Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anyone in the city of San Francisco??????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Evilfordcoupe™, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Evilfordcoupe™

Evilfordcoupe™

Is anyone actually living in San Francisco on here?? Building a car????

I see a few cars/trucks here and there but figure they are just passing through.

-Jason

2. nelsoncoupe

nelsoncoupe

Nope! I see a few when I go, I'm in Pleasanton, but I don't live in the city.

Hold my beer and watch this!

3. Nobody lives there anymore.:D

4. unkamort

unkamort

I was there for 45 years... built my '38 in a garage under a rented flat. SF had a long history of being a car town. Sadly that is no longer true. If your there now you know that space is at a premium, and the 'green meanies' are out in force. It is true that there are still a lot of really nice cars around, and a few guys that keep the faith. There over there... under that pile of Prius's.

Attached Files:

5. Vet65te

Vet65te

To answer the original posters question, there doesn't seem to be that many car-people left in 'the City' these days. They are still around but most of them moved out to the suburbs. I grew up out in the Sunset District of SF, had a friend who owned a speed shop on Ocean Avenue and just two doors down from me lived the last owner(lease-holder) of Half Moon Bay Dragstrip. Of course, there was a fair amount of racing going on out on the Great Highway and Brotherhood Way. By the way, Unkamort, I like the pic of your Sedan taken over at Fort Baker. Also like the '33 Willys but don't remember seeing that car or the name before. Was the Mitchell name...Mike Mitchell?
    Mike T - Prescott AZ

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  6. unkamort

unkamort

Did not mean to mis-represent that... The sweet sedan is not mine. My build is too off topic for this board. The photos posted are meant to illustrate history. I have many more to prove SF 'was' a car guys town, but prices and politics are working against gear heads these days. All respect to those who can tough it out.

Attached Files:

7. Vet65te

Vet65te

Not a problem, I just saw some old familiar spots in the pics. Nice pics, by the way. Your comment about prices and politics is accurate. In the SF Bay Area there's only two dragstrips left, Sears Point (aka: Sonoma Raceway) and Sacramento Raceway.
    Mike T - Prescott AZ

8. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Go down to the very end of Revere St./Hunter's Point. Several guys fabricating hot rods there, should be some parked on the street. Keep a low profile until you get there. :)

9. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

My friend Dave lives in San Bruno I think every 3rd house in his neighborhood is a car person ... Lots of race / muscle cars in that area .. Some hotrods brizeo and goetelli right down the street

10. LOL unless things have changed a lot they have Valet Parking on the point. :D

I was in the city last month, didn't see a lot of Hot Rods, but when we were driving though town on my way to the airport we did pass a few young guys in classics. The most of the "Hot Rod" scene has been in the south bay most of my life.

11. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I was just passing through.

DSCN2272.jpg

12. 296ardun

296ardun

Mike Mitchell, the world's fastest hippie...started out with this gasser and later painted it psychedelic colors, went to a Corvette-bodied gasser then a funny car...I believe he is now deceased.

13. SmokinBill

SmokinBill

Once a year they have a Old car Picnic in Golden gate Park Speedway meadows, It has been held by a guy name Jimmy for the last 25 years, It's now run by someone else at the same location and a lot of cars you don't see very often show up for the day.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Evilfordcoupe™

Evilfordcoupe™

It seems like it!!!!

Jason

15. Evilfordcoupe™

Evilfordcoupe™

16. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

You mean nobody cool lives there anymore. 'Cept us of course. Sure is a lot of traffic.

Evilfordcoupe™ likes this.
  17. More "Just Passing Through" Pics ...

[​IMG]
    San Francisco - July 1969
    photo by Andy (@AndySS) Southard Jr.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    San Francisco - July 1981
    photos by Bruce Olson

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey! I live on Union Street!

19. Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  20. Christmas eve morning a bunch of hot rods from Marin head over to Mel's on Lombard for breakfast. Haven't done it my self in a few years but there are is usually a pretty showing.

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A three block walk from my house.

22. chevyhound

chevyhound
    from usa

San Francisco, you are not alone. I figure that in ten years or so, LA will join you. Most folks I see now are in the "Valley" or parts east inland. I don't know of many in the basin. I'd imagine that there are nice pockets in Pasadena & Torrance but, we're basically talking suburbs at that point.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. Evilfordcoupe™

Evilfordcoupe™

24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We should have some sort of social thing.

25. Evilfordcoupe™

Evilfordcoupe™

Im way out by the zoo. ;-)

Jason

26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Everything in this city is close.

27. Evilfordcoupe™

Evilfordcoupe™

It certainly doesnt feel like it when it takes 20 minutes to go 3 miles into downtown.

Jason

28. LFS11

LFS11

I'm still getting into driving shape but it would be great to get something set up either in the city or north peninsula.

29. Evilfordcoupe™

Evilfordcoupe™

Need help with anything???

-Jason

30. QuakeMonkey

QuakeMonkey

Add me to the list— I live in SF (Diamond Heights) and work on my 50 Fleetline at home in between family duties! You are right in that there doesn't seem to be many car guys, around but I think they just keep a low profile here. Just last week I saw a guy driving a Henry J gasser down Irving Street in the Sunset! Made some serious noise too.