Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Torque Converter Advice Needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by swaluda, Jan 9, 2015.

1. swaluda

swaluda
    from pa.

I have a 350 Chevy (383) 450 Horse 460 Torque Rated Engine, a 215-230 Melling Roller Cam, 700r4 Heavy Duty Trans, 355 Ford Bronco 8.8 Rear and just regular style 15 in Tires. The Trans hasn't been installed yet. I have a 2200-2600 Converter and was wondering if I should have just gone with a stock one. I don't have plans to race it, just some street and long haul Highway trips. I plan on a short snout water pump with a regular Fan and Clutch. Anyway, Will this Torque Converter be acceptable for Highway Runnin and cruising speed would be about 2000 rpm 65-70 mph. OR should I go stock converter which wont hold the Torque Band too long, Thanks, Stan, Carburetor will be a 750 with a Pertronix HEI Distributor Compression Ratio is 9-1

2. I you can get the idle down to about 600- 750 RPM a stock converter will work. My ZZ4 is about 360HP. with a stock converter

3. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I have pretty much the same setup in a 2200# roadster. Mine has a little bigger cam and more compression. Same trans, same gears and tires. It has a 3500 stall -10" converter. Works real nice. Could be just a tad tighter. I'd bet you'll be OK with 2200-2600 stall. You didn't say how heavy the car is. The weight of the car is one of the most important factors in choosing a TC.

4. you shouldn't have any problems that trans has a lock-up torque so at highway speeds you won't have any slip stock converters stall is about 1800rpm

5. missysdad1

missysdad1

X2...depending upon car weight as has been mentioned. I've installed higher stall converters in high performance cars before and didn't like the way they drive around town. Just too loose for my taste, but again I'm not a Ricky Racer type so ultimate performance is not important to me. I like to feel the rpm's rise and fall as I go through the gears and I prefer having some compression braking when I take my foot off the gas. But hey, that's just me...

6. swaluda

swaluda
    from pa.

Car weight is a 1950 Plymouth Coupe, I'd say about 3,000 lbs, including Drivetrain

7. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I hope that was a type o