Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Lowering Read on 49 Ford Options?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gijoe985, Jan 7, 2015.

1. junk

junk

Great video!

2. We put 3" blocks on the rear of our 49 and used the 1" spacer on the bottom of the front spring mount plates. Car sits right and rides great. Added a beefier front sway bar too.
    Our front spacers are an aluminum "kit" but you could just as easily use square tubing.
    Check out our pal Chris at SHOEBOX CENTRAL for parts and help. Cool on line catalog too...

3. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

If you go the block method why not do this......make your own perches, but make them "taller" 2 or 3 inches, your choice. That way when you weld them on there are no blocks and you can set your own pinion angle, plus drill the locator hole where you want it to so that the wheel is centered in the well. Simple pie right there, good luck.

4. gijoe985

gijoe985

I'll admit that I don't really know what you did here, but since I have yet to spend any time under this car (it hasn't even arrived yet) I guess I don't know what to compare it to.

I'm thinking we'll play with the springs first. Try removing one, flipping, etc. At least that option is free and reversible.

On the front, maybe dropping the perch and then cutting a small bit of coil. Rather than cutting the coils more.

We might even look at creating our own custom spindles up front, who knows...

5. gijo985; I like what your saying. Try different ways and compare. So if you look at the photo of my 51 Ford frame you'll see the spring mounts are on the under side of the frame rails. In the photo of my 57 Ford I have moved the spring mounts Inboard and up on the side of the frame rail. That lowered the chassis 4" and did not add any leverage to the spring. This was done for two reasons. One, to lower the car and still have a good street ride. Two was to be able to put 11.5" wide tires under the back. This car has extra horse power and I want it to hook up.
    The Wizzard

gijoe985 likes this.
  6. I have 3" blocks under the back and 1" spacer blocks under the front on my avatar. I've driven it 30,000 miles with no u-joint issues. Biggest problem I have is having to deflate the rear tire (205 radials) or take the shock loose at the bottom to remove a rear tire. Another approach to the front is to replace the front coils with 1990 Ford Aerostar front coils. Gets you about 2" in the front. Add the 1" spacer blocks and you can get 3-1/2" to 4"

gijoe985 likes this.
  7. gijoe985

gijoe985

8. gijoe985

gijoe985

Aha! Mounted to the inside of the frame rather than under. That makes sense now. Like I said, I'm not too familair with the stock setup, so I couldn't tell at first what you were achieving. That's a good idea. If you've got the fabrication equipment it seems ideal. Keep the springs functioning the same, but get the drop.

All this said, what are the "practical" limits for lowering. Can anyone suggest what they'd consider a decent height that doesn't start running into problems.

9. 3" blocks in the back and aerostar springs in the front are fairly standard, the aerostar springs (Moog #CC850) allow about a 2 1/2" drop and are about $40 for the pair. On a '49, 3 inches is about the limit before the driveshaft will rub when you go over bumps.

10. atomickustom

atomickustom

You can't go much more than 3" in the front before you start hitting the bump stops a lot, and if you then trim the bump stops the steering arms can hit the frame.
    If you are willing to make room where the frame hits you can go another couple inches. More requires dropped or reversed spindles.
    Someone will probably claim you can go more but they either have lower standards for ride comfort and safety or front springs that are stiff as heck.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. gijoe985

gijoe985

Not to get side tracked, but were turn signals an "option" on this car? Just got it, been playing around, I've never owned or really worked on much before the 60s. I see turn signal indicator lights on the dash gauge, but no lever to activate them... This is a fin learning experience. Kids are already getting a big kick from how different things were. I love the appreciation they are showing for the little things like how the trunk opens and how you flip open the key holes.

12. I have owned 49's and 50's that appeared to have never had a signal switch installed but had the indicators in the dash cluster. Every 51 I've owned has had the signal switch in them. Makes me think they were an option 49 and 50 then became standard in 51. I also owned a 49 Merc without the switch in it but my 50 does.
    The Wizzard

askforjonny likes this.
  13. gijoe985

gijoe985

Where are you from? We're in Grandview Washington. Just curious...

14. We're planning on doing a '51 soon this way. I've herd the Aerostar springs are the way to go.

15. atomickustom

atomickustom

Yes, turn signals were optional on '49 Fords. In addition to adding the turn signal lever unit (no big deal, just get an aftermarket add-on like this: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/upd-5007r?seid=srese1&gclid=CL__iqnJo8MCFQySaQodWXEAhA ) you will also need to change the front sockets to dual-element OR have no running lights. I believe I just converted the front running lights to turn signals when I added them to my '50 coupe years ago. They sure attract more attention when they're flashing on and off than bright/dim!