Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Willys shifter conversion for a Ford Toploader

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GT427, Jan 11, 2015.

1. GT427

GT427

Hi ,, Would anyone know where I could purchase a Willys CJ 176-7 floor shifter for my Top loader Ford 4 speed.
    I have looked on David KEE and Hotrod works site for anything after market ...cause i cant find an original which i prefer,
    Am fitting a 4 Speed Toploader to my 40 Coupe.
    Fitting the box and opening the rear end is simple But finding an original shift is proving to be hard.
    cheers
    steve

2. You didn't like my reply in your thread yesterday?

3. GT427

GT427

sorry never recieved it

4. GT427

GT427

sorry never recieved it

5. Wooster

Wooster
    from Soso, MS

Google/Search 1980 to 1986 Jeep T-176 Shift top. Found mine on Ebay used but can buy the top and parts new online and build the shift top but expensive.

6. GT427

GT427

thanks tried that contacted the same guy .....got a lame email reply .....we dont have any and dont do that...make up one from new parts
    wonder why he still in biz.......cheers

7. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am just about to do this conversion on a top loader 4 speed that I am putting behind a flathead in my 31 roadster. The answer above is correct, it comes on Jeeps from 1980 to 1986, and as I understand it they were optional transmissions at the time which makes them somewhat rare now. I think if you don't want to buy the parts new and assemble your own shift tower your best bet would be to start scouring the jeep web sites and craigs list ads. I basically tripped over the one I got on craigs list just before Christmas and it was only 20 miles from my house!

Gordon

8. Wooster

Wooster
    from Soso, MS

9. GT427

GT427

thanks Gordon,
    thats what i have been doing for 2 months...ended buying one on ebay....paid for it
    when we recieved it it was a f100 shifter not willys toploader as advertised.photos were not good....but i called the guy to check it was the one i wanted...and told yes it is.
    The flake has disappeared and Ebay are lame and are doing nothing constructive cause it did not pay pal pal
    The guy did not take paypal and requested bank deposit transfer...which we did ....just got ripped off thats all.
    He will turn up to a run one day ....the rodding world is small ....then he will be delt with..

10. GT427

GT427

thanks Gordon will check....

11. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you want I can snap a quick picture of the tranny and shift tower you are looking for tomorrow. That way you will have that info in front of you if need it for reference.

Gordon

12. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One other thing that comes to mind is to stick a wanted ad on any of the jeep web sites you check out. Jeep guys are like us rodders and they hold on to most every part they take off. Might be a chance one of them shoots you an email and says he's got one squirreled away!

I hate folks that screw you over. It is tough enough rounding up parts for the cars we are working on without worrying about some stiff screwing you.

Gordon

13. GT427

GT427

thanks Gordon ....but i have all the info and part numbers ...but just cant find a complete unit.
    As we speak am emailing part recyclers for Willys

14. GT427

GT427

thanks again

15. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If emailing US based folks you want to tell them Jeep CJ parts. If you tell them Willys its either an old old jeep from the 40's/50's or a gasser coupe! Neither would get you what you need.

Gordon

16. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, GT;
    You might also try the Pirate4x4 forum. It's an odd mix, be careful.
    Marcus...

17. Just to repeat my last reply, look up the Townsends in Glen Innes. Peter or John, I forget which one, but they had quite a few of these, both repro and original Jeep ones for sale.

18. acme30

acme30
    from Australia

Or contact chub 0418 489 104 he advertises jeep shifters in Australian Street Rodding. Adds says he has lots of them in stock.

I don't know him but if you can buy local it is going to save you a bundle in freight. 4 x4 wreckers and jeep guys in Australia should have them for sale

19. Don't bet on it, I tried 20 years ago, but you never know.

20. acme30

acme30
    from Australia

Granted they don't come up every day but persistence pays off. I have 2 of them one already converted onto a top loader obtained from a local jeep guy and a second that I bought from a jeep guy 6 weeks ago who was selling up all his bits. All in Perth