Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 2 questions on my master cylinder.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evintho, Jan 12, 2015.

1. evintho

evintho

I'm using a '62 Chevy pickup M/C. I already swapped the two plungers and the only differences I noticed were the two springs were just slightly different and there's some kind of filter or something on the brake side (which is now the clutch side) but there's nothing on the other side. What is that at the bottom of the cylinder and why exactly did I need to swap the plungers?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. squirrel

squirrel

that little gizmo is the residual pressure valve. You want it on the brake side (if you have drum brakes), but NOT on the clutch side.

3. evintho

evintho

Well, the brake side is now on the other side. Is there any way to remove that valve so I can install it on the other side or just remove it entirely and install some aftermarket RPV's in the brake lines?

4. fordor41

fordor41

Maybe disassemble and remove the RPV from the clutch cylinder and install an in-line RPV in the brake lines

5. squirrel

squirrel

I have two cars that I cheated and put an early single master cylinder on. With front disc brakes. I removed the residual valve from both of them, and don't have one at all. But yeah, you could put valves in the lines if you want.

6. evintho

evintho

Yeah, that's the plan. Any idea how to remove that RPV?

7. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

They normally just fall out,but blow into the outlet with a bit of air.

8. evintho

evintho

............Duh! Yep, that did it.
    Thank you very much!

9. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

Are both sides of the cylinder the same size,or the question would be is the cylinder for the brakes big enough.

10. Both sides are the same on the correct cyl. The 1-1/16" bore works just fine for most brake set-ups. When switching the parts, there is usually a rubber seal washer at the bottom of the brake side that sometimes sticks in the bore, need to be sure to switch that too.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. evintho

evintho

I thought I saw one lurking down there. Thanks for the confirmation!

12. I use this set up. Just a tip. Don't fill it too full or it will leak past the cover gasket. I leave mine 1/2"-3/8" below the lid.