Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1947 Kaiser Frazer promotional pickup

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 47 Frazer pickup, Jan 6, 2015.

1. image.jpg image.jpg Hello, I am new to the forum and wanted to share some information and pictures. I have a 1947 Frazer Pickup that is thought to be one of three Kaiser Frazer concept promotional pickups that Earl "Madman" Muntz had commissioned built to see if there was any interest in a luxury pickup (like the ranchero or el Camino). This particular truck is a top of the line 1947 Manhattan Frazer.

Attached Files:

2. thunderplex

thunderplex

Never heard of them. Cool!!

3. There is one the hot rod magazine did an article on. It is completely restored and customized. I believe this one to be all original in found condition!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Fulvia

Fulvia

I've never heard of them before. I am a huge kaiser fan. Thanks for the info!

5. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks homemade to me. Maybe some shots from different angles and close-ups of the top/bed would help.

6. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I'm still trying to figure out where the other side of the bed is in the bottom photo. :)

Cool truck. Running?

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

^^^^^^^^click on the thumbnail in the bottom of the post and three pics will show up.
    One of which shows the left side, intact. The photo you refer to does look puzzling, but
    is apparently misleading.

Ray

8. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Thanks. Maybe it folds down like a Corvair Rampside.

9. The story I got was they made 3 promotional trucks by a company in southern Ca named Betts. The first truck (this one) was a true concept and used the rear doors and copped behind front doors. It wasn't feasible to make trucks like that so the next two trucks they used existing truck beds and grafted them on, like a unibody.

10. The bed of the truck is full of parts and original rims with tires. I think your just seeing junk.

11. Plus there is no tail gate, so maybe that's what your seeing.

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Ah I see now, shadows, or lack thereof, on the inside bed wall. Anyway I suppose it makes a pretty good difference both historically and financially if it is the original concept. Hopefully others here can help you can gather more information.

13. oldolds

oldolds

There were at least 3 of them in a local junk yard years ago. They had TV store lettering on them. They may have been made locally in Pa. There was a shop near this yard that had a reputation for making Henry J convertibles when they were new.

14. alchemy

alchemy

There have been lots of cars made into pickups over the years. Even Kaisers. I wouldn't be too excited that you've found THE first Madman Muntz prototype unless you can identify some very particular feature, or have some paperwork showing this car's history. Most likely it was just some farmer or wannabe customizer that made it.

wvenfield likes this.
  15. maneri

maneri
    from ohio

47 do some checking on this I just read an article
    on this within a couple months-- limited produced (factory) Im
    trying to locate it. Saw one in maryland about 7 years ago at HOT ROD GARAGE

16. I also have an original tilt that states it's a pickup not a sedan like it started out.
    Read the link I just posted. It's a great story!!

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. Title not tilt

18. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

I'm certain I read somewhere, that there were only 3 made? 2 were kaisers,and the one and only fraizer was #3? don't quote me, but you may want to research that! If so, It is a 1 of 1 vehicle!

19. Yes, I heard only one was a Frazer but I never considered it a 1 of 1, but you are right!

20. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Hella find

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. Yeah! Crazy!

22. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420600154.289202.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420600202.103043.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420600242.650269.jpg

kiwijeff and volvobrynk like this.
  23. Hot Rod Jerry

Hot Rod Jerry

In 1956 my dad got a body shop in Artesia, New Mexico to build him a 55 Oldsmobile pickup. They used the back of an AD Chevy pickup 5 window for the rear of the cab. Did a great job. No one knew Oldsmobile built a pickup , And of course my dad had great fun telling them he got the only one built. I have seen others, but dads actually looked factory. Sold it to a picker a few years ago.

24. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Unfortunately, to be a member of this forum in good standing you are going to have to either chop it or put a Hemi in it. ;)

25. 47fraz, if I was you, I'd be getting all the info on that thing that I could find and verify all that you can. If it is a 1 of 1 it has to be valuable to someone, maybe Jay Leno. Good luck with it!

26. Found this pic via google............

Cool looking truck.you found.

[​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  27. There have been a lot of cars made into pickups that never were.....we had a local body shop guy
    who liked to make Caddys into pickups. Olds dealer in a nearby town had a 60s Olds pickup. And have seen others over the years. Some were more "graceful" than others in their design. The Kaiser and Frazer pickups do look kind of home made, but they are unique and some automotive history we didn't know about til now.

28. Did they have an Aussie ute version ?

Right in the middle of the Coupe express idea era and the elcamino idea era.