgers a car hop kinda place that might have some cars hanging out.....Friday or Saturday.....as mention Decatur is about an hour or so north west of the airport and the Thaw is about the same straight north....

fast30coupe likes this.
  9. fast30coupe

fast30coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Illinois

Go to the hard 8 for some BBQ. I was just there wanted to check out bass Kustoms but I worked to late.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. MotorVillain

MotorVillain

Wow, thanks for all the info! Looks like I'll have a few places to check out. Much obliged!

12. rfraze

rfraze

The big indoor car show of the year, the 55th Autorama Dallas will be at Dallas Market Center Feb 13-15. Google it. Many of the shops you want to visit will be there.
    Market Diner is half a block north of Market Hall. Check out the West End and Deep Ellum while you are near downtown. Add Tex-Mex food and chicken fried steak to your searches. You need more time.
    Report back.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  13. MotorVillain

MotorVillain

Rfraze... Thanks for the tip, I'm going to fly in earlier so I can catch the show!

14. txs.junk

txs.junk
    from TEXAS

Great Swap in Decatur Texas about 35 miles west of Dallas start setting up on Thursday and goes to Sun have been setting up there about 8 years had about 1,000 or so venders last year if you have time great meet Hutchins Bar-B-Oue in McKinney is great Texas Eatin!

15. rfraze

rfraze

In the Market Hall area on Maple (just north of Oak Lawn) is an old school Tex-Mex place with the family name Herrera's. Ultimate nachos to enchiladas, all great!! AND you can bring your own beer!!

16. wsdad

wsdad

Slabs Barbecue
    4401 North Galloway Avenue, Mesquite, TX 75150

In my opinion, the best tasting of all the barbecue I've ever eaten. I've driven all over the Dallas / Ft. Worth area for the past 14 years for my job. Bbq is my favorite food. So I've eaten at countless bbq places. The brisket is literally the best tasting of all I've ever eaten.

It's not fancy. Its not even a restaurant. It's just a little store in a strip mall with a counter, some wood fire pits and the guy that works there. It's been the same guy for years. I think he owns it.

Welcome to Texas!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. rfraze - good note on the Autorama....sad to say that Herrera's has closed on Maple...but if he comes out of the show doors and takes Wycliff over the Trinity river the new Herrera's is right there at the light....

18. rfraze

rfraze

This is all making me want to come back home. So where is the best chicken fried steak nowdays? OP needs to know.

19. fast30coupe

fast30coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Illinois

Babes is pretty good