Register now to get rid of these ads!

Look what followed me home.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SOCAL PETE, Sep 26, 2008.

1. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

Oh the blocks already home....For $100 engine and tranny ...the deal was burning a hole in my pocket. At 40k the cylinders still have cross hatches. Only bad thing is the heads are truck heads with itty bity valves.
    But I have a buddy that builds some world famous top fuel engines at my side.....He said we can tweak it just a bit. I was looking for about 285 hp at the rear tire...but wih Him and me working on it....it might turn out to be a blown alcohol y block. :eek:

2. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

The frame is back from the blaster. I am into the boxing of it now.
    Kinda waiting for some help to position the engine in the frame for the front frame rail boxing.

37 parts 083.jpg

The 292 Y-block. Not bad for $100. I got the truck tranny and bell too.
    Kinda wondering how I can use that truck bell. The mounting ears would make it SOOOOO easy.

P1050126.JPG

3. Hey Pete!
    What year is your frame??
    Looks so different than mine!!

I hope, you have fun, boxing the hell out of it ;)

4. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

That right there my friend is a 1937 frame. They had two engines that year. A 60 hp and a 90 hp. I have no idea if there is any difference pertaining to the frame.
    Yes the boxing has begun. More pics to follow.

5. nice build,what trans are you gonna use?

6. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

Something manual. Top loader or T-5. More than likely T-5.
    It is going to be driven alot!
    I sold my road racer/daily driver in July. The only thing keeping me out of the nut house is the bike.

7. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

UPDATE.
    Between building horse corrals and leveling earth...I have managed to get some work done
    Most of the frame is boxed.
    I have made it up to just in front of the X brace.
    Removed the pedals...I think Ron had a good idea to do a swing pedal.
    Picked up my disc from Ron the other day.
    Welded in the channel. Removed a portion of the floor and the stock supports.
    Removed the battery box from the fire wall. Small fire started from that...under the dash crap. Small fire..lotta smoke. Looked great when the wife pulled in from work.;)
    Minor welding left on the cab..doors still need to be welded up...I see a few more weeks on them.
    Just waiting to install the cab on the frame to check alignment.
    Friends are rnning scared these days..to much manual labor going on here. Bastages.

8. moon man

moon man
    BANNED

Nice, great job love the chop..

9. hvychvy

hvychvy

Lookin killer,we really need some pics:D

10. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

UPDATE!
    Well I have done it once again. Two cars projects and tons of other crap. Landscaping..finishing the patio etc etc.
    So back to the 37. I went with a 292. punched .050 forged pistons. Ecg-z heads with s/s valves. 292 isky cam with 3 dueces.
    With the 65 Sunbeam Alpine (Aka BLISTIC ) also being built I enlisted a good friend and I refer to as the Y-BLOCK GOD (JM) to build the block. We talked about the build and he recommended the 282 cam. This should be a pretty wicked street engine.
    It would be a reasonable daily driver and cut some decent trips down the 1/8 in a 2100 .lb truck. I saw the other grind and asked. His response was that grind is used if your out to take on the world. I said "Well then that is the one we want." John just smiled.
    My target date is by the end of the summer to have it in roller form.
    I also picked up a set of nice INDY mag. So I have to decide on the steelies or indy's. I hope to post some pics this coming week.

11. IT's gonna be a sweet ride

12. Pete, what's going on with that build??
    You owe us some pics ;)

13. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

I KNOW I KNOW! I am draggin ass.:eek: This weekend I managed to work on the 60. Replaced Inner and outer rocker panel. Installed a intake & carb, valve covers, headers and redid the exhaust pipe. Reinstalled the door and bench seat. Put new tires and rims on it and got the front end aligned. Welding will start tomorrow morning on the 37

14. TikiBoi13

TikiBoi13
    from San Pedro

Nice find, wish something like that would follow me home. Looking good. Good luck with the bulid.

15. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

So the current update.
    We moved to another house. More room all around and no hills to climb.

The 60 and the 90's engine decided to die. The 60 I knew was close but the 90 bronco ...Still scratching my head on that one. Well replaced the bronco 5.8 and the 60 Apache will be installed this week between rain showers.
    The update on the 37. The parts fairy dropped off a 4 inch drop superbell and associated front end pieces.
    Rockers should be here in the next few days. Then hopefully a box from welder equipment witha 4 link.
    I decided against the buggy rear suspension.

My Y-block engine builder...JM (Y_BLOCK GOD) kinda talked me into using a set of his Aluminum heads. Really it didn't take to much arm twisting.
    So thus the reasoning behind the 4 link.
    There are two meets at Barona. May is the antique drags and the ROCKABILLY Road Trip July 10.
    I guess I will shoot for both and hope I can get to the last one.
    Pics by next week.

16. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

Ok I finally had the time to put together the pile of parts. Along with a bit of fabrication. 4 inch superbell w/ hairpins. 4 link with rear coils overs from welders series.

Cab needs a little attitude adjustment in the front. I am waiting for the engine before getting to crazy. The doors and door rockers should be done this week. Then the build a bed and tail gate. Then body work or find som more doors. These have bullet holes all in them.

Attached Files:

17. Mathew21

Mathew21

18. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

Just scored me a complete 37 hood...$300!!! Now a tail gate and assemble the bed.

19. looks good pete!
    once the weight of the motor is in there, it'll be perfect!
    keep us posted

20. howco

howco

Pete, is that a 37 truck grill with the horizontal bars removed???

21. it just don't have a windshield in there now ;)

22. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

No, It does have a vertical bar. I haven't chopped that yet. Been lazy and trying to work the doors skins.
    The passenger door is looking good right now. Considering..it was petty hammered.

23. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

Finally fiqured out the steering with this Y-block install. Seems like I may have zero bump steer. Both and room for the filter. The floor is built and will have the pans in this week. pics to follow.
    y-bloxck.jpg

24. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

Yeah I'm a slacker...or maybe to much on my plate in life. Here is what I've
    been able to get accomplaished in a few months.
    Coverted the toploader 4 speed to a top shift.
    Brake lines flared, floor made, trans tunnel built. shift built, gas tank built,
    Body moved back 6 inches, radiator installed. Engine fired up,
    Currently waiting on a flywheel and drive shaft to be built.
    A little more wiring ,cab/door work and glass...a driver by July 27th maybe.

1937.jpg

1937 II.jpg

25. Abomb

Abomb

I think that grill shell needs a bit of sectioning...other than that, pretty cool.

26. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

Possibly an inch. If I change the rears to a taller tire it gives a different look.
    It was hard finding a radiator that would work with the y block.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  27. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

37 3.jpg 37 x2.jpg

Well after two moves..a broken leg,,,I've finally got my 37 running. Just a few minor things to iron out. Then adding a 3-71 super charger on the y block.

Zerk likes this.
  28. Zerk

Zerk

Whoa. Looks great! You definitely gave it some attitude.

29. Looking great Pete!
    Glad you're back on it!

30. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

Thanks. Hope to have th first test drive this week.