Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

The opposed friction shocks like that came from either Total Performance or Specialty Cars. Judging by the overall length and styling of the car I'd guess T.P.

2. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I've been surfing the www for good pictures of dragmaster Streetsters. And they are all tooo fad or tooo fugly.

But as a result I found some beautiful Ts, and some beautiful t-buckets.

Opinions folks.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1421489285.724442.jpg
    TV Tommi ivo
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1421489302.102781.jpg pre-kookie and norm (right?)
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1421489359.319812.jpg
    Not a fan of script radiators
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1421489402.543311.jpg
    This just needs a a bed and it really rocks my boat.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1421489508.153857.jpg
    This is the best T Streetster pic I've found. But I love the look of the rail.

Rasmus Brynk Andersen, from Denmark.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  3. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Chip what magazine was the Brusseau article in? I'd like to read the whole thing.

Thanks Gary

4. jalopy45

jalopy45

Why not?, another era , another vision, and nice workmanship.

loudbang and dana barlow like this.
  5. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

You know fadt that's really not what this thread but then my roadster isn't either. As Jalopy said not only nice but great workmanship. Chip is pretty tolerant about the thread and some knowledge can be learned from all builds.

dana barlow likes this.
  6. Very nice craftsmanship, FadT! Yeah, it's build era is late for this thread, but that doesn't mean we can't learn something from it! There's a few things I might change, but overall it's a very nice car.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. fadt

fadt
    from England

Interested as to what you would change and why?

8. Tried to find some pics of speciality Cars T's, but Google's letting me down today. All the pics I found of T.P. (I am the great cornholio! ) cars have the more traditional mounting for the shocks, just like mine. Was it an option?

9. missysdad1

missysdad1

Unh, oh...you've left yourself wide open here!

Your car is more of a "fad T" than a traditional T-bucket, and that's where the primary difference lies. Different era, as has been mentioned. Nice car nevertheless!

10. fadt

fadt
    from England

Any T-bucket roadster constructed entirely from new, prefabricated components, including a reproduction fiberglass body. The first aftermarket fiberglass roadster bodies featured in hot rodding and street rodding applications were introduced (notably by Cal Automotive) in the late 1950s.

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. 40ford

40ford
    from Duluth, GA

Within the last week I saw the Brusseau T on a collector car sales site and now I cannot find it. The site had 3 T buckets for sale.

12. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

FadT...did you delete your original post and pictures? Can't seem to find it now.

13. missysdad1

missysdad1

Not here to argue, just to help.

14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Agreed, this is a great thread, all of us know what a fad T is and also what a traditional T is.
    And we all have our own personal tastes. Fad Ts are in bad taste IMO.

We are having fun here, lets keep it that way. :)

15. Sorry FadT, didn't see your reply till just now. Just personal preference stuff, wasn't trying to criticise. Personally, I'm not a fan of smoothing off the door moldings on the body, but it goes with the ultra smooth build style of the car. The tank is beautifully crafted, but it just looks a little funny sitting up so high, so I would experiment with lowering the mount 3 or 4 inches (but for all I know you did that and that's where it looked best). Lastly, for some odd reason I can't even put my finger one, the red accents on the engine seem out of place to me. I think yellow plug wires would look better. PLEASE don't take any of this personally, as they are just my opinion, and you know what they say about those......;-). Your cars a hell of a lot nicer done than mine (but I just don't have the time, space, or money to redo it just yet with three other projects underway), so I don't really have room to talk.

16. nobux

nobux

Fadt, I've followed your build thread at tbucketeers.com. Your car is beautiful and well constructed. Unfortunately, it doesn't really fit the thread or the forum.

I'd hate to have this thread closed like the 60's Styled T-bucket thread was.

17. Now I've gone and done it,! NO problem with it being a glass body, Chip's car is glass, my car is glass, most of the cars on here are glass. I just meant the build style was a little late for this threads focus. I'm guessing I grew up in the same time frame as you, as I don't mind Fad T's (that are built right), it's just another build style. Personally, I grew up drooling over the T in the Bird Automotive ad's (Tall windshield and top, fiberglass fenders front and rear, cowl lamps and lantern tail lights, etc), and I'm still collecting parts to build one some day. I also really like the clean early cars (like Gary's), and the later 60's cars as well! So please don't feel unwelcome or picked on by my comments, and welcome to the thread!

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. pitman

pitman

Is that TV Tommy on the left?

19. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I don't know, I've found the picture. And under it stood: Tommy Ivo's car.

I just like the photo. And the car. :)

Fadt, I love a era specific rod! I like buckets.
    I struggle with my feelings toward your car, I respect the craftsmanship you put in, I love you went so era specific, and still it doesn't get me all hot and bartered (sp?).

The EFI parts(anodized), the massive rear wheels, the tank and the steering mast. But the Dan Woods inspired rear set up, is so nicely craftet, and I really that choose to run front brakes despite running MC wires in front. And those stack is just cool.
    I like it when a frame is another color then the body, but it's hard to find a good match to canary yellow.

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  20. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Nicely put, Brynk....I really like History, that is one of my favourite parts of Hot Rodding. I`ve been lucky to meet alot of the Old guys who were heroes to me from before I moved to the US almost 30 years ago. So I tend to like Historic cars, and cars that are built with older, more traditional styling. I really like that chopped Buick(?) Convert in the background in the Palamides pic too. But I`m just not into new looking stuff, whether it`s `70`s new, Billet new, Pro Touring new or whatever......I have to build what my customers want every day, so I have to be adaptable. But that doesn`t mean I have to love it...but I can appreciate it. There is a difference....

Yep, that`s Tommy holding the flag........I think Gary looked alot like that about 60 years ago..:eek::D

volvobrynk and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  21. Yes it is. I'd know that smile anywhere!

22. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Yeah Pitman that's Tommy Ivo racing his T and also him standing next to it in the B&W photo.

And as for you fadt you asked for it. If you were to draw a cartoon of Grabowski's, Ivo's or my T for that matter it would look something like yours. But that shouldn't surprise you. That must have been the look you were after as the builder of "Leg Show" or the "Uncertain T' Steve Scott were looking for that same character look. That being said I put yours on the same class and level of construction as those two builds. I'm glad you guys build them as they are interesting and fun to look at but they are really not what this thread is about.
    Thinking about it this thread is really about just the opposite of what your and my build are. I think it is about the smoothing out and perfecting in the early '60s of the look of the mid. '50s T Bucket Roadster, and before the cartoon like Ts in the late '60s and '70s became popular.

Gary

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  23. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I like some tube frames,but here are things I'd not do,like EX into a tube frame,wow that would cut the life of the tube fast,EX is not frendly to steel no matter what its treated with inside. Friction shocks are one of those things that kind of look cool to some,but need a lot of upkeep to work only about 1/2 as good as real shocks,so they still don't look cool to me. Headlights that were old over size bulb/reflector that worked poorly at best brand new,were just not used on anything but a show only rod very rairly,like big old all brass ect.{now days we see them more becuz new tech bulbs ect. can actuly make that old junk lite up.,an young guys with no history ideas,get sucked into "I saw them on so an so,wow cool" but it don't change that they were not really used or and not cool in the 50s or 60s,nearly every one thought they were big older junk to trash,not very aero looking ,when 7in. newer sealbeams worked very well an looked lite aero n raceyer for hotrods. Just saying how it was really in Florida in 50 n 60s

24. fadt

fadt
    from England

Gary
    Appreciate your comment and respect the point you make. I just love Buckets whatever the style, shape or origins.

25. So I got my new TRJ this week, and there's a photo of Randy Bianci's T in it's pre-Sunkist guise! The bones of the car are already there, but it doesn't have the blown motor yet.

need louvers ? likes this.
  26. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

I got the steel bracing cut out to strengthen the floor to frame mounts, seat belt mounts, and seat frame mount. Now I just need to weld it up, notch the floor for the driveshaft, and drill the frame for the weld in threaded inserts I got. Slow going, but progress nonetheless!

1421555931268.jpg

1421556131125.jpg

27. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Tim-with-a-T;I don't know if this would help ya at this point,but I see rear shocks in photo,may not be hooked up,but if they are hooked up strait down as photo is showing,it maybe handy to know they would work better if bottom of shocks were out closer to tires=it helps sway and that also helps shackel stay centered,that helps have no wabbel/ [ adding panhard bar if used can also do some of that but will not help sway/lean.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
    volvobrynk likes this.
  28. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Thanks Dana. I put the shocks straight up and down due to space confinements. I have a panhard bar which isn't hooked up or shown in the photo.

volvobrynk and dana barlow like this.
  29. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

There is something that appeals to me about the Track T and Early buckets. But the later one make me go all limb in all the wrong places.

I got the same feeling towards tube axels with hair pins, small headlights and early shocks. As most of you, of the fit the era, use them if not, stay away.
    But the early ones with almost or no rake, not to much add-ons and that mean racer look, is perfect to me.

Steel rebel/ Gary , I like you car, and the Von franko/early norm T-bucket, they are Classic and cool. But lees rake is my key focal point.
    And of course tires. Wheels make or break a car, but tires make the car look right from front and rear.
    So that's important too

And the lack of chrome/nickel/brass and mono-chrome is also a big deal. But also an era-definer

30. I just pinched this photo from another hot rod site so don't know anything about it but liked the blown engine with the six carbies. Now awhile back Chip mentioned a 471 blower with a 4 barrel but I still adore multi carbed inlets.
    IMG_3140_zpsbd313f69.jpg

volvobrynk likes this.