Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Surface Rust Repair

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mackedisto, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Hey all, I have a '64 Merc that at one time had major surface rust on all the flat surfaces. The previous owner sand blasted the rust away and rattle can primed it. He done a fairly good job but all the surfaces now have major pitting where the rust was removed. My question is should I skim it with bondo or do they make a high build primer that will fill the pits? What other products could I use? Any sugestions will be greatly appreciated.

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am thinking that some of the new high build primers should handle that with enough coats and enough block sanding. At least I hope so as my Model A Victoria is going to need a lot of similar work.

Mackedisto and fourspeedwagon like this.
  3. christopher 78

christopher 78

You could also spray slick sand on it. It is a polyester primer that is a super high build. I use it after I have stuff blasted. Works great. But you have to spray a 2k surfacer over it to paint.

Mackedisto likes this.
  4. K204DR

K204DR
    from Chatt TN

Better to wipe it with finish putty first then prime with high build. A lot less work in the long run.

Mackedisto likes this.

5. Are you planning on working on top of the rattle can primer? I tried doing this, once, on a new to me vehicle, rust came back 5 years later. Don't trust the primer, and strip to re-do. If you already did that, you should heed the advice you'll receive in your thread.

Mackedisto likes this.
  6. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Don't short cut it. Go to bear metal and start over. DON'T trust any previous work. Some of the new primers are good to bear metal. Be sure to read all instructions and have the tech. sheet from the jobber. With any product BE sure it can go direct to bear metal.

Mackedisto likes this.
  7. My thought if the original owner sandblasted the top and only rattle can primed the top I would be willing to bet it's rusty under the primer,spray can primers are not sealers therefore doesn't seal out moisture so it's absorbed.

You might sand a area and make sure there is no rust under the primer,using a high fill primer and paint would be your best option. HRP

Mackedisto likes this.
  8. indyjps

indyjps

Yep, strip it back down and be sure the pits are neutalized and all rust removed. If you didn't personally see the previous owner do the work, figure it's not up to par.

Mackedisto likes this.
  9. I didn't know the previous owner before but he was upfront about everything on the car. I think I'll take it back down to bare metal and go back with a high build like slick sand then if needed, I can put a surfacer to seal it up before paint.

10. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Just be sure it NOT to use any acid etch primer or it will all bubble up. Sounds like a plan be sure to follow directions, and it sands like fine talc powder. Dry sand works best. Good luck

Mackedisto likes this.